And the choice for tonight is . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
No. 7 on my list, and the one I have referred to as "perfect bourbon."

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot "B"

Because of the extension of the bourbon/rye season, I have been able to finish taste testing certain bourbons, and confirming the consistency, or lack thereof, of some old favorites as new bottles have been opened and moderately to extensively tasted.

This bourbon is still "perfect" in my book and well worthy of its placement in the royal range of my Top 25 at No. 7. The top seven on my list will indeed be very hard to ever move out of place. It was tough enough to place Pure Kentucky at No. 12 earlier this week, as I find that between places 8 and 14 there is about as much of a solidity as places No. 1 through 7, but with somewhat less rigidity. From place Nos. 15 to about 21, the field is not quite wide open but broadens considerably as far as what might get placed there at any point in the tasting of bourbons that are new to me.

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old. I don't think it can be moved from No. 7, unless it were somehow to go up. It's that good, and it won't cost you the price of an F-18A fighter jet.

Every time I hear you and R from D talk about this bourbon, I wonder if either of you have ever given the VW 15 year old a spin? My guess would be no because I don't ever recall it being mentioned.

To me (and this is just my personal tastebuds and opinion at work here) - the 15 year old pales the 12 significantly. Not that the 12 Reserve B is an inferior bourbon in the world of bourbons, it's just that the 15 is bordering on superior in the world of bourbons. To me, product quality / delivery divided by cost - the 15 is the best VW offering hands down.

My personal feeling is that if you have not tried the 15 you'd definitely find your number 7 in at least 8th place. Somewhere in the 1-7 there would be a shake up. I'm basing this conclusion on comparing the 2 (12 vs 15) particular bourbons. Then again, maybe you are familiar with the 15 and just have a conflicting opinion. In which case I second the assertion that you are plain nutz -LMFAO
8)

Nope, still haven't had it. It would cost me at least $10 more, and I've been testing the low end of the money spectrum lately. Next fall I promise you I shall give it a whirl, money permitting. Thanks for the reminder.

-That's what I figured. IMHO the added $3.33- per additional year that Julian kept this whisky is worth every penny when you compare the two.

With your luck and never ending changes in the industry, you sure you want to wait till fall? 8)

You may have a "point" there :D . I'll start looking at the various prices, but last I remember it was in the higher price range, which is why I held off. I've certainly been curious for awhile and you've definitely got me salivating. With the nights still being pretty cool around my way, and the basement being also cool, and nice and dry lately, I just might extend bourbon and rye season a bit longer.

Just did some checking, HP. Only available at two of my four favorite web sites. I'll have to check the liquor stores around here, but I'm likely to do better at a web site, and from the looks of things, it would cost me about $47-48 for a bottle depending on the size of the order. Too rich for my blood at this point, but I'll have to take your word for it until the day I give it a shot. Looks like it'll be a cool weekend at night up by me. Maybe I'll have to check out a liquor store. :wink: