...And this weekend was coming to such a nice close

Joined Jan 2005
2K Posts | 0+
So Cal
Well, the annual fireworks display held by my town just finished and I get a call from back east. It turns out my uncle, who is also my godfather, is in the hospital...and it doesn't look good. He was admitted last week after having breathing problems and his lungs have massive tissue damage. The doctors still have no clue as to the cause but they have him on a respirator since he had a massive stroke this morning. I just booked a flight to NY for tomorrow evening, but it's gonna be so hard to say goodbye. He's going to be sorely missed by my family. He was always the one with the jokes (no matter how many times he told the same one, he still had you rolling on the floor), he was always Santa for Christmas, and for New Years he would dress up as baby new year, wearing nothing but an adult diaper and banner with the year on it. He was a barber by profession ( I can't tell you how many times I saw Matt and Kevin Dillon in his chair getting a trim), and was also devoted member of his local church and a volunteer firefighter for as long as I can remember. But most importantly, he was a mentor to me, and my wine-making buddy. Ever since he quit smoking 20 years ago, he's been the healthiest member of my family. Sure, he had his daily wine and his Stock '84 brandy, but always had a clean bill of health. So you can imagine what a shock this is. I'm gonna miss my uncle so much. :cry: :cry: :cry:

If I didn't know better, I'd think I was living an episode of The Twilight Zone which is on right now. You see, the first 5 years of this decade have really sucked for my family:

2001: I lost 2 cousins and 7 friends on 9/11
2002: My brother was diagnosed with Leukemia
2004: Another uncle (his brother) passed away after a battle with colon cancer
...and now this...WTF!!

With all that's happened I have serious doubts about the beliefs I've been brought up with. I'm just glad I'll be around family this week so I won't be alone in my grief. I'm trying to look at the positives (as hard as it is):
Getting to have a smoke with some relatives that I only see at weddings and funerals, and being able to have some damn good pizza for a change! :lol:
Sorry for ramblin' on like this, but it's calming me down a bit.

Rough news there Axe, be safe traveling back to NY. I'm sure your family will need your presence there. I hope the best for your uncle.

That is more than a whole lot to go through in such a short time. May The Lord bless you and your family in this time of grief. You have my prayers and best wishes for strength and hope.

axe buddy. I am sorry to hear about your uncle. That is really tough. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

So sorry to hear about all your losses. It sounds like you had many good times with your uncle. Celebrate those instead ruminating over what could have been. Enjoy the time with your family and friends. You and your family are in our hearts.

Axe, very sorry to hear this news. Your arrival will be very important to all. Regards

Axe man, sorry it took so long for me to post, but I wasn't on the board much at all this weekend! My friend my thoughts go out to you and your family for strength and courage. I'm truely sorry to hear about your uncle, and I will hope for the best! Let me know if I can do anything for you, and if you need a break, Maryland isn;t too far away from NYC, so, maybe we can get together!

Take care and God Bless,
Paul

its definatly tough to loose someone that is such a big part of the family. Have a safe trip. My prayers are sent for you.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts fellas, it means alot :thumbsup: I'm heading down to San Diego to catch my flight now. I'll check in when I get the chance. I'm gonna need the distraction, but more importantly a good laugh :)

Later

God bless you and your family.
It is always a hard thing to lose people you love.
Prayers sent.

Well, I just got the call a little while ago. My uncle passed away this morning, exactly 69 years after he was born. I guess he was tired of being hooked up to all those machines and wanted to wait till his birthday. My aunt said that about a 1/2 hour afterwards, it looked like he had a smile on his face. Damn I'm gonna miss him. :cry: If there is a Great Beyond or Heaven or Cigar Lounge in the sky, I hope he's found it and is smoking something good with his brother who passed away on 7/19/04. So I head back east again on Sunday night and return on Wednesday. I like building up frequent flier miles but this is not what I had in mind :roll:
I'll wait till tomorrow to smoke the PBL because I wont be able to give it a fair assessment tonight.
A couple of summers ago I was sitting in my uncle's yard for a barbeque. We were having some scotch, just shooting the s***. I take out two Añejo 55's and we proceeded to smoke em. Afterwards he told me it was the best cigar he's ever had. I think one of those tonight as well as nothing less than 80 proof will be a nice tribute to my uncle...
Here's to you Uncle Nick :wine:

Sorry for your loss. I know what it is like to lose a close Uncle. Keep a positive attitude, and don't let the good memories fade away. Ryan

Thanks Ryan, the next few days are gonna be spent with family recalling numerous good times...and weather permitting, good smokes :)