Another Newbie Question

Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts | 0+
Okanogan Wa.
OK I have read some of you talking about Padron cigars, my question is which one/type would you recommend, I am always looking for new smokes and after doing some looking I would like to give them a shot, I was more into the mild/medium cigars for a bit but am finding that I like the full side of the spectrum as long as it is a better (real premium vs cheap premium) made cigar any ideas, feed back would be great Thanks in advance

I've only smoked the Padron 2000 and it might be a good one to start with price-wise. I'm somewhat frugal, so I'm always looking for a good price on the more expensive cigars and I did manage to pick up a fiver of Padron 2000s for $ 16. The best of brand would be tough to find under $ 10 a stick.

If price isn't a consideration, I would recommend the 1964 and 1924. Both are like smoking a slice of red velvet cake. Yes, they are that good.

DL

Thanks guys, also the link I was originally wondering about was this. Sorry guys stupid spell check (thought I had it off) I would like to know about Perdomo cigars. Also for the most part price is not an issue, worked hard most of my life and outside of my son I don't mind blowing money on what I consider the good things in life

I've only had a few Perdomos. They were OK with a counterfeit cuban being pretty good. I have the intent to try a few more, 2 in particular that the guys here say are good.

The only Perdomos that I have smoked were the Frescos which are a very good inexpensive cigar, There used to be a podcast called "The Cigar Nation", they were quite hyped on everything Perdomo. If you go to Famous Smokeshop (I would provide the link, but I am not sure if thats allowed), they have two samplers that will keep you busy for quite a while. Just make sure you report back when you smoke them.

RAshadog,

Perdomo is another brand you can't go wrong with. The Habano and Lot 23 are my favorite lines. The good thing is that they are pretty inexpensive.

DL

Again thanks guys, As I stated looking for new ideas and as I read in a few other posts got my start at Thompson's but not sure I want to stick with them, looking at cigar.com as several post's have mentioned them, any other suggestions welcome, I have a hard time getting sticks where I live other than mail order, in luck right now visiting in Portland Ore./Vancouver Wa. so any ideas on some I could pick up also welcome

I don't have experience with Thompsons but I hear that they can be very demanding. I understand that they go as far as giving you "courtesy calls" to drum up your business. This may or not be true, but I have heard it several times in the past on forums that I am no longer a member of.

Now I have had first hand experience with cigar.com. It how I discovered this place. I used to get their cigar of the month subscription. Once a month they send you 5 quality cigars with a newsletter describing each cigar. I haven't had the subscription in about 3 years but have considered resubscibing.

DL

Keep in mind, you won't see Perdomo cigars in Cigar Aficionado because Nick Perdomo doesn't advertise with them. Actually, he doesn't advertise anywhere. He sells by word of mouth and is why he can afford to absorb the SCHIP tax and not pass it on to the customer.

All of Perdomo cigars are medium to full body cigars. The Champaign is a really smooth, medium body smoke and is one of my favorites. It's one of those cigars that stays consistent through the whole smoke.

Their 20th Anniversary is a fantastic smoke and has been one of my go to smokes as of late.

Tony, what is a counterfeit Cuban?
They were OK with a counterfeit cuban being pretty good.
Other than is being grown in Nicaragua, the seed is Cuban and Aristides Garcia is head of Perdomo's pre-production operations is retired from running the cigar zones for the Cuban government. He is a master cigar maker. Aristides told us that when he goes back to Cuba (for one month, every year), his friends and family prefer the Nica cigars over the Cubans because the Cuban government has destroyed the tobacco industry there.

I get my cigars from Little Brown Smoke Shack in Yakima, WA. They have a huge selection of cigars at some of the best prices you'll find. Out of Cigar Aficionado's top 25 cigars, they have all but eight in stock.

I had CA's #7 pick last night Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Belicoso No. 2 last night. I have to say, it had just the touch of spice which gave it an excellent flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed it right down to the nub.

Last edited:
It was a churchill cigar with a wrapper than felt somewhat suede-like. A pretty good cigar that I only had five of and can't find right now anywhere. I think I got them from JR or Thompson and that they were made by Perdomo. JR carries a whole line of "original counterfeit cubans", but I'm not sure if they are the ones. I'll keep checking and let you know if I find anything more on them.

It was a churchill cigar with a wrapper than felt somewhat suede-like. A pretty good cigar that I only had five of and can't find right now anywhere. I think I got them from JR or Thompson and that they were made by Perdomo. JR carries a whole line of "original counterfeit cubans", but I'm not sure if they are the ones. I'll keep checking and let you know if I find anything more on them.

PERDOMO Cuban Bullet Churchill perhaps? I think this is similar to Perdomo's Nick Cigars which is his low end cigar.

Now if you want the cream of Perdomo cigars try the Edicion De Silvio. At $18 a pop, my consumption of these gems is extremely limited. They are amazing though.

No, it was a cuban counterfeit that I got in June 2011 from Thompson. Cannot find them on Thompsons current cigar listing. Perhaps a small batch exclusive. I've had the cuban bullets and nick's sticks and they were not very good. This was a better cigar-the best of the Perdomos I've tried and it looks like I'll not be finding any more.

Rashadog, if you're still in Portland look up

11th Ave. Liquor and Smoke Shop
1040 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, OR.

The store manager, Adam Solomon, was on the same Perdomo Factory tour in Nicaragua that I was on. He's a really good guy and has Perdomo cigars fresh in his mind. He'll be able to steer you toward many good sticks (even non-Perdomo cigars). He claimed his prices are some of the most competitive in the country.

Thanks everyone And thanks DGJ I will definitely be checking out the smoke shop while I am here, I must also say I am glad I choose this forum over some others, so far great bunch of people along with prompt and great advice and help

You are very welcome brother. Enjoy your stay in Portland, and keep us appraised of your cigar adventures!!