Beads question

Joined Apr 2006
153 Posts | 0+
Michigan
Has anyone experienced their beads getting discolored or collecting a dirt-like substance on them after they have been used for awhile? Mine have recently started developing some sort of black crud on them. It does not appear to be furry and it wipes off really easily, so I don't think its mold, though anything is possible.

I have used nothing but distilled water to charge the beads. I also took a small amount out and put them in a dish to dry out and the crud remains, even though they have been out of the humi for a couple of weeks at least and dry as a bone. I havent noticed any ill effects on my cigars or anything on the interior of the humidor, but I'm a little concerned. Any ideas? Thanks.

So do I have to pitch them all and get new ones, wipe off the affected ones, or is it not something to be concerned with?

If mine were contaminated by mold I would toss them and start over. Not saying that is a must but I wouldnt take the chance. New beads would be much cheaper than all new smokes...

I can't say that I've ever seen any "crud" on mine. They are about eight monts old for reference.

I have beads I've used for many years. (4-5)
They have started to yellow a bit from so much exposure to tobacco.
Nothing black -
I'd start over if your unsure - better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the input guys...I'll be placing another bead order tonight. I was going to have to buy some soon for my coolerdor anyway so I guess it won't hurt too bad to buy some more for the desktop. I appreciate the feedback!