Blind review.

Joined Feb 2006
2K Posts | 3+
Kelvin's House
I will send three people three samples. Lets say enough for three bowls.

all you got to do is smoke it and post a review. and when all reviews are in we will find out what it is.

I am not sure what we will gain form this, just sounds fun.

So who is it going to be?

Barco,

If it is pipe tobacco, count me in.

I have some tobacco that I would be willing to throw into the pot. If anyone is interested.

Sounds like enough fun to justify itself, if it needs justification.

DaninDayton
ilurkalot

Oh pipe tabcco, I was going in at first because I thought you were talking about cereal!

DaininDayton You are in, just pm me your addy. I will suply the tobacco.

Tom, all you got to do it pick up a corn cob for 1.50 and the B&M and you are in. let me know.

Ok well fine. here are the three. I don't care what you all say

DaninDayton
SpecialEd
NjSmokey.

Samples will be going out this week

This should be cool. Way to go Chris. :thumbsup:

Blind taste test

Got my tobacco 12/03/08. They were labeled #1, #2, #3, go figure.

To the nose, in the baggie, it smelled like an oriental tobacco, some latakia and perique.
Top of the bowl, the tobacco was very mild and I didn't get the perique flavors that I was expecting.
Actually, I didn't get much flavor at all.
The pipe stayed lit with moderate tamping thru the bowl. Burn time, about 45 minutes in my old small apple meerschaum.

Was smoked in a SMS bent stem meerschaum.
The tobacco was a semi-dry flake that looked alot like navy flake.
After rubbing it out, the toabacco smelled english with virginia and burly tobaccos.
Top of the bowl, pretty bland. Bottom of bowl, smoked cool all the way down with no relight with moderate tamping.
Burn time, about an hour.
A good all day smoke but, why? There was nothing in the tobacco that kept my attention,

Was smoked in a Barling african meerschaum.
The tobacco was pretty moist with a fruity aroma.
Top of the bowl, I got some earth tones in the smoke and an aftertaste in the draw that I didn't like.
Definately not my style. I almost did not finish the bowl. It needed two relights. Burn time was about 50 minutes.

In conclusion. This was an interesting test of three tobaccos I would not have bought on my own.

I have taken the liberty of giving the leftover tobacco to a good freind, who is an experienced pipe smoker. When he sends me his report, I will post it here.

DaninDayton
ilurkalot

Well I don't get to smoke so often. I did get my package but it will take me about two weeks to try everything. But I will post as I go. Thanks again Chris.

NJsmokey said:
Well I don't get to smoke so often. I did get my package but it will take me about two weeks to try everything. But I will post as I go. Thanks again Chris.

No problem, Don't sweat the details to much, just enjoy and have fun.

"I have taken the liberty of giving the leftover tobacco to a good freind, who is an experienced pipe smoker. When he sends me his report, I will post it here."

This is his report:

Smoked in an unsmoked meerschaum churchwarden.
An english with latakia, perique and burley.
Medium flavor.
A lot like I smoke.

Smoked in a Aldo Velani.
Smelled like burley, latakia and yellow virginia
Smelled fresh, kept in a humidor?
Lighted easily
Spicey taste with a good volume of smoke
Burned easily with a lemon taste at end.
No doddle, all ash.

Aromatic and moist
plum aroma
Danish?
mild
burnt my tongue
not my style at all.

Elmer

A quick question for you. The stuff that came in strips (like sod), how do you treat that? Shred it with your fingers? Cut it with a knife?

I had the same feelings about #1. It had a little edge to it but not a bite. I rather enjoyed it.

Ed

just rub it between your palms to break it up. called rubbing it out....LOL

or tear it with your fingers, what ever works for you!

and I can tell you, I smoke more of Number 1 than I do anything else!

I am going to post on the first blend, I am sure TOm will get to it, but the more I thought about it it might be usefull for him as a new smoker to see the blend information.

Belnd 1 is Spilman Mixture by E. Hoffamn Company

Spilman Mixture is a classically complex English blend of Virginia, Latakia, Turkish and cubed Burley that hasn't been available for 70 years!

The reinvention of this classic tobacco took years of research and development. Presented in a detailed recreation of the original can, right down to the replica tax stamp, Spilman Mixture features the coarse cut favored by pipe smokers in the last century, and an honest, straight forward tobacco flavor. As the can says, "Discriminating Smokers smoke and recommend Spilman Mixture on account of its purity. Spilman Mixture is of incomparable Quality. The combination contains the choicest tobaccos. Its rich aroma is guaranteed to be Nature's own." Spilman Mixture is irresistible for anyone interested in trying what their great-great grandfather smoked.

I am going to read what Chris wrote after I write this. I had two bowls last night, one of the stuff I bought to practice (still can't keep it lit well) and one of #1 from Chris.

The only think I could think off sniffing the bag was a camp fire, why I don't know but I did. I have to agree with Dan in that it was very mild, I pick up an ever so slight sweetnees. I am not sure why but Carmel is the only thing I can think of. I must say I am still thinking I would enjoy a cigar more but I found this better then the stuff I bought. I have enough for at least one more bowl, maybe tonight or tomorrow. I say this is a good blend for a newby like me.

With that I just read the review, it reminded me that I got the impression of tea leaves a couple of times. Thanks again Chris, I think if I get the packing and burn down I could realy enjoy that mix on a nice afternoon.

NJsmokey said:
I am going to read what Chris wrote after I write this. I had two bowls last night, one of the stuff I bought to practice (still can't keep it lit well) and one of #1 from Chris.

The only think I could think off sniffing the bag was a camp fire, why I don't know but I did. I have to agree with Dan in that it was very mild, I pick up an ever so slight sweetnees. I am not sure why but Carmel is the only thing I can think of. I must say I am still thinking I would enjoy a cigar more but I found this better then the stuff I bought. I have enough for at least one more bowl, maybe tonight or tomorrow. I say this is a good blend for a newby like me.

With that I just read the review, it reminded me that I got the impression of tea leaves a couple of times. Thanks again Chris, I think if I get the packing and burn down I could realy enjoy that mix on a nice afternoon.

campfire.....gota love latakia. Tom I thought the same thing about pipes. it is more techniqe than anything

Barcochris said:
Tom I thought the same thing about pipes. it is more techniqe than anything

The more I practice my craft, the more I realize that no tobacco, if not loaded and lit properly will taste good, and conversely, a good packing and proper lighting can do wonders for even the most pedestrian brand.

I smoked Numbers 2 and 3 over the holidays so here goes.

First off all the samples tended to be more moist than what I usually get. That's both the good news and the bad news.

Number 2 was a new experience, what with the "rubbing" but it turned out well. I smoked it in a plain Jane Bjarne briar. I like to get a lot of smoke when I puff so that was good. Spicy as Dan said but also smooth I guess because of the burley and Virginia. I need to try some more of this to see if I would still like it after several smokes.

Number 3 smelled great to me right out of the bag. I really liked the aroma but as we know that rarely translates to a great smoke. I liked the flavor but don't think I could smoke a lot of this. I think it would get "cloying" after awhile. I will make an attempt to try some more when Chris spills the beans, so to speak. Smoked in a Peterson Aran pipe.

Thanks Chris!

P.S. I got my own tin of the Spilman mixture and that is my current preferred morning/afternoon smoke.

Ok well here is Number 2

Peter Stokkebye LUXURY NAVY FLAKE (Luxury Blend) Tobacco selection: Very mature old belt flue-cured Virginia’s spiced with Louisiana Perique. Tobacco cut: Traditional flake slice cut. Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: Non-aromatic, with a range from mild to medium strength.

This is my got to VA/PER. I find light and crisp and the tin smell is to die for.

Ed. on the Spill man mixture, it is mo go to tobacco bar none. it has yet to dissapoint. Does not matter what I smoke it in, what time of day it is always a great flavor.

On blend three, I Blame RMRdaddy. He got me to open a tin form 07 while on skype one night and I loved it. After reading about it I found that is a love hate thing. Half the people love it and half hate it. I have smoked through a tin and a half and i personally enjoy it, but I can see what the nah Sayers are talking about. I think the stewed fruit comment in the below review is a good description.

G.L. Pease Tin - Haddo's Delight

P & T Magazine tobacco review.

"This blend, a savory compote of Virginias with a goodly hit of Perique, has already achieved cult status, and I understand that there are haiku composed to it in laud and honor. I may not go the haiku route (I would have to smoke it in a Tsuge), but this is absolutely magnificent. Layers and layers of complexity, swirling, changing down the bowl like wraiths appearing in smoke, are the product of the intricate lace of Virginia varieties. There is more than a little Perique, and this can genuinely be classed as a Perique blend, adding that wonderful stewed fruit element in the room aroma, and that unsounded depth in the taste. Some straight and nearly ascetic black Cavendish is added as a mere wafting, an enigmatic and sweet-tempered ghostly presence, making it even more amiable a companion to your briar. Finally, there is just a touch of air cured leaf, bring a nutty body, an occasional cigar-like essence sure to please. There are elements of chocolate, and it is a broad blend in presence. The room aroma is absolutely wonderful, even to the usually unappreciative. It is said to undergo an exclusive process. I would call it magic. Highly recommended