A sad day for MLB

Joined Dec 2005
792 Posts | 0+
Vermont
Its a sad day for baseball. That lying, jucing, XXXXXX just hit 714. Its a damn discrace. Its bad enough Barry's a juicer, but hes always been such a jerk. It kills me to see him hit that homer. The Babe, and must be rolling over in his grave. I bet Hank Aaron is as discusted as I am. It has been interesting to hear the Fox brodcasters(Buck and McCarver) critisize the homer.

[Inappropriate Language Redacted by Staff. Please stay
within the spirit as well as the letter of the Guidelines]

It was also a sad day for baseball, when a now respected stock analyst, left the New York Mets, went to the Phillies, and suddenly grew big muscles, a Cro-Magnon face, and also began hitting homers. Barry bashing is a popular game these days, but if you want to indict people in MLB, I dare say you should go back to the early 80's. I know Barry's on his way to a vaunted record, but hundreds of players have used performance enhancing drugs in MLB over the past two decades.

Don't get me started on the NFL.

Trust me, I came from the sport that gave performance enhancing drugs to the world. For everyone that tests positive, there are dozens more in the sport (fill in sport here _____), like roaches in the walls, that you'll never know about.

Bash Barry, if you must, but don't forget, every time you turn on the TV to watch any major organized sport, you would be naive to think that you are watching a field full of Mr./Ms. Cleans.

yes, you are quite correct. It bothered me when McGwire hit 61 too. But beyond the steroids, Barry Bonds has never been a nice guy. hes been nasty to the press, other ballplayers, MLB, and most of all, to fans. He acts like a jerk, treats people like crap, and now seems genuinly suprized that people dont embrace him for all the things hes accomplished. he is one of the all time greatest talents in any sport, but he has wasted all that, because hes a jerk. Ty Cobb was one of the nastiest players of all time, and one of the most talented. People remeber him as the meanest guy in baseball history. But they respect him for how hard he played. Barry will never gain that kind of respect. Even Pete Rose, who was a total nightmare as a person, will always be respected for how hard he played, and how great he was, despite the gambling.
all those special records mean a lot to people.(61hr, 56games with a hit, 714hr, 755hr, 2131 games, etc) I'm not much of a Hank Aaron fan, but todays homer seems like a huge insult to a hard working, decent man, who went through alot because of his color by honestly breaking a halowed record. Its also a slap in the face to all of us fans who watched him blow kisses and take a bow for a great achievement today. An Achievement that he really didn't earn.

I can't disagree with your points, Jesse. It's just that we would have all had to turn off the TV decades ago, if we really didn't want to be exposed to this at all. Remember the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman of the late 70's and that impressive jog up to the line? Do you remember thinking something's up with these guys? I already knew, because I was already involved in the sport that the NFL players and subsequently players in other sports, would eventually tap for the knowledge of "enhancing" their performance.

One day I was watching a Steelers game, and the announcer said as they jogged up to the line, "Every one of those guys can bench press at least 500 pounds." MY, MY, all on one team, all these genetic marvels, built through hard work, prayer, Mom's cooking and a little help from Wheaties, no doubt. Well, Mike Webster died at 53, and his whole life turned out to be a storied saga of steroid use, and eventually other drugs. Are we surprised to hear that Webster, the Center, and bulwark of that line, was on "the juice" back then?

Do we have any proof to back up anything that our eyes tell us? Of course not, and in a court of law, anything "I knew" when I watched TV back then would be called "speculation." But it was true, and anyone who thinks Webster was the only guy on that line, or team that used, would be again, naive.

I don't want to spoil anyone's Barry bashing fun, and I know what kind of a guy he's been to the press, although he supposedly has done some wonderful things for kids. Of course, when you're rich, and you play games for a living, it's also easy to polish your tarnished image by reading to kids in front of cameras.

I just want everyone to remember during all their Barry bashing, that it's going on, and has been going on, down as far as the junior high school level for a long, long time. Americans learn Corruption 101 on daddy's knee, at least a good portion of American kids do. They also learn how to whine, yell and scream, make excuses and hire lawyers when they get caught. Just temper the Barry bashing with the realization that it's part and parcel of American culture, and the standout defensive tackle on the nearby high school team, could be just as juiced as we speculate Barry is. Remember, he's never tested positive. :roll:

Andybody watch the Preakness.....?

Sad day for racing. Barbaro was supposed to win today but had a mishap with the starting gates, he broke through the gate before the race started which usually injures a horse since the gates are kept close with a very strong magnet. Then in the first 100 yards of the race it looked like his back right ankle was stepped on or something, causing Prado to pull him out immiedetely, they say the injury will end his career, and hopefully will not be life threating. No Triple Crown this year.

Speaking of performance enhancing drugs, it's not always humans that are on them.

:wink: :roll: :roll: :cryinlaugh:

jesse52 said:
Its bad enough Barry's a juicer, but hes always been such a jerk.
So what? Are we going to ban evey performance enhancing substance? How about carbohydrates and protein? Both enhance performance, maybe they should be banned as well.

Bond's is a jerk because the media has been in his face 24x7 for years. It would drive you nutters too. The only reason that Hank Aaron isn't known for the same thing is that back in his day the sports media wasn't watching his every move.

The Babe didn't have to spend the off season in a bottle. After his spectacular 1921 season he could have trained hard. If he had trained half as hard as Bonds, McGuire or Sosa he probably would have been a career .400 hitter and been the first to hit 70, maybe the first with 300 hits in a season.

Hhhmmmm??? I'm not sure protein and carbs are illegal. However Bonds has been a jerk since his Pitt days. The Babe was an over weight, heavy drinking, party animal. You are right, if he had worked out as hard as Bonds, Big Mac, etc he probably would have done much more than he did. (Same with Mickey Mantel) However, he was a nice guy, was good to the fans, and went out of his way to be nice. Bonds has been a jerk, and he doesn't seem to really care what people think. which is fine. Now he just seems irritated that people are treating him as he has treated others. I'm not a Giants fan, and he plays on the opposite coast from me. So other than ESPN I don't have to watch him.
I was just giving my opinion. To me, I think him tieing the 714 record sucks. There are a ton of guys out there who play hard, play it straight, and play fair. Its a shame one of those guys didn't break 714.

Thanks
I didnt mean to start an argument. I'm a huge baseball fan, and those records mean alot.

I dont think you started anything. When I read all of the comments on this thread, I am reminded why I prefer Division I sports over most professional sports. People have not been corrupted by enourmous salaries and still have an obvious love of the game.

My favorite ballgame of the year is when I take my kids each June to watch the Vermont Lake Mosters(formally the Vt. Expos). They are Class 1A short season. This is the league where the new draft picks and college kids play. Guys like Andre Dawson started here a long time ago. It is a great time, and its really what baseball is suppose to be.

jesse52 said:
They are Class 1A short season.
I worked on a project in Chattanooga and stayed at a hotel two blocks away from the Chattanooga Lookout's (AA farm team for the Reds.) It was a great way to unwind. Eight bucks for field level box seats, maybe a buck for a Coke.

Major League sports is about the money. I quit watching baseball, quit reading about baseball and stopped caring about baseball after the second strike killed a lot of excitement in the game: Matt Williams had hit forty home runs and was on a pace to hit over sixty, Cecil Fielder was chasing 200 RBI's and Tony Gwynn was batting over .390. The organization killed the rest of the season. After I couldn't have cared less about the million dollar crybabies be they players, owners or network sports producers.

PS: None of the muscle building steroids were illegal before 1970. They had been very common in body building for years. It wasn't until after the obvious steroid usage by some of the olympic teams at the Munich Olympics that the campaign against steroids began.

I too stopped watching baseball, in '94 when that strike hit and we were repeatedly told by the players, it wasn't "about the money."

I guess it was about the integrity of the game. :roll:

I also stopped watchig untill 1996. I saw the "Cluless Joe" headline on the back page of the NY Post. I started to watch the Yankee games again to see just how "clueless" Joe was. I guess the Post was wrong, and as they say the rest is history. Its guys like Joe Torre that make baseball what it should be.

There are a lot of players left who still respect the game and the fans. Unfortunately there are a few rotten apples that try to spoil it for everyone. Thank God for hard-working players like Albert Pujols and Derek Jeter. Regardless if you like their respective teams they go out and give all they have every day.

I think that we have to be very careful not to classify athletes who take performance enhancing drugs as not working hard. Barry Bonds is questionable because of his demeanor, but his work ethic is legendary. That's why athletes succeed. Athletes don't take drugs and have things magically happen. You have to work at your sport. If you took steroids and HGH, along with stimulants, as these athletes do, and sat around and ate pie all day, it wouldn't happen for you.

I could go into a long harangue, which I just sort of went through in my head, but I won't. I will say that I have been involved in this discussion for over 33 years, have known and trained with some superstar athletes in my time, and was always privy to what was happening in The Iron Game, and to a certain exent, in Hollywood, like knowing about Rock Hudson 11 years before the gasping headlines.

Athletes who take performance enhancing drugs do work hard. Components of successful athletic performance can be roughly broken down into:

Genetics (inclusive of body type, potential, etc.)
Hard Work

and nowadays, those two combined with . . .

Performance Enhancing Drugs. You must combine all three in order to be a champion in certain sports, and in many sports, MOST participants must combine all three. The point is that NO ONE is able to leave out the hard work factor and still become a champion. Performance enhancing drug use is a nefarious activity to someone like myself, but these athletes do work hard. The drugs give them an advantage over those who don't use, but since so many use (INCLUDING SO MANY OF YOUR HEROES, AMERICA!!!), the field may stink, but it is level.

I would say those who don't take performance enhancers put in extra effort since they don't have anabolic steroids to increase their muscle mass and decrease their testicle size.