building humidors/ converting furniture

Joined Mar 2005
109 Posts | 0+
zelienople. pa.
have often thought of making part of my dresser into humi. one side is shelves from top to bottom, and has a large mirrored door. area is aprox 18" w 18" d and 48" tall. door is not airtight. my other choice is an antique "music stand" its already used to store boxes, cutters, my antique draw poker, and all other accumulated acc. it is also not airtight. is this feasable/practical or should i just spend the money on one like cigarsmokers?

With time and patience, you can transform almost anything. You gotta be willing to spend $$$ on Spanish cedar, air-tightness, etc. I've been into carpentry so long, Jesus was my star apprentice. PM me for any detailed questions. I'll do what I can.

Always sounded like fun

I've thought about this too. It would be cool to build a custom humidor from scratch. So any general tips you could post here would be great! At least to get the rest of us who have been thinking about it some idea as to what we might be getting ourselves into someday. :)

Originally posted by The Colonel:

"I've been into carpentry so long, Jesus was my star apprentice."

:mrgreen: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm going to ask him when he comes back. :sm_angel:

what is purpose of spanish cedar? and are other materials bad, or just not as good? i MUST get a larger humidor and thought it would be neat to incorporate it into existing bedroom furniture, however, i could simply buy one and put it in my office. need more info to decide

Spanish cedar is best for lining your humidor because it helps maintain proper humidity and is the wood known to be most resistant to the infiltration and procreation of tobacco beetles.

Spanish cedar is best for lining your humidor because
... It smells da best too!

I am just about done building a 12x6x3 in. humidor. It is made out of pine...Yea, I know, tisk tisk. I stained it with a couple coats of "aged oak" and a gloss topcaot to make it air tight...I would of used cedar, but the pine and topcaot were already in my house and not on a shelf with a price tag under it. Any suggestions or comments? positive or negative... anything would help.

Also, I was wondering what is the proper ratio of volume of 50/50 solution and "foam" i need for my humidor. The box is 9x3x3. I obviously want to use as little space as possible, yet let the humidity reg. be effective and do its job. Any body got a size I should be looking for?

HOW MUCH IS THE CEDAR? aprox. cost is o.k. are we talking 2.00 or 50.00? i would need 5 sq. ft. for 3 sides. another 12 sq. ft. for top, bottom, dooor, and shelves. more than 50.00. just post sites to buy humidors,500 ct. or there abouts.

Also, you need to take in account the width of the wood. I'd say 1/2 in or even 1 to 1.5 in some places for the humidor of your size. Here is a random link just to give you a quick idea of the cost. It shows 1/4 inch x 3sq. ft at $21.00. It is about $7.50 a square foot. Look around at your local home depot or hardware store. They can/should also help you with construction plans if you ask. Post a reply if you find out the cost from a Home Depot or hardware store. Thanks, good luck

think i will just buy one. likeall my projects, thecost exceeds its value.