Back From RTDA

Joined Dec 2004
1K Posts | 0+
Chicago
Sorry I did not update after the first day. The show this year was only three days and it was a lot of work.

All in all I thought the releases this year were decent, there were a few cigars that really impressed me but it seems that more and more cigar makers were launching sticks in the 10 - 20 $$$ price range which may be a bit too optomistic. But we will see how they turn out. I am still smoking through all of my samples, but here is a quick review of what I have had thus far:

Partagas 160: Upon further research this is actually the exact same blend and lot of tobaccos used 10 years ago to make the 150. The only difference is that they were just rolled. Even the wrapper is the 1977 Cameroon. I smoked one and thought it was pretty light in flavor (probably due to the age of the tobacco) but a decent smoke. Looks like these will retail in the 15 - 30$$$$ a stick price range. 88/100

CAO Vision: Not nearly as full bodied as I had expected. The wrapper is rich and the cigar is tasty. Medium Bodied with a dry and spicy aroma. This is a great cigar but pricy. 12 - 16$$$ a stick. 90/100

Oliva Series S: Nice fuller bodied Nicaraguan. It reminded me of the bold that is no longer being made. Dry and wet on the palate with a long finish. Full Bodied. 87/100

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Perfecto: These were the same size as the short story and absolutely amazing. I think it will be an even better combo for you morning short story and coffee drinkers. 92/100

Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut: Had a lot of Rockyesk traits in the filler and the wrapper was smoothed. It reminds me of a vintage fused with an edge lite. 86/100

Victor Sinclair 10th Anniversary: This cigar was a total sleeper. The wrapper is not much in the looks department but the flavor and balance was fantastic. Plus they priced it righ at just over $5.00 a stick. 90/100

Graycliff Professionale Vintage 1999: This is a cool stick that will be exlcusive to Cigar.com and one other retailer. The owners of Graycliff found a small stock of Professionales that got misplaced in the warehouse in 1999 and they are being banded and sent over. 92/100

I will have more reviews to come as I plow through more samples. The theme of the show was definately Dominican Wrapper. These have been a long time favorite and it looks like at least 7 new releases had one. Most notable was the Vision, Victor Sinclair, and the Partagas Cifuentes blend.

I did get a chance to try the new Tatuaje but did not write down any notes. I just remembered that it was fantastic.

Some of the other releases I am excited about and have yet to try are:

Cohiba Black
Mac Vintage 2000
EO Brands came out with their new 601 that is being made by Pepin Garcia in both a connecticut and habano
Padillas new 1932 also made by Pepin
Gurkha Beauty
CAO Britalia (Brazilia and Italia mix made in funky shapes)
Oliva Master Blends III

RP Perfecto! Now I GOTTA try that! But no 1992 perfectos?

Looking to hear more about the Gurkha Beauty.

Thanks for the update Alex. Looks like I'll be reaching deep in the wallet for two new CAO sticks.

Any idea when they should be available?

The price on the vision seams high. I don't knwo If I would buy a 16 buck CAO cigar. About as much as I will spend on a n/c cigar is 10 bucks for an opus x.

The new perfecto will be available in the 1992 and 1990 lines both. I only had a chance to try the 90 though and it was fantastic.

As for the vision, the box has a self sustaining humidification system, exterior digital hygromoter, protective cover for use as a travel humidor, and a lighting system. The cost of the cigar is probably a result of the cost of the box IMHO.

The Cuban Blend is a cigar that is being made for one of my competitors so I am keeping that under my hat.

I am flying down to Honduras with Rocky on Monday so I will get some details on the exact release date of those perfectos.

I am looking forward to trying the CAO Vision and would like more info on the Britalia line. Are they gonna be in the same price range as the Brazilia and Italia?

I will try to get to all the questions here.

ESG- First allocation is in 2 weeks and will consist of 200 boxes nationwide. Bottom line is that none of these boxes will surface. However, it is scheduled to be a regular item so we should see larger allocations going into the rest of the year.

Britalia- I think I messed up on this. It is a box of 5 cigars, all funky shapes etc. There are 2 Brazilias, 2 Italias, and 1 Britalia. The box i believe is 100.00 for the 5 cigars. I was able to scan this pic.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 551
Lots of good news it seems, :D

My local store's owner was at the show and I chatted with him briefly yesterday, he said the magic words: "I've got a couple of samples for you". :thumbsup: I know that one is the Vision, just in the dark about anything else he may have, I know that he is not going to carry the 160 or the Cohiba Black but thats ok, those RP cigars sound fantastic as do the Partagas Cifuentes.

Now the wait...He UPS'ed all his sample stuff back to Michigan so it won't be until Thursday that I get my hands on the new goodies.

Did I mention I'm not the most patient of people? :lol:

Thanks for the information Alex, much appreciated.

whoa, I like the Brazilias and Italias but I favor the Italias more..

I would be interesed in a single of the bratalia because the crazy shaped Italias and Brazilias do not interest me.

Currious if there has been any word about a ship date for the Vision. There is a shop a couple of hours from me that says they will be caryying them but no word on when.