Another one Bites the Dust!

Joined Dec 2006
629 Posts | 0+
CT
Last night, my wife and I along with 2 other couples went out to dinner and to see a comedy show. Decided to stop by our local Elks Lodge for a nightcap and a cigar(one of the guys smokes cigars and the other couple both smoke cigs). After ordering drinks, we broke out our cigars and were about to light up, when we were informed that the club went smoke-free August 1. I couldn't believe it and still can't!! After talking to the bartender and one of the officers, it appears that a few of the club officers had a closed door meeting in July and decided to go smoke free, so that they could rent the hall to non Elk members and make a few more $$, so they thought. They both said that business has been way off since this went into effect. This was the one semi-public place that I could go and have a cigar, watch a ballgame, play cards etc with my buddies. I feel like a man without a country! Depression has set in!

:? :cry: :x

Wow - just seems to me that a decision like that should be brought before the membership. Sorry to hear it man.

Kelvin said:
Wow - just seems to me that a decision like that should be brought before the membership. Sorry to hear it man.

I'm totally with Kelvin on this one. That seems like a pretty sneaky, underhanded thing to do to the members all in the name of making a few bucks, which apparently isn't happening anyhow. Hopefully they'll realize their mistake and make things right.

Hey Brothers,

Thanks for your comments. I was at the lodge last night and talked to a few Brother Elks. From what I understand, a few of the new officers are women(we started accepting women as members about 10 years ago because of law suits). They were not happy about members enjoying themselves by smoking in the lodge and they were the ones behind this nonsense. However, what's done cannot be undone. They had to apply to the state for this new license, which does not allow smoking, but allows the public to rent the hall for parties etc. Anyways, I will take myself back to my home lodge where I am a PER(91-92) in Meriden and smoking is still allowed. Hope all this fun does not come to a place near all of you!

Greetings form Minnesota,

If you have not heard our problem here is much worse. As of October 1st smoking is outlawed in all bars resturants and other establishments.

So your pain is felt 10x's over. It seems that the us is slowly taking away our freedom. This choice should be left to the owners of the business. If people don't like the smoke they shuld have ot find another place. However I feel that this is just one of many things that have been snatched from us without just cause.

Ex. If I don't want to wear a seat belt that should be my choice. In not doing so I am not hindering the lives of innocent bistanderds.

A little freedom but freedom none the less. The more and more I listen and observe the more and more I see this country slipping away from its foundation. The core beleifes that this country was bulid on. The standards that i am proud to beleive in. I think it is time we sit back and look at what we have grown into. I cannot say that I am proud of this countries newly adopted way of being.

Sorry for the rant and sorry to those who do not see eye to eye with me. It is just my oppinion and it needed to be shared.

I hear you Jack. We here is CT have not been able to smoke in bars/ restaurants since 2003. The local fraternal orders were the only places you could smoke, and cigar stores. Now, I can't smoke in my local Elks and have to go 15 minutes away to have a cigar in the Meriden lodge. You are correct, our freedoms are slowly being taken away.