Building a walk-in humidor

Joined Jul 2005
25 Posts | 0+
I'm going to purchase a home very soon and have illusions of converting a walkin closet into a humidor. I know it will be costly but would like to know if any of you have links or some info on the best way to go about doing this type of project. Also where I can buy a big enough humidor.

I don't have any information on how to make a walk in humidor, but the idea is great. Please take pictures and post 'em when it's done.

I will

I will take pictures as soon as I do it. I just need some guidance

Other than weather stripping your door, and placing a humidifier in the room there wouldn't be much to do. Most home centers have the humidifiers with the adjustable humidity settings. Place a hygrometer in there so that you can track your humidity settings. If you can get your hands on some spanish cedar for building your shelving great. Otherwise, any material would work if your leaving your cigars in the boxes. Hardest part I can see is paying for all those cigars you plan on filling the closet with. Also, start a excercise program so that you can get your self in shape. You want to live long enough to smoke all those cigars.

I've done the research too and really as long as its sealed very tight you'll be fine. As far as asthetics go, spanish cedar plywood is gonna run about 250 a sheet plus freight so I would panel. No pine or fir as those are very wet woods. You can use birch or oak but poly, poly, poly, and then poly some more. Home Depot has faux tile panels made of plastic that would be perfect. They say not to use regular drywall but rather what is known as greenboard as a backer for humidity reasons. You'll also not want carpeting but thats probably obvious. If you don't want the hassle of building one, buy one. Or sort of anyway--several manufactuers sell ready made wine vaults... Wine Cave being one. Just replace any racks that cant be used for cigars.

Most importantly, invest in a humidifier especially for walk in humidors and cellars. They will be much more accurate. If it gets hot where you live and for any reason you may not have the AC on all the time, think about an in room air conditioner.

if you don't use greenboard your asking for mold/mildew. Greenboard is the drywall you use in bathrooms. i would also avoid the shag carpet and go with a hard floor :wink:

Are you going to host visitor tours of your Walk-In Humidor when finished? If so, I'd like to get my reservation in now!

Thanks

Thanks for all the great information. I'm gonna look into spahish cedar for the shelves and maybe some oak for the floors. I'm investigating everythig right now. As far a filling my humidor with cigars, I work in a wine cellar with a cigar humidor, so I can buy boxes wholesale and can fill my humidor up with some nice stix for a decent price.

I believe Mohagany (sp?) would be the next chioce after spanish cedar
Just be 100% sure if you use cedar it is spanish cedar the other types out there will ruin the cigars.
BUT - as the others have standed, if you store cigars in their cedar boxes there is little need for cedar walls and shelves.

I'm thinking Rhino Liner like they spray into the back of pick up truck beds. Just seal the shelves walls ceiling and floors in spray on plastic.
after a month of airing it out you'd be good for ever. :shock:

Personally, when I go to build my walkin I'm thinking Mohagany.
CC

its easy bob! just add a box of diplomas to your cart, look at your cart and change the quantity to 99 and submit the order!!

screw the credit card numbers, give me the key to the cigar.com humidor!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but outside of Spanish cedar, which is by far the No. 1 humidor liner, the next choice is not just any mahogany, but Honduran mahogany. I could also be wrong about the lining part, because I seem now to remember that Honduran mahogany can actually be used as the main structural wood, not just lining.

You're absolutely right Bloof. The only problem is price. Both spanish cedar and honduran mohogany are specialty hardwoods near impossible to find. And when you finally track the plywood down, not only do you have to pay for the material but also freight. Most walk in humidors I have seen are lined in polyed luan or man made paneling if anything.