Best Lighter Ever

Joined Dec 2004
1K Posts | 0+
Chicago
I know, I know, this is going to sound like a shameless plug coming from me, but if you are anything like myself, you have had your fair share of lighter issues. By design, lighters are difficult things to own. You cant travel with them, if you dont keep using them the o rings crack and they have to be repaired or replaced, etc etc etc.

Well folks, I have found the most brilliant lighter concept and it comes from our friends at Promotheus. It is called the travelor lighter and is a single flame torch lighter. Yes it is attractive looking and very functional, but the best part of this lighter is how it is built.

The lighter comes in three main parts and can be disassembled.

Part 1: Ignition, button and upper housing
Part 2: Gas Tank
Part 3: Lower Housing

The gas tank is removable and refillable, and you can buy extra tanks. This is why it rocks:

1. You can take the tank out and carry it on an airplane in your carry on bag. It is approved by the DOT as long as the tank is taken out. This is great because I have on several occassions forgotten my lighter was in my pocket and been forced to throw it out. This way all you have to do is pitch the tank or simply put it in a tranzpak case in your checked bag.

2. 3 of the tanks can fit in one Colibri Tranzpak case that is DOT approved to put in your checked luggage. I hate putting one lighter in a tranzpak and when I arrive at my destination I only get what fluid is in the lighter. This usually forces me to go out to a tobacconist and buy a can of butane in the city I am traveling to. 3 tanks means 3 fills which would last me for pretty much any trip.

3. The removable gas tank is a nice touch as sometimes I go on weekend trips or smoke a ton of cigars when I am out. The extra tank is small so I can bring it out as a spare fill. Beats lugging around a can of butane.

4. The tanks themselves are refillable so they can be reused over and over again.

5. 95% of the time when your lighter breaks, it has to do with parts related to the gas tank. Now a problem that would otherwise put your lighter out of commission requiring you to send it in for repair or replacement (total pain in the ass), you can just buy another tank and pop it in and problem solved. It is like getting a whole new ligher for the cost of a $10 tank.

The lighter is reasonable. $85.00 and the extra tanks are $10.00. If you need a tranzpak case they are about $10.00 also. They are for sale in our lighters section at Cigar.com, but pictures are not up yet. I bought one myself as soon as they came in and have been using the hell out of it.