Breath in the nose?

Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts | 0+
Amsterdam, Netherlands
When I smoke, I take a good puff, then use my cheeks to blow the smoke out and at the same time I breath in through my nose very very slightly. When I do this, I get a great taste and sense of the cigars flavors and subtleties. It's actually called "circle breathing" (I am a musician, circle breathing is a certain technique for wind instruments)

Anybody do this, or something like this? I get a fantastic sense of the cigar

You already have one up on a lot of smokers. That is exactly how the palate is developed, when one develops a breathing/tasting technique that suits them personally. Being severely asthmatic, and pretty much a mouth breather all my life, mine's a little different, but you've got the idea. I played trumpet and baritone horn back in junior high and high school, and also fooled around on the french horn and trombone, so I hear where you're coming from. Keep on doing that, because your train's on the right track.

You taste a lot of your cigars through smell. Similar aromas are detected by blowing the smoke out of your nose. The danger on breathing in trhough your nose is that you are actually inhaling. Out reduces that potentially hazardous side effect. All though I catch myself breathing in through my nose often.

Yup. That's the deal. DocBarry used to give very nice, medical and biologically based explanations on the whole olfactory system, and the link between smell and taste. It's why you have people like me describing certain cigars as tasting like "road tar" or "circa 1970 elementary school mop water," for example.

Bloofington said:
Yup. That's the deal. DocBarry used to give very nice, medical and biologically based explanations on the whole olfactory system, and the link between smell and taste. It's why you have people like me describing certain cigars as tasting like "road tar" or "circa 1970 elementary school mop water," for example.

hahaha he said olfactory......