any body interested?

Joined Feb 2006
2K Posts | 3+
Kelvin's House
I was wondering if anybody has converted a Cigar oasis to the watersorb polymers. I am going to do another one and take pictures, as kind of a how to. anybody interested?

I'd like to see that. I've given some thought to that too. By the way, this is my 1000 post. The first person to PM me gets a five pack of cigars. Seriously.

Converting a Cigar Oasis to what? I'm not quite following...
Show me :) :)

SLEEPER said:
Converting a Cigar Oasis to what? I'm not quite following...
Show me :) :)

He's talking about changing the medium in the water tank.
Using a watersorb polymers instead of the foam they come with.
End result - holds more water.

I had been meaning to do this but never got around to it. It would be a nice reference to see again.

But, doesn't this just make it so that water doesn't slosh around and you don't have to use the wicks anymore? I'm not sure how it would hold more water as the crystals themselves have mass. I'm no physics whiz though.

Quag, I would say that it will hold twice the water. Those polymers are unbelivable. I have an Oasis that I have done already, and I love it. I have another that I have not done yet, I will do it this weekend, it is really easy.

iminaquagmire said:
I had been meaning to do this but never got around to it. It would be a nice reference to see again.

But, doesn't this just make it so that water doesn't slosh around and you don't have to use the wicks anymore? I'm not sure how it would hold more water as the crystals themselves have mass. I'm no physics whiz though.

Quag - I studied physics in high school. There is magic pixie dust in the polymers that allow it to hold more water. It's a scientific fact. Ask Bobberrific (aka the Professor) - he will concur. :roll:

never say kev and work in the same sentence.

I would definetly like to see this and possible do this...

I am wondering, do the polymers absorb moisture from the air as well? because if they did then it would cure the age old problem of the oasis not being able to remove excess miosture, only introduce it. I've been thinking of filling the unit with the beads to get the moisture absorbtion properties but if the polymers can do the same thing, and hold more moisture.....?

Active humidity controll with moisture absorbtion...what could be better?

I've been thinking about it for a while, just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. Seems like the right thread oppertunity to kick this one around for a while...

Chris - I have been waiting for your photo essay before I proceed. Since you are the humidity master I bow to your expertise.

Steve - I am highly offended by that remark. Hmmmmm....it is going to be around 60 degrees this week .....golf course is still open...........

From what I understand they allow the same space to hold more water. -
I've said/asked the same question a few times.

Heck, here in the winter it is 70, think you could golf in that?

Not only could we golf we would have to wear sun screen! By the way Chris I would definetly like to see pictures on the topic at hand, if anyone can remember what that was.