Blind Reviews

Joined Feb 2006
2K Posts | 3+
Kelvin's House
There is a little blind review going on that was set up. The requirements were simple send five top end sticks with bands removed. I think there are seven of us involved. so gents please feel free to post your review in this thread. If after a review is posted if you would care to shed light on that cigar fine,.. if we wait till the end fine as well.

I smoked cigar 4 from Matt today as part of the blind fiver. all I can say is I am sure glad I ate.

pre light,

This cigar was beautiful, a few small veins but quite toothy, a light Colorado brown color. After punching with the trusty Punch on my lighter the pre light draw was perfect for me, firm but not tight.

1 Third

Wow quite the barnyard aroma upon lighting this guy. A ton of spice. Almost over powering. I new this cigar was one not to take lightly. I almost had trouble nosing the smoke.

2 Third

still a hint of a delicate spice but a very "meaty" feel in the mouth. Settled down in to a almost vegetal flavor, with lots of big earth flavors. still quite strong.

last third.

Settled way down, got a Carmel flavor. and there was a subtle flavor underneath that I could not identify but very nice. right at the nub there was a spice that came back and my stomach was a bit Topsy turvy. Not bad at all but glad I ate.

Overall impression.
a definite power house. Not like I have had before. I paired this with a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout but wish it would of been scotch. Not a every day cigar but one I defiantly want in my humidor.

4 smoke rings.

Im glad you enjoyed it Chris, these are one of my favorites i have right now and i think they will be stellar with just a couple more years on 'em...i've got a cab resting right now, im just trying to keep my mits off 'em

the cigar was a Hoyo du Prince from '03

WOW,,,

Not a flavor profile i would of expected from a Hoyo. I was guessing for sure it was a Party or Cohiba.

Fantastic...

Thanks Matt

Blind Cigar #5 from Dave (Phisherman)

It’s a beautiful, clear night in Gahanna, and the crickets are happily chirping away. I decided it was time for a blind review. The first cigar that caught my eye in the humidor was this one.

Pre light
I used a Xikar on this cigar that yielded an excellent cut. The pre-light aroma and taste are of sweet wood with a slight barnyard twang. The cigar itself has good construction with a rich, brown wrapper with dark oils. I would guess it is a robusto from the length and gauge.

1 Third
The cigar lights easily with my torch and immediately the wood flavors become more prominent. It is already presenting itself as a medium- to full-bodied cigar with a slightly rustic aftertaste. There is also a bit of a mesquite flavor to this cigar as well.

2 Third
The burn is even, and the cigar is tasting very smooth. No sooner did I write these words, and I had to do a slight touch-up with my lighter. Flavors are staying consistent.

Last third
I’m picking up a little bit of a fruity flavor at this point. The other flavors are still present and enjoyable. I’m not getting any harshness at all.

Overall impression:
With the exception of a few burn issues, I’ve really enjoyed this cigar. It has a good balance to it and wonderful flavors. If I had to guess what this is, I would say a Juan Lopez Seleccion #2. It tastes like it’s still a little young (1-2 years). I think it would get even better with some more time.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar)

Now If I can only remeber which one that was I will tell you. I have to get my cheat sheet of what is what out. I will post this along with my review of cigar number 1 from Rainbowbright tonight when I get home.

phisherman said:
I will post this along with my review of cigar number 1 from Rainbowbright tonight when I get home.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dave, made my day

Blind Taste review of Cigar #1 from Chris G.

I am smoking this corona sized cigar at the local Tobacco shop that has recently expanded and luckily have a room to myself and a cup of house blend coffee to go with it.

The pre-light draw is perfect - not too loose and a tiny bit of a tug on it. No distinct flavor to it without a flame.

The first third is a mild to medium taste which quickly picks up strength after the first few puffs. It has a very herbal and grassy taste to it. After about a half inch it settles back down. The burn is perfectly even and there are TONS of billowing smoke.

The second third smooths out a lot but still has the same herbal/grassy notes to it. At this point I am thinking I should have gone with an ice cold water because the coffee doesn't seem to mix as well. I slow down on sipping my cup of joe. The burn remains perfect and smoke remains plentiful. The ash just hangs on to the cigar. Towards the end of this third the flavor switches to a more earthy flavor.

The last third is a real smooth earthy experience. It really doesn't get smoother than this. The burn is still perfect, the draw is still fantastic - I smoked this baby to the nub.

I won't do smoke rings, just doesn't work for me. I am going to use a 1 to 10 scale.

I would give this cigar an 8 - I will definitely put this in my humidor.

Cigar 2 from Chris G.

This is a petit robusto size cigar - with a medium to light wrapper. I used a Xikar punch to cut this baby. The pre-light draw is excellent and a nice tobacco taste to it.

The first third starts out mild - I am sipping some morning blend on the top deck looking out into the woods. It has a very nice earthy flavor, with notes of coffee in it. The burn is a little even my I use my zippo with insert to even it out and it is fine. Tons of smoke.

The second third is still earthy with some nutty hints to it. It seems to have picked up a bit of strength. The burn is perfect - great amounts of smoke. The coffee pairing is perfect. This is a very smooth cigar - no harshness whatsoever - I am thinking that this has been sitting for a bit in your humidor.

The last third is a continuation of the 2nd third - earthy with a nutty flavor. The coffee notes are still there. The burn is still very good (not as good as cigar number 1) but nothing to complain about at all. Towards the end the tobacco flavor is really picking up - this is definitely one to nub.

Another one for the humidor - great morning cigar with a consistent earthy flavor. I really enjoyed this cigar - I am going to give it an 8.

Cigar no1 from Barco

5.5 inches long and about a 52 ring
cedar to milk chocolate in color; no blemishes
Slight vien, not too noticable
Not firm but not spongy; just right but a little heavy for its size
Excellent triple cap
The prelight draw is earthy and slightly musty and easy on the pull

1st third; light to medium body with a good amount of smoke coming out of it. Starts with a little twang and some funk, to nutty and a long finish. I have said this about wine before and got laughed at when I used this term but I will use it again. This is a chewy cigar. The finish is so long and complex you find yourself chewing to get more of a handle for what the flavor is.
2nd third
There is a slight sweetness comign along. Just a hint though. The ash is mottled greay and white. The flavor is starting to lighten up a bit and get a kind of creamy finish. Still a nutty flavor, kinda like frangelico liqur, but without the alcohol part. I am also picking up some light citrus notes.
last third is getting even more subtle. A little peppery but not bitter. Thsi cigar has bee smooth throughout.

This was a real enjoybale cigar that had a real good burn (only one touch up and a great draw) and complex and changing flavor. The only thing that I would change about it would to turn up the volume on the flavor. I am more of an in your face kinda smoker.
4 (almost 5) out of 6 smoke rings. I can't wait to try the next.

Blind Cigar #2 from Dave (Phisherman)

It’s the early afternoon, and I just finished up some great Chinese food from Mr. Wok’s down the street. My son is taking a nap, and I felt inclined to sit out on the porch and have a cigar. This long, thin cigar (possibly a Lonsdale) caught my eye, and I decided it was time to torch it.

Pre light
The cut with my Xikar was very easy. This is one of best cuts I’ve ever made on a cap. The pre-light aroma and taste are of earth and leather with a slight sweetness. The cigar is wrapped well, and it has a medium brown color.

1 Third
After lighting the cigar, I get flavors of dark chocolate that is semi-sweet. The draw is a bit firm, but certainly not badat all. The cigar is burning well and the aroma of the smoke is floral in nature.

2 Third
The burn became crooked but was corrected easily with a slight touch-up. The chocolate flavors have disappeared, and I’m now getting pleasant fruity and floral flavors. A relight was required.

Last third
A slight nutty flavor is now present that mixes well with the fruit and floral tones. The ash is holding well.

Overall impression:
This is a medium-bodied cigar with lots of flavor and complexity. I had only one major burn issue that was corrected with ease. Two re-lights were required, but they did not hinder my enjoyment of this cigar.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar)

Cigar #1 from Kelvin

Sat out on the front porch, beeeeautiful and sunny, around 70 degrees, breezy.

Petite Corona
Medium brown wrapper, vey mottled, and with a number of small veins. The wrapper had a twangy aroma to it when I smelled it.

Cut with the Xikar cleanly, it had a perfect draw. The prelight draw was nice, tea and cedar.

1st third
Lit up and instantly got cedar and spice.

2nd third
Flavor continued and I got a floral hint on the finish. It picked up some strength as well.

Final third
Flavor transformed to a woody core, with a dark mineral element. I was feeling some power from this smoke. It got a little bitter as I nubbed it.

Overall
A nice PC, though the strength surprised me. I have a little buzz going from the smoke. I had 2 fried eggs and toast for breakfast, and had 2 cups of coffee during the smoke, so I don't figure that lack of food in my system was a factor. This would be a good after dinner smoke, especially if you were at a sit-down. Start off a night of smoking with this baby!

My guess on this one: Boli PC

That was a PLPC '05 that you smoked.

For informational purposes, what I did was send 5 different PC's to Rob to see the different reviews for each.

I will be interested to see your other reviews.

Rob,

I was equally as surprised when I smoked the Dip 4 - I had just had one a few days before and did not get the same herbal/grassy notes in the first third. I am guessing the difference was I had an '06 and the one Chris sent me was an '04.

It was cool to be surprised like that. I will be curious to see what you think of the rest - particularly #2 and #3.

Bobberrific said:
On a side note, I completely forgot who I sent mine to. I have the cigar decoder text file on my computer. Let me know and I can send it.

I am pretty sure that Rob had you.

phisherman said:
Chris,
Cigar no 5 was an '06 RASS
Cigar no2 was an'00 VR Classico

Wow! I was fooled on that RASS for sure. The VR Clasico was nice as well. I almost gave it a 5 sans the burn issues. Thanks, Dave.

A Bob sent me my fiver, but i cant remember which one, if it was Bob, Bob, or Rob, lol? :dunno: :duh: anyway, hoping to finally enjoy one of 'em tonight...