1st Anniversary

Joined Sep 2005
2K Posts | 0+
Well, yesterday, June 3rd, was my wife and I's first anniversary. I has been one helluva year in addition to being the best year of my life. Two great kids and a beautiful wife in 1 year, how can you go wrong?

Couldn't decided what to buy the wife, so I figured out an alternative plan. She hasn't really gotten to go shopping at all since the twins were born so I gave her a goodly wad of cash and told her I would push the kids around the mall in the stroller while she shopped and tried stuff on. A good time was had by all. By the way, you cant make it 20 yards in the mall with twins without some woman stopping you and oooohing and aaaaahing and asking stupid questions like "are they both girls?". ("No lady, I dress my sons in pink for the fun of it." :twisted: )

Then we went home, the wife fed the kids and put them to bed. We had a good friend come over to babysit and we went out for dinner and a movie. We were going to go the the Macaroni Grill which had been reccomended to us by some friends. It was close to 8:30 by the time we got there, but it was still a 50 minute wait before you could get a table. Being rather hungry, we went to the Bennigan's across the street for dinner. There was a large group of serious rednecks at an adjoining table who were having a very intoxicated birthday party.

By rednecks, I am not talking about a rural michigander, but rather a true, "south of the mason-dixon line" redneck, complete with flowing mullet, harley davidson t-shirt, tight jean, tats, and bleached blond/fake tanned wife. I got to know quite a few of them when I lived in the Shenandoah Valley and they are great people. However, this was the first time I have ever seen any of them in the rather snooty town of Ann Arbor. Needless to say, it was an entertaining dinner, especially when the restaurant staff came out to harass the b-day boy by singing some obnoxious song. I though the entire bennigan's waitstaff was going to get their asses kicked by said rednecks, but apparently the copious quantities of budwiser had mellowed them out.

After dinner, we went to see a movie. Some appalling chick-flick which as all men know is not watched for any entertainment value but rather for its residual effects afterward. :wink: Got home about 11:30, the kids had slept the whole time, and it was a damn good day.

Furthermore, just to show how great of a wife I have, I have to include the present she bought me. To preface this, I have been out of cigars for a couple of weeks. The cash flow interruption of ending school/starting work has made things a bit tight until my paychecks finally arrive this week so I haven't been able to indulge for a bit. SHE BOUGHT ME A CUSANO SAMPLER FROM C.COM CAUSE SHE KNOWS THEY ARE MY FAVORITES!!!!!! I just finished a 18 Paired Maduro and it was exquisite. A solid 1 1/2 inch ash and verrrry tasty. A buddy was supposed to comeover tonight for a smoke but had to cancel at the last minute so I was alone with the stick, a warshteiner beer and beautiful night. (The wife was putting the kids to bed).

For the rest of this story to make sense, I need to include a little history. My bachelor party was quite a rousing experience. No strippers or anything like that, but rather a bunch of great guys, a ton of beer, and a cabin on a canal running into Lake Erie. At some point in the evening, a japanese beetle eating contest was started, of which I was the victor. This grossed my soon to be wife out in a rather extreme way, but thats ok.

Anyway, 1 year later I am sitting there with my beer and my cigar, and what flys by, but a japanese beetle. I just couldn't help myself. Washed down with a pull of warsteiner and followed by a puff on the Cusano, it was mighty tasty. I might just have to make a tradition of it.

All the best,

Joe

Joe,

Great story. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary. Here's wishing you many more my friend. Enjoy those twins for as long as you can!!!

Congratulations.......if i get hit by the beetles this year like I did last year i'll give you a call. You won't go hungry!!!

I always think of beetles when I think of my (future) wife too.

Congratulations Fargo. Here's to hoping you have many more happy years to come.

Congrats, Fargo, I hope it's just the first of many good years for you and your family. By the way, next time you run out of cigars, man, tell somebody. Heck, I'd be willing to provide a couple.

Congrats, Fargo!

So, umm, are we expecting more wonderful news in 9 months? :shock:

And yes, next time you run out of cigars, let me know! Sheesh, that's what we're here for! To help a brother out!

Doc-T said:
Congrats, Fargo!

So, umm, are we expecting more wonderful news in 9 months? :shock:

Not that I know of. :wink: I think breastfeeding two babies keeps that sort of news highly unlikely for the present.

I know that all you guys are incredibly generous and didn't want to presume upon your generousity when the problem was only temporary. Thats why I didn't say anything until I once again had some sticks. Thank you all so much for the well wishes and I never doubted for a second that you guys would hook a brutha up. I have never meet a classier bunch of people in my life than the members here.

All the best,

Joe

Congrats, buddy! Sounds lke you had a great time.

I had a similar contest with my buddies when I was in Iraq. To this day I have no idea what kind of bug we ate!

My wife and I will be celebrating our 1st anniversary in 3 weeks. Hopefully I'll have a story to compliment yours!

Semper Fi!

Congrats man!

I really enjoy the mental picture of you randomly snatching an insect from the air and nonchalantly popping it in you mouth! Wish I could have been a passerby for that one!

fargo said:
Not that I know of. :wink: I think breastfeeding two babies keeps that sort of news highly unlikely for the present.

Joe

Joe, Joe, Joe. You should let your wife breastfeed them! That will free you up to buy more cigars....

(I'm gonna keep checking over my shoulder til I'm certain you're nowhere near Texas)

Laughing my @$$ off........ :screw:

All in good fun my friend.

All the best,

Joe

Congratulations Fargo, sounds like that was a great night for you and your wife.

A while ago I watched a fishing buddy calmly slit open a steelhead he had just caught and squeeze it's belly until spawn came oozing out, he took a handful and shoved it into his mouth and swallowed and then shook his head and mouthed the words: "this ain't gonna work for bait." I don't know why but your beetle tale along with bringing a smile to my face also reminded me about my nutty friend. Thanks for the laugh.