Allergic to yeast - say goodbye to the cold one

Joined Dec 2004
4K Posts | 0+
Northwest Arkansas
I'm so bummed. I'm a huge beer lover and I recently found out I'm alergic to yeast. I have a raging case of asthma brought about by allergies, so I got tested and yeast is a major irritant to me.

I'm taking immunotherapy, but it will probably be at least a year before I can have the occasional beer.

So - please tilt a cold one for me.

Can and will do - my mother-in-law has the same problem. She adapted and now drinks rum and cokes exclusively.

A friend introduced me to "real" beer, as opposed to Headache Inducing American Pisswater, in 1988. In the summer of 2003, for some reason, I became unable to drink beer, and have no more desire for it. I got headaches with just a couple sips, it no longer had the appetizing flavors it once did, and believe me, I had a lot of favorites among the imports and American microbrews, and that's it, 15 years, then poof!!! No more beer. Go figure. Maybe it's a yeast thingy.

Never fear, Kevin.

Have you tried Sapporo beer? I understand that it is specially filtered to take out a lot of the yeast that's left in the beer after the brewing process...plus, it's pretty good beer.

http://hero.com/sapporo/techno.html

Look at "Ceramic Filtration"

Almost all large commercially brewed beers have the yeast filtered out. The beers that are bottle conditioned (have active yeast in the bottle to continue fermenting and cleaning up the beer) can be gently poured into a glass and leave a small (1/2oz) of sediment and yeast behind.

I feel your pain. I would get a new doctor and second opinion before I gave up beer!

I used to drink that yeast, and all the sediment, whatever was in there. I loved it all, from the layer of black stuff sitting on the bottom of each 22 oz. bottle of Rogue's Shakespeare Stout, to the light colored, fluffy yeast clouding each 11 oz. bottle of Duvel. Unfortunately, at least for now, those days are over.

But, if this world lasts much longer, and God wills it, in a few more years, who knows? I'm 50.62, and the body does go through those cycles. I know I've seen certain things, like pasta, remain staples in my diet all my life, while certain other things have gone in and out of vogue with my palate and body.

Take heart, ye beer drinkers, once but no more!!! We may yet drink it again!!!

Thanks for the tip about filtered beers. It looks like I'll be able to have the occasional beer.

Captain Emo said:
Muerte said:
Pop a few benadryl!!!!.......just don't operate heavy machinery.

Yeah, a few benedryl washed down with a few beeers Nice!

In my case, why give up enjoying beer for 2 months during hayfever season when I don't have to??