Another reason why I return to cigar.com

Joined May 2005
186 Posts | 0+
Toronto, Canada
I'm semi-ticked off right now. No one did anything to me. I'm not in trouble either. But I'm ticked off at the cost of cigars in Canada!!!!

I've been trying to get my hand on some arturo fuente hemingway short story's to keep around as one of those on-the-go smokes so I call up my local tobacconist (that I hardly visit because they overcharge like crazy-you'll see why) and I ask if they have the Hemingways.. they say yes and ask which size. I promptly tell them that I'm looking for the Short Story.. then the man proceeds to tell me they cost 30$ canadian!!! That's 23.82$US!!! Why would I pay 24$ when I can get them for 6 or 7$ on cigar.com? :evil: Toronto really sucks sometimes..

I should've just ordered them off the site in the first place but I wanted to check if the locals stocked these cigars so maybe I can bypass customs fees (they charge like a rabid rhino)

Anyways, that's my rant for today. Haha thanks for bearing with me

WOW!!! and I thought the prices at some of the Local Maryland area shops were high!! That's terrible man, is there anyway we can send ya smokes without bands or something? I'm unfamiliar with how customs works for Canada sorry.

When you buy mailorder and ship to canada, whatever the bill is $$$ for the cigars you paid in USD, that is the same amount customs hits you with taxes. Then sometime local provinces have their own taxes on top of that.

So if I were to "Gift" him a box, what then? would he be taxed on estimated value in US?

Usually there are no customs for gifts from the US but with some restrictions. Last time I checked anything up to a box is considered for personal use and lower than $75 in value and therefore not taxed, but that never really stops them. You can claim that the cigars are worth less than $75 and hope that customs won't charge you anything.

And while you are sending a box to montnoir, send one to me too! :D

So there aren't any customs charges if it's a 'gift'??

If so, can I ask for someone to help me purchase some cigars and then send it as a gift?

The last time I ordered a box of gran habano + a padron 1964 imperial, (aruond 100$ purchase), customs charged me 300$ canadian!!!!

i dont really see how they have to know whats in the box. just tell them its something else. what are they going to do? open the box?

Please don't tell me you paid the $300...because that's just plain criminal.

Ahhhhh... crap looking at all the regulations I find this...

"17. The benefits of the gift exemption do not apply to importations of advertising matter, tobacco, and alcoholic beverages."

However if you were to go to the states and buy cigars you may bring up to 50 Cigars back. Yeah, sucks for us Canadians.

jihiggs said:
i dont really see how they have to know whats in the box. just tell them its something else. what are they going to do? open the box?

You've got a point. I'm not sure what happens if they DO check it but I'm sure it can't be good in any way or form.

In the end I paid 450$CAN for 21 sticks. There was a 150$CAN from the order itself + express shipping and then converted to canadian funds. Then customs charged me (if I remember correctly) 306$CAN. Yeah, that was a major kick in my wallet, considering I'm just a university student.

If you guys want to hear more about atrocious cigar prices of Canada, I bought an arturo fuente 8-5-8 flor fina (natural) for 26$CAN when in the US you can get them for around 6$CAN.

Well, perhaps if you label it as like "Gourmet chocolates" or something they'll just let it go through?

As for mislabeling a package, my friend actually ordered an M4A1 airsoft pellet gun from out of the country and the store he bought it from labelled the package as 'baseball bat' and customs just let it go through.

This is a little off topic but...
University? Which one? I go to University of Toronto although next year I'm taking a year off so I can go make some money for school. Sucks.

Montnoir, I'd be more then happy to help you get a box, PM me with your information, and let's talk. tombstone if you are serious PM as well. That's a rough thing to hear someone paying so much for sticks. Who wass it recently that ordered sticks for Cigar.com to the UK and the UK slammed him with a ridiculous amount of taxes?

Tombstone, I study at U of Waterloo but after next year, I'm applying to transfer to Michener for either radiology or nuclear medicine.

Thanks so much, Eclipse!

His order from Cigar.com was held up by customs and a very similar situation occured where, he had spent like 150.00 US and ended up paying another like 200.00 US for taxes right? I may have the numbers wrong, but it was seriously wrong whatever the numbers.

Poor guy just wanted some DIPLOMA'S!!! :rock:

Montnoir,

I sympathize with your situation. THAT is a lot of money to pay for sticks. However, I would advise that, before anybody starts sending M gift packages of cigars, know that if by chance Canadian Customs does open up the box(es) a couple of things can happen. (1) They can confiscate and fine M; (2) they can possibly fine you (the sender) for breaking Can/US Customs regulations and (3) your return address can/will go on a list, which will be distributed to U.S. Authorities.

This is similar to what folks who buy Cuban sticks from Canadian resellers have to risk (although somewhat worse, if you read the fines, etc.).

cian

Agreed, it would definately not be anything but a one time deal fella's!! Can't be a reseller!! that's for sure....Down sides to living everywhere! Sticks maybe expensive up there, but you can buy cubans locally, not as expensive here, but we can't buy cubans. It's a give and take I suppose!