A New Top 25 Bourbon List as The Classic Cask 18 . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
year old finds its place.

The bourbon/rye season is winding down in Bloofingtonia. :duh:

As temperatures rise, soon the Burmese python will arouse from its lethargy and demand rats. Large rats, four or five of them, wondering why it's gone from two or three feedings a year to one since we moved up here. Well, my lack of a car and a much longer cold season up here keeps ya slumberin' so much longer, my long fellow!!! :pumpkin:

And soon, this old man's fancy will turn to rum, Bombay Sapphire, my second ex-wife's homemade kahlua, etc.

But bourbon and rye sippin' is still goin' on right here in Bloofingtonia, and The Classic Cask 18 year old has not disappointed me in the least.

Unlike its 20 year old stablemate however, I find that this bourbon is less sophisticated. The flavor profile is less developed, not so bold and striking, and less versatile. What this bourbon does have is "classic bourbon" taste, and what else should we expect from The Classic Cask? I taste the straight up spicy oak, caramel and a little bit of maple syrup that mark so many top of the line, candy-like, straight on bourbons. No mystery here, no weirdness, and a very long, pleasing finish. A little bit of mineral water comes through here too. At times I also thought I detected the tangy hints of a mash bill heavy in rye. At 90.8 proof, it's also not a head thumper, just good, smooth, refined, classic bourbon.

The placement of this gem from this mysterious corporation that produces some of the finest single malt scotches as well as some of the best bourbon and rye offerings was rather difficult. Although special, this bourbon lacks the "extra special" thunder of its 20 year old cousin. It has taken much thought, and I just couldn't bump an "old faithful" out of its vaunted No. 7 spot, so this one will have to squeeze in ahead of the George T. Stagg 2002 version at No. 8, bumping George T. Stagg 2003 out of the Top 10.

So, let's raise a glass. Here's to another great bourbon for y'all to try. It's pricey, but worth it. Great sip after sip satisfaction.

Top 25 Bourbon List

1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old
2. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old
4. Booker's True Barrel
5. W.L. Weller Wheated 19 year old
6. Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish
7. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old
8. The Classic Cask Single Batch 18 year old
9. George T. Stagg 2002
10. Baker's
11. George T. Stagg 2003