Aw man, ya gotta love these torch lighters...

Joined Apr 2004
289 Posts | 0+
NJ
I bought one from the local Shoprite the other day for, I think it was $4.00. No typo, $4.00. I thought...what the he!!, if it breaks it's only $4 right? What a difference compared to the old trusty Zippo. This thing lights a cigar very nicely. Nice and even. Here's my method: I hold the lighter far enough away so that the flame doesn't come in direct contact with the foot. I let the superheated air do the work. I kinda "tickle" the foot with the air moving it around and around and back and forth slowly until the foot starts to turn red. When it's all red...I'm done! as a matter of fact I'm enjoying an Ashton right now :D. The Shoprite that I mentioned above has a great selection of cigars to choose from too. Anything from Cohibas, Macanudos, Monte's to Comachos, Acid somethinganothers and Baccarats. Speaking of Baccarats...I like these cigars! They're mild, have that sweet cap on 'em and they're not bad on price either. They're like $3.50 each at Shoprite. I think I've found my everyday smoke! You guys like Baccarats? Simp

That's the way to light it Simp. That's amazing that you find those cigars at Shoprite, but then again if you remember the old Tony Bennett song Don't Get Around Much Anymore, well, I never did. I was a boring old man at 12 and three dozen years later it's still true, except now I don't have to compensate or make excuses, I can actually bask in being old!!! :mrgreen:

I heard that the zippo fuel will taint the flavor of a cigar. Is that true? I actually lite my cigars just as Simp discribe.
I have some of those bacarats that was bought in a group buy. They are a nice easy cigar.

Martin

They're a nice cigar. I know it's not a Cuban (never smoked one) but for the money they're worth it. Everytime we go down to see my parents we pass JR. I usually don't stop but from now on I'll have to. BTW, I'm smoking one now! :D Simp

Don't worry too much about that flavor RedLeg. If that cigar is going and you've blown on the embers to help the fire spread over the foot, by the time you puff there won't be any flavor left. The fuel will have all burnt off.

If you guys like the Bacarat's, you should give the Camancho Corojo Monarca a try. A bit stronger, but they are both Caribe Cigars, and the Camancho is making it's way up the top of my everyday list. I can't push the Padron 6000 Mad's off if I try! :wink:

Padron maduro's are definitely one of the most consistent and basically nice tasting cigars I've ever tried.

Ok, so I don't know diddly about cigars...but I've read and/or heard that the only way to light a good cigar is with a wooden match. Is there any truth to this, or is this just another example of "elitism" talk, like saying the only real pistol is the 1911?
Thanks,

I wouldn't exactly call it elitism. It's a bit tricky, but definitely effective. Some people have a tried and true method they stick with because it's comfortable and it's always worked for them. It's also cultural. It might depend on how it was done by most of the people you were around when you started. You started that way and stuck with it.