2006 George T. Stagg Is Best Stagg Ever. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
Yes, I know it's MY opinion, that's why you're reading this. If it was some other guy/gal('s) opinion, you'd be reading THEIR opinion. But this is MY opinion, at the Excellence In Bourbon Network here, All Bloofy, All The Thyme, Not Live But Half-Dead Internet Radio Show, 6969.69 hz.

What's up with Bloof today? Hey, who is Bloof to come on here and tell us the 2006 George T. Stagg is the best Stagg ever? Didn't the first release, the 2002 win Whiskey Of The Year? What's Ol' George done lately? Who's this Bloof cat? The heck with Bloof!

Well, if that's the way you feel, you can go over and visit my Whiskey Sensei's friends at Straight Bourbon, because that's where the real home run hitters hang out. But you're here at Your American BackYard, the finest all-everything web site on the internet and I, El Bloofbaugh, am at your service here, and if you want someone else's opinion on the George T. Stagg 2006, well then, wait until they come along and give it.

In the meantime, I'm giving you mine, and frankly, this is my new No. 3 bourbon.

:eek:mg:

Hold on, I think that surprised even me. Hold on while I go ask myself.

:?

Okay, okay, sorry, it's not my new No. 3 bourbon, like knocking Pappy's 20 out of it's cherished position, but . . .

:?

well, yes it is, and yes, it does.

Ladies and gentlemen, I've only had three tastings of the 2006, 140.6 proof George T. Stagg bourbon, which I believe is about 15 years old. Those tastings, six shots, 18 sips, one tasting while being extremely ill, have been quite enough to convince me that this bourbon can vault almost all the way to the head of the class, ahead of such long-time favorites, stalwarts such as Booker's, The Classic Cask 20, Pappy's 20, and a vaunted newcomer like the Vintage 21.

I know I've occasionally referred in the past to the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot B as "perfect" bourbon, but this release of the George T. Stagg, checking in at a thunderous 140.6 proof is truly "perfect" bourbon. Through every sip, there has at no time been any unpleasantness, inconsistency or flaw that my palate could ever detect, ill or not. This bourbon is so incredibly smooth, well balanced and light bodied that until the head builds a little, you might think it's almost non-alcoholic!!!

The slowly building, reassuring warmth that creeps up from the belly after each sip easily assures high alcohol content. But the head and the body, not to mention an incredibly complex and unbeatable flavor profile, are what make this an outstanding bourbon.

The 2006 George T. Stagg Bourbon hits the palate with a shockingly silk and syrup-like, light bodied tingle and builds coquettishly into a buttery, sweet wood and caramel flavor. The wood is delicious. The finish is long, and it is hard from sip to sip to figure out whether it is a fine white wine, or perhaps rosé, maybe Frangelico or could it be Amaretto? There is in each sip from entry to finish, an undercurrent of sweet cherries running through the wood and winey, liqueur-like flavors.

People, there's been something "special" about this bourbon from the time I took my first sip. This decision wasn't hard, although it's always sad to see Pappy's 20 take a hit, or Booker's slip even further down the Top Ten. It's no shame, the 2006 George T. Stagg is that good. Get your butt to whatever web site you can, like Binny's as I did, or any store that you know, and buy the place out of this bourbon. Here is my new Top 25.

Top 25 Bourbon List
1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 year
2. Vintage 23 year
3. George T. Stagg 2006, 140.6 proof
4. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year
5. The Classic Cask 20 year
6. Vintage 21 year
7. Booker's
8. W.L. Weller 19 year
9. Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish
10. 2005 William Larue Weller, 121.9 proof
11. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon Fall 2006
12. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year, Lot B
13. George T. Stagg Fall 2005, 141.2 proof
14. The Classic Cask 18 year
15. George T. Stagg 2002, 137.6 proof
16. Baker's
17. George T. Stagg 2003, 142.7 proof
18. Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15 year
19. Knob Creek
20. Pure Kentucky (original 12 year)
21. Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve (original 101 proof)
22. Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year
23. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve
24. Sam Houston
25. The Classic Cask 17 year

i have never been much into bourbons. Maybe it is because i have not had the right bourbon.
However, after reading your posts i may have to go out and try some. You make it sound so wonderful. I hope that i too can share in your enthusiasm.

Yes, but differences are what make the world so interesting. Not everyone can like bourbon. Check out the rum thread, and see the two that recently disappointed me. How can that be when they're so highly touted by experienced rum drinkers, and I being someone who's always liked rum myself. :dunno: :dunno: We need more people in this world not being too interested in bourbon. Don't want to miss out on anything, and if we get too many people buying bourbon, there'll be none left for MEEEEEE!!! :cryinlaugh: