Bourbon instead of SINGLE MALT SCOTCH

Joined Feb 2004
3K Posts | 42+
159 Knobvue Drive Freedom Pa 15042
well friday night I had a weeee dram of Makers mark, some Gentilman jack & a sip or 2 of Rebel yell ........ it was the first bourbons & NON scotch I have had in a LONG time , all were smooth & went well with the cigars, BUT I miss the smoke & peat of the scotch..... I guess I never will be a bourbon lover, Nothing against it , just not my cup of tea ..... give me a snifter of scotch... or Irish whisky .. a drop or 2 of brandy , Gin, Tiquella, Vodka , but bourbon & blended amaeican & canadian whiskeys just dont put any wind in my sail.... Even the one that comes in the purple bag, crown or some thing like that ,,, canadian ,,,, just leaves me wanting a sip of scotch.... so tonight I have a snifter of Laphroaig watching it snow here in Pittsburgh ..... a mug of Brazillian Santos & an avo #2....... SNOW AGAIN ,,,, some one should shoot that dammm groundhog.... back in Feb. he told us it would be an early spring..... well its snowed 3 times here this Month ........ Enjoy, Vince

vince,

my best buddy, C. Ed Harris (YEP, the gun-writer) & i have gotten hooked upon a "new to us" spirit that you SHOULD try.

it's called MOSBY'S SPIRIT & is made in VERY small batches in Purcellville, VA. - GREAT for "special occasions"!

decidely NOT cheap but definitely, "MMMMM GOOD"!

yours, sw

what is the grain used in this new stuff, I have a feeling that corn & rye are not in my taste profile, BUT I do love my Barley, smoked & distilled in Scotland , aged about 16 Years or so .... Enjoy, Vince

vince,

frankly, i'm NOT sure WHAT the grains used in MOSBY'S SPIRIT are BUT i'm an "longtime single malt kind of guy" & both Ed & i were VERY FAVORABLY IMPRESSED by this "new to us" sipping whiskey.
(fyi, i don't flinch at 500.oo a liter for single malt, IF it's truly good stuff.)

yours, sw

vince,

make that 50.ooUSD a L rather than 500.oo!
(just noticed that i hit 1 too many zeros.)

yours, sw

Haaaaaaa!!! I'm glad you clarified that. While I know there are many successful people on this board, most retired military, LEO types, no matter what their successes have been, . . .

can't casually say they'd pay $500 a liter for fine single malt scotch. Oh yeah, if the wiper blades on the BMW go out, I just buy a new one. No, not a new set of wiper blades, a new BMW, ha, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Nothing against folks with money, but that one did make my eyes glaze over. I was thinking of hitting you up for a loan stand_watie, no, not really, but that was impressive, I must say. Perhaps you should just have left it as it was, VERY impressive, hee, hee, heee!!!

Bloofington; all,

CHUCKLE!

TRUE STORY TIME:

when my dad was in college (at LSU - NE center at Monroe, LA) in the mid 1930s, a OIL-RICH Osage Indian from Kansas City,MO picked him up on the road (he was hitch-hiking home to Grove, OK.) in a new Caddy convertible sedan.

after a couple of hours, the man asked my dad to drive & got in the back to "sack out", telling my dad to wake him if he needed anything.

after a few hours, my dad woke the man & told him that the car needed gas & where did he want to stop.

the man said, "i don't buy gas. i buy cars."

my dad said, "you're joking? right?"

"NOPE.", said the man & "it's too much trouble to buy gas, so when i run out, i just get another Caddy delivered."

yours, sw

Heyyyyyy, wait!!! Now you put the hook in for a story, but you don't finish it? It was The Great Depression. The population of the nation was what, 200 million less than it is now? That means out on the road, there wasn't much in between such storied places as Here, There, Kinda Here, You Ain't Nowhere and Nowhere. So, yaw fodda's in like da Midwest durin' Da Great Depression, out on the road with an AMERICAN INDIAN who claims he just buys a new Cadillac when it runs out of gas. Which makes no sense, because how far could one go on a tank of gas? But it was The Great Depression, . . .

and yaw fodda wuz out onna road wit' dis guy in between There and Nowhere, 'bout fitty miles south o' Here, headin' toward Kinda There, so WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?!??? The guy couldn't obviously buy one right then and there!!!

HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Bloofington,

ya'll really oughta look at a MAP. = Monroe, LA is not all that far from Grove, OK.

furthermore, remember that my dad was himself a FULLBLOOD & we AIs tend to operate on "AI time", i.e., sometime between now & next week.
(AI's INVENTED "manana, manana".)
thus the Osage was in NO hurry to get to KC & could well afford to wait for the local Caddy dealer to deliver him a new one.

personally, i knew a Cherokee in my youth named Charlie R__________ from Muskogee, who spent most off his time, in "bib overhauls", ratty/old straw hat & brogan shoes, sitting on the courthouse lawn making large sticks into toothpicks. - he NEVER owned a car/truck, rode an old Schwinn bike everywhere & ate most of his meals at a local/CHEAP diner and/or "pork 'n beans" out of the can". = in short, "he looked like about 10 cents on the hoof"

When he died, he asked that his will be read from the steps of the courthouse by the sheriff. - people wondered to whom Mr Charlie would leave his whittling knife, straw hat & old shoes???

imagine their surprise when he gave over 3,ooo,ooo USD to the state university system for football scholarships!
(to this day, nobody knows where the H that he got all that $$$$$.)

fwiw, AIs (especially RICH ones) are "eccentric". = as i AM one, i KNOW!

yours, sw

Ohhhhhhhh, well, that explains a few things. Well, being half Puerto Rican, and with the mess/soap opera/blessing my father left me last year, I know all too well about "tomorrow." It's infected the Puerto Rican culture to a major national flaw, or badge of pride depending on which way you look at it. What an interesting mix of 21st Century America and Third-Worldism. As for the proximity of Monroe, LA to Grove, OK, I wouldn't know. But c'mon, with the story you just told, you SHOULD have left it at $500 per liter of single malt scotch. Haaaaaaa!!! Now you have a real human interest story with a good mix of family and cultural history going here. You should bring that stuff to Vince's Sunday Morning smoke. Also, keep us updated on your spirits sipping. You have some interesting stuff going on there, too.

dammmm I thought you had BIG bucks when you said 500 for a jug of booze, I stop in the 80 buck range (for special occasions)most of the time I am in the 40 to 50 buck range , I did find a nice single malt ... Spayburn... for 25 bucks but the state run liquor shops here in Pa stopped getting it ,,,, dammm fools

vince,

fyi, "Spayburn" IS available in the military class VI stores in PA. - like at Ft Indiantown Gap, for example.

check with your military/NG buddies for HOW to get some at @20.oo a bottle.- i LIKE it, especailly at that low price.

yours, sw

Indian town gap is a bit far to go for a cheep bottle or 2 or 3 or 4 or more, but I think the class 6 store here in the Pittsburgh area( only went there one time , & it was years ago) , it used to be at the ANG station , But I have no idea where it is now.... a buddy is the first officer on the trans atlantic flights for USAIR he gets to stop at the duty free shops all the time, I like the full leters much better than the 750 ML at the state run monepoley here in Pa. right now I am getting ready to enjoy a Caol Ila & a mug of coffee, & I just might find time for a Short story before SNL... Enjoy, Vince