A conclusion on Old Potrero Single Malt Whiskey. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
As previously mentioned, this is Anchor Distilling Co.'s attempt to closely emulate the original American whiskey of the 1800's where rye was the prevailing grain, aging was minimal, and the use of charred oak barrels had yet to come into play.

This is a smooth, fine, very light colored whiskey, like that of straw. It is also very strong, right up there with Booker's bourbon, as it is bottled straight from the barrel, and clocks in at 124.4 proof, at least my bottle did.

In four different tastings I have detected fermented pears, wheat germ oil, light blue paint (in close kinship with wheat germ oil), honey and German white wine. It is incredibly unique, and as I was advised by a friend who is a consummate whiskey connoisseur, not at all like the usual bourbon/rye experience.

I can't argue with the obviously fine nature of this whiskey, but it's just too different for me. I have never been much of a wine drinker, but my impression during my first tasting up to my last, the fourth, was that this is a product that would probably be much better enjoyed by a wine drinker than yours truly. As such, I am finished with it, and it will soon be passed to a fellow spirits taster, and I will not be buying it again.

In short, it's great stuff, so don't be shy, give it a try, but it's just not for me.

Blue Paint???? how do you know it was Blue & mabe not orange, or brown ??? Enjoy, Vince

Different paints have different flavors. By the way, I found that Old Overholt Rye you were talking about. It's dirt cheap. That doesn't mean it's no good, but I'm inclined to pass. On the other hand, I can get a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye for about $24-25, which I might be inclined to spring for to do a trial run on that. Wild Turkey don't make no crap.

Old Overholt is /was a fine rye whiskey when it was made in Large Pa. since then I cant say what it is like , the only times I have tasted it was from people who worked there & took a few bottles home with them , I havent had a taste in many years , so I have no idea what it is like today, good for a buzz but not sippen ! Enjoy, Vince

Well see, I'm not in it for the buzz, although buzz does happen when I drink, but I do in fact, sip my bourbon or rye, at strictly spaced intervals, solely for the sake of relaxation and flavor, in addition to keeping me warm in the winter. Maybe I'll give it a try, but I suspect anything that can be had for $14-17.

I never liked the buzz much my self, when I drink I become more conservative, I dont want anyone to blame my actions on the booze, If I am going to moon some one I will be 100% sober ! hahahah, Enjoy, Vince ( thats because I dont want to trip over my pants when I run !!!)

OMG... you two!

The Old Potrero I suspect as you stated is not long aged and therefore is rogue with the rye presentation. In it's defense, it does not kill you with tannins like some other younger whisk(e)ys. It does have some raw ones though which I suspect is where you get the idea a wine-o might take an interest in it. :idea:

Exactly HP, and yes, in another post I mentioned that my bottle had two years and four months of aging, and I had been cautioned that this was unlike the usual bourbon or rye experience. Indeed it was, and the rest of the bottle is now in more appreciative hands, that of a good friend, who upon first tasting, described it as being much like grappa.

Such is the road of those who go . . .

In Search Of . . .

fine American whiskies.