allow me to introduce myself /a question for seasoned smoker

Joined Feb 2005
62 Posts | 0+
West Sussex, UK
Hi there - I am in the UK, near Gatwick airport, I have recently signed up to the fantastic CIGAR.com Cigar Of The Month Club having, up till now, only smoked Drug Store cigars like Phillies and White Owls it is nice to have some quality, my girlfriend got me a humidor for Christmas and away I went, I really enjoyed the Barbor Pole and everything I have recived so far and love the idea that I can go home after a hard day at work and puff on a nice cigar .......... my question is this:

What can I do now to further appriciate my new hobby ?

any feedback would be welcome

Always try new things is my advice. You will find your palat is always changing as it matures. When I started out I only liked naturals and mild cigars, then I went though a full bodied stage, then maduros, then for a few weeks I got into flavors (dont tell anyone) etc. So keep an open mind and "make new friends but keep the old" so they say.

Other suggestions would be to experiment with aging some of your cigars (this gets a little more advanced) and also try pairing your smokes with different beverages. If you are doing this at night after work to relax then a drink can really double your pleasure.

So many people get caught up on a cigar but sometimes what really makes the experience is not necessarily the cigar but who we are smoking it with, the occassion, the beverage that compliments it, the scenery etc.

Oh no I am rambling again.

oh no you weren't rambling ! - thanks for that - i really enjoy the fact that cigar smoking is not just a habitual thing like smoking cigs, it's a tradition, a lifestlye almost -

keep 'em coming fellow enthusiasts !

Right, a tradition, a life style, NOT a habit, but a pleasureable respite from the "dog-eat-dog" world. :mrgreen:

Try everything, find out what you like. Go on line, read about cigar tobacco history, cigar construction, different shapes, sizes, regions, etc. And by all means, keep that new humidor properly maintained. :cheerschug:

yeah i will keep an eye on the humidty and keep it topped up with distilled water - i read the directions, my Humidor has prime position on the table in the lounge, I am about to leave work, so I'll probably kick back with a good smoke later !

I think the longer you smoke the better it gets, the appreciation level only goes up in my book because as your palat developes every smoke reveals new things. See how smoking an aged cigar compared to a new one of the same make compares, smoke the same cigar one with the wrapper on, the other off, ask yourself what the difference is. smoke the same cigar that has been kept at two different RH levels, see what you like better. There are tons of things to do with this to expound your knowlege while having fun with it. For me, one of the most important thing to remember is that ultimately cigar smoking is a personal experience so the best thing to do is listen to your palat and what you like. Then comes the pairing of cigars with time of day, food drinks. Man, there is so much to do :D

As Bloof said, I read and read every book I could find on cigars, cigar regions, magazines, anything I could get my hands on I'd read. Okay, enough out of me, I'm rambling on :wink:

welcome si.

as these fine gents have already pointed out; it's all about 'experience'!

1. the experience you get from the relaxation and enjoyment of a fine cigar and the company or solitude you enjoy with it.

2. the experience you get from the COUNTLESS friends you will make along the way.

3. the experience you will gain as knowledge and appreciation of the subtleties and nuiances each maker, region, and smoke will bring to YOU in particular.

ALWAYS keep your humidor stocked, and never shy away from trying another stick.

8) see ya

After years of smoking cigars, I think I got kinda bored and moved on to the pipe. It takes a little practice and more patience; properly packing the pipe's bowl, lighting, keeping it lit...but once you get the hang of it, it's a snap. I'm not trying to steer you away from cigars, just keep it in mind for a change of pace. I enjoy a good Full English (Latakia blend) as much as any cigar I ever had. There's a great little known pipemaker not too far from you. Millville is the brand, and the pipemaker sets up shop in Covent Garden. A good pipe at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the reminder Tennesseelonewolf. A pipe is another very aromatic, relaxing and satisfying way to enjoy good tobacco. Like a cigar, it also goes well with something to drink, alcoholic or not.

WOW ! what a response - hey thanks guys for all your advice - I'll give it all a try and see what happens - HAPPY SMOKING !

a freind of mine used to smoke a pipe, i love the smell of pipe tobaco. he used to keep a bag of it in his car like potpouri, smelled soooooo good. i should do the same with an acid cigar or somthing. my car would smell really good then lol.

I see what you mean about the nice smell of tobacco, but a pipe always seems like a lot of effort for very little reward, I am happy to continue with my cigar smoking and having just recived my latest cigar of the month package I am very happy to smoke away -

Another question - what is the best way / method of lighting ?

My .02

One thing that really changed the world of smoking for me was my "Dossier"
A fancy word for a cigar journal.
I was gifted a Dossier by my wife 3 X'mas ago.
It had a place for a few different notes.
Size - brand- appearence- taste- date
OK, here is a big part for me.
My inablity to describe what I was smoking.
That took work!
But then what really changed was it became a journal of where I was, when and with who!

It was this journal that started my true journey into cigars.
Funny my thirst to learn then really took a turn __________________
Cigar smokers are friendly -
walk into any cigar bar sit down and talk with people I never meet like we were old friends.

I'll look for a file (if I can figure out how to up load a link)
to a good journal I will put one up here!
Not to good with computers but I will try!
CC

that sounds very interesting, I'd like to see an example of that

SiDog,

I think as Mac and Smoka' suggested, it's all about the experience. Eventually, you will get in tune with your preferences (i.e. times, people, places, etc.) as well as little ideosyncrasies that will make the cigar smoking experience truly your own. Favorite smokes and such are just the icing on the cake. Cheers.

DM

Si,

You've got some great advice here. Waht castlecrest said might be particularly helpful. Keep a journal, record what you liked about the cigar or for that matter, what you didn't like. Try afixing the band to the journal entry. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Find a reputable tobacconist, discover online sites; but remember that the local tobacconist depends upon his clientelle. He can become one of your best friends.

Bill

wowo thanks for all the sage - advice this thread is really growing it is almost like a A-Z for new smokers - I have to say I just got some Cigar.com purple labels, the churchill was really very good and for that price you can't go wrong ! - keep up the advice guys thanks so much - actually while I think of it is there such a thing as a cigar convention ?

Check with Cigar Aficionado. They run The Big Smoke every year. It's become a bit pricey and the last I heard the number of "free" cigars you got was down in the 20-something range, but I still say every cigar smoker should spend the money and go at least once before they die.