Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking..

My god this makes me so mad you have no idea. Really, how far is this going to go in the united states. The land of the "not so free".

“We have a tremendous opportunity here. We need to pass as stringent a law as we can, I would like to make it illegal,” said Councilman Dave Warden. “What if every city did this, image how many lives would be saved? If we can do one little thing here at this level it will matter.”

I say we go after drinkers -
Can you imagine if just beer was illegal - how many lives would be saved.

Or no Cars - Imagine how many lives could be saved!

Perhaps we should ban breathing as well. Think of all the carbon dioxide we're expelling into the environment.

Be thankful you don't have to live here. Now I don't want Brenda to get mad at me but I'll tell ya, it's like Berlin in 1943 around this "Bay Area". All the goody goody do-rights fighting for THEIR rights and stomping on all others. Belmont is a one horse hitch town anyway. Nothing but hide-away NIMBY rich jerks. But I'm sure there are wonderful people there as well. Sorry for the vent but this really chaps my hide........... :x

Are these bans actually being enforced? I mean, if you're walking down the street smoking, and you for instance pass closer than 15 feet from the door, what happens?

The only thing thats going to stop these rediculous infringements upon our freedom is going to be a do good smoke nazi going too far with the wrong person/people. I would imagine that these bans are in some way, shape, or form unconstitutional, and if taken to a high enough level of court, could be overturned.

I work at Ohio State University Medical Center, if you get caught smoking three times, you're fired...plain and simple. Now I can understand banning smoking at a hospital, I have no problem with that, but this punishment is way too extreme.

I got yelled at by a passer-by for smoking. The dude told me about the 20-feet law. I pointed at the "No Smoking Within 20 Feet" sign, and then told him I am more than 20 feet away (was about 40-50 feet away from the sign and any doorways). He looked at the sign, looked at me, nodded in disbelief, and walked away. BTW, I was in El Segundo, CA.

Good ole California...not even in their cars!!

I know a chef of mine in San Mateo who is very pleased by this, but I can just imagine how it will effect the restaurant industry.
I've yet to meet a dishwasher who doesn't smoke, and most of my coworkers cherish their cigarette breaks.
Things are intense as it is in the kitchen, but just imagine how much more so without their smoke breaks :shock:

Smoking Bans

I honestly don't mind people that don't like smoking, people are entitled to their own opinion. Having said that, how can you prevent me from smoking outside? I just don't understand the logic here. I can understand stadiums where you are 2.98 inches from the person next to you, but walking down the street minding my own business, or even sitting in a park or something. The worst is when I get kicked out of the smoking section (not that it happens any more because all establishments are smoke free now). I'm sorry for smoking in the smoking section. How can you, smoking that cigarette, with all those wonderful chemical odors, complain about my, pure tobacco burning in your presence. If nothing else, it makes the area more tolerable. Idiots.

axegod75 said:
Good ole California...not even in their cars!!

I know a chef of mine in San Mateo who is very pleased by this, but I can just imagine how it will effect the restaurant industry.
I've yet to meet a dishwasher who doesn't smoke, and most of my coworkers cherish their cigarette breaks.
Things are intense as it is in the kitchen, but just imagine how much more so without their smoke breaks :shock:

Remind me to not visit any resturants in Belmont CA. The resturant industry lives on caffine and nicotine. Next thing they will be drug testing all of the resturant employees and not allow them to drink after work. That would be a good idea. :p

iminaquagmire said:
Are these bans actually being enforced? I mean, if you're walking down the street smoking, and you for instance pass closer than 15 feet from the door, what happens?

In Windsor, Canada...One must be (5) feet away from a doorway. No smoking in any building there. A friend, who lives there, tells me, If (2) umbrellas, on an outside patio are touching, that is considered a roof, "No Smoking"??? :shocked: (Not subject related)...But... My last trip to a Windsor Bar, a bottle of Miller Lite Beer was as high as $5.50 -$6.00 (Canadian). One must go to a State Regulated Store to purchase a six-pack of beer. Also according to my friend... combined payable taxes, (income-purchasing, etc) of all types total about 48%. :shock:

I'm going to institute an anti-ban at my house. If you are visiting and come with 5 feet of my door, you must light up a premium, handmade cigar. Enjoyment will be enforced.

So where the hell is Belmont? I probably wouldn't want to smoke there anyway. What gets me is Colorado and there ban on smoking in their parks.