Best Kind of Coffee To Go With Cigars

Joined Jan 2005
365 Posts | 0+
Oak Ridge, TN
Hey all, just wondering what people's opinions are on the best kind of coffee to have with a nice cigar. Thanks!

The Colonel said:
Jack Daniel's brand coffee is fantastic with cigars.

Would that be found in the same section as Jaegermeister Premium French Roast?

Hmm, I havent smoked a cigar with a cup of coffee lately... but I like a cappucino with anything, and at home (where I dont have an espresso machine) I drink Starbucks French Roast - mmmmm goood. You would need a serious cigar to compete with that though. I didnt know Jack Daniels made coffee! Although since they have branched out to BBQ sauce, I gues coffee was inevetable. Next we will have JD mustard (wait, I think I already saw some of that!), JD hot dogs, JD bacon, JD bread, JD potato chips, etc. I suppose.

Impossible to answer -
I say that as each cigar is different and every coffee is different.
There are coffees taht pair better with certain cigars & on!
Not sure what kind of cigars you like or what coffee you like?

Maybe asking what coffee (IYO) (in your opinion) goes well with this cigar?

Might be easier to answer!

I just bought a bag of Kona coffee beans from my local cigar shop. Never tried freshly ground coffee before. It was great. Drank it with a Sancho Panza maduro. It brought out some really good flavors in the cigar.

Like Deacon, I was a Folgers custy with some supermarket beans from time to time until I stumbled into the Coffee Forum here at AB and met Blooth and CastleCrest. If, you enjoy the taste difference of finer cigars you will love the "perfect, best cup of coffee" you have ever tasted by buying Fresh Roasted coffee. If, you are in a big metro area you can find local fresh roasters and simply find the one that you like so the beans are no more than 3 days old. If, you are out in the sticks, or like to control the process you can buy a small home roaster (takes less than 7 minutes,no hassle) and have fresh everyday. There is more than you want to know on the subject on Blooth's fine Forum.

I drink any kind of coffee all day long. Machine, coffee pot, gas station.
The beauty of that is when you do run into a good cup, it really makes you appreciate it.
Never liked the flavored coffee, good strong dark roast but not bitter.
I can't drink Starbuck's. That is the most bitter coffee I've ever tasted and I've been known to drink cooked down coffee that's 4 hours old.
Mostly black, with cream on occasion.
Most of my cigar smoking is in the evenings which usually means alchohol, so I'm gonna have to put forth an effort on this.

Yea my local cigar shop roasts their own beans. They put the date of roasting on the bags.

RazorKing, the vendor you mentioned is also known as "charbucks" by many who find it to taste that way. I live in the sticks and thought I would be able to buy fresh from them, but, they bring the beans in already roasted and they rost them past the point that I roast mine. I prefer them roasted a dark brown just this side of black.

Charbucks - Coffee the joke of the home roaster.

Home Roasters learn a little about coffee in their travels.
There are 2 kinds of beans: Robusto & Arabica (sp?)
The Robusto beans while having less flavor are higher in caffeine.
The Robusto plants also grown many more beans on each plant.
They cost less and taste worse.
That said - I'd bet a diamond against a donut that Starbucks
burns all their coffee to hid the tatse of the Robusto bean.
It is why their coffee is so high in caffeine.
People that drink it like the BUZZ - and then it is hard to get that same jolt from other coffees.
Personally I find all ther coffee way over roasted.
Kind of like cigars - as time when on I went from really liking strong cigars to finding some the complexity of some softer smokes more to my liking.

Kaz,
I used to make it a point to try their coffee thinking that my experiences were isolated, but it's always the same. Bitter!
I don't mind Bitter in a good Imperial Stout, but I don't go after it in my coffee.
I see CC posted with some insight. Once again, more food for thought!
Thanks Guys!