Attn: Vince

Joined Mar 2005
871 Posts | 0+
South Florida
Let's continue this here instead of mucking up that other thread more.

You said I cut too much off the cigar in the photo, but I find with those particular cigars (Hemingways), the draw is almost impossible if I don't cut them that way. I'd rather not clip off a piece of the foot either. Any suggestions?

the pic in question:

[img=left]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/Wolfdaddy/DSC03960.jpg[/img]

I'm no Vince...but as long as you confine the cut to the cap, there shouldn't be an issue. I like really thin cuts, but it depends on the shape and draw of the cigar. Nice photo, by the way!

as a rule, i punch or v cut hemingways (mostly bestsellers). i think they smoke much better that way (imho - ymmv)

Cut looks good to me, Wolfy, and I don't know what happened in the other thread, but I think zdpin has a capital idea. Personally, I've never really had a problem with Hemingway Classics when it comes to draw, but if you get a bad one, then I think zdpin's idea sounds almost fail safe.

On a torpedo shaped cigar many people cut at a slight diagonal.
It creates a bigger opening without cutting as far up on the entire cigar.

He actually did that, if you look closely. I've looked at this photo several times, and he cut it exactly where I cut all my Hemingways. If there's a problem with the draw after that, do what zdpin said.

fwiw i've never had any draw issues with a hemingway (any size, although you get some wacky burns with a btl) or any shaped cigars (torps, belis, etc). it is my understanding that shaped cigars are made by the best rollers and less prone to draw issues.

WOW a lot of comments here, it was just a little "pulling you chain" But I do cut a lot thinner & I do use a V cut on all torps & I like to use a punch on large ring smokes , , I carry a xikar cutter & pride myself on slicing it thin like a truffel , the thickness of the tabacco leaf, I stack up a bunch of the cut discs & smoke them in my pipe, Never let anything go to waste ! hahaha , Nothing personal it was more of a joke , didnt mean to offend anyone, sorry, Enjoy, Vince

I wasn't offended, I was just curious about someting I might have been doing wrong. :wink:

I don't have a V cutter, but I do have a punch, so I will try that. Thanks for the input, guys.

Nice picture Wolfy, that is exactly the way that my guy at the B&M cut one for me, but I prefer to take a little less of the top if you know what I mean.

Good tip Vince. Lately I have just been using my trusty Victrinox knife, and I prefer to just shave it too. It is kind of like slicing thin slices of Roast Beef ( Yummy!!)

That said, I would like to see some pictures of V cuts. I am thinking I could do that with my trusty Victinox too.

There you go!

yes, me too... I have heard of the "v" cut, but do not actually know what it looks like, or how to do it.

Unless you've been smoking cigars since 654 B.C. like Vince, and using a knife about the same time, you need a V-Cutter, Spider. Vince was a Navy cook and, like I said, has been smoking cigars since Biblical times. He can probably do a V-cut freehand. All others should use a V-cutter.

Oh, and by the way, it looks exactly like it sounds, a cut in the shape of a "V." Weird, but it works.

Bloofington said:
Unless you've been smoking cigars since 654 B.C. like Vince, and using a knife about the same time, you need a V-Cutter, Spider. Vince was a Navy cook and, like I said, has been smoking cigars since Biblical times. He can probably do a V-cut freehand. All others should use a V-cutter.

Oh, and by the way, it looks exactly like it sounds, a cut in the shape of a "V." Weird, but it works.

bloof, you always provide the best entertainment :lol:

I have this BIG V Cutter a desk unit, made of Lucite, & brass, real impressive looking toy, but I have taken it out of the shop & it is now in the Qtr.Deck, every one thought it was a slot machine & pulled the handle down till it ended up stripping the threads on the shaft, well it is fine here I use it all the time , I have a pocket V cutter, looks like a 2 finget blade cutter, & I have a real nice old style V cutter woth out finger holes but it need to be sharpened, I just never got to it yet, I cut a V free hand like Bloofy said, just take you pocket knife or your 10 inch chefs knife & hold the cigar in you left hand, put the blade at a 30 to 45 degree angle to the cigar & make a slice about 1/8 inch deep, , remove the blade & spin the cigar 180 degrees, make a second cut , finishing at the bottom of the first cut, remove the tobacco between the cuts, , , , , You have a V cut , I dont have a camera to show you how to do it, but if you want to stop in the Qtr.Deck class room is always open , we give cigar lessons whisky lessons & food lessons along with Jazz , blues , new age & classical , no Polka , no country, NO RAP
Enjoy, Vince

There is a really good bar called the Trivia Pub that also has good food. Plus, Vince is the proud owner of the Qtr Deck and that is also a fine place to gather for a little smoke and a lot of BS!

Definitely come visit - you'll have a good time I'm sure

[quote="Bobberrific"

I need to come hang out with you Pittsburgh guys, I'm only about 2 hours away. Maybe Adam and I will take a trip out one of these days. Is this place where you guys smoke cigars a bar? Or could we get 'special' permission to go in?

quote]
special permission ?? why are you under 21? , if you are then we can hang out at the Qtr.Deck ( my smoking room ) or at B&B Cigar shop ( I have a key !) hahahaha , Everyone is welcome , Bring your own Beer , I dont drink beer any more, but I do have a lot of Single malt scotch , Coffee & cigars to go arround
Enjoy, Vince

UNDER 21 , dammm I have stains in my underware older than that hahahahahaha , so No booze for you ( maybe an eye dropper full ) just for the taste hahahahaha, you & your buddy are welcome at the Qtr.deck anytime , so is everyone welcome, just bring your own beer, I dont have any , & I will not be getting any more anytime soon, I just dont drink anything carbonated any more & flat beer just isnt on my list as a good drink . Enjoy, Vince

[quote="vince" I carry a xikar cutter & pride myself on slicing it thin like a truffel , the thickness of the tabacco leaf, Enjoy, Vince[/quote]

I can attest to this :D

UNDER 21 , dammm I have stains in my underware older than that
EWW your pretty damn gross...but ive heard em all because im under 21 (just turned 20 in dec) and all the old timers at my job say the same thing all pertaning to there underwear. " I have underwear older then you" " I have more time on the job in the bathroom then you have been on the job" "I have underwear older then you and hes wearing them" ( Pointing to the guy next to him) "Iv got socks older then you"

I'm not much older than 21 myself. :roll:

Bob, if you try to take my cigars away we're gonna fight. :throwrock: