Building my first humidor.

Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts | 0+
Honolulu
Aloha. I am starting a project of turning a old Mahogany bed side table into a cabinet style Humidor. The three small ones arent cutting it any more. lol
I am wondering if there are any finishes or sealers that i should look for or stay away from for sealing the mahogany before lining it with spanish cedar, or should I just leave the inside of the mahogany cabinet naked? I have made and restored furniture for a long time but if any one has any insights related to humidors they would be greatly appreciated.
Look forward to hearig from you guy's.
Aloha
Alan

I made my first one from Maple left the wood as is and used Gorilla glue brushed on to attach the Spanish Cedar, figured the glue would provide all the barrier I needed, worked out well after I had a small (not so small for me - See Major Cigar Problem PLEASE HELP for details) problem, asked for help here and followed suggestions and so far everything is working great, next project just for fun and the hell of it will be a walkin humidor.
Good luck keep us posted

So I searched hi and low today trying to find some spanish cedar. I checked with every lumber supplyer here in Hawaii and nothing. I only found enough to make a couple of trays.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have read before that Spanish cedar is actually in the mahogany family and not cedar? The dresser Im converting is solid mahogany and Im not sure what kind but everything about this mahoganny looks, feel's, smells and behaves just like spanish cedar and I know that the effects of moisture is very much like spanish cedar. The mahogany even smells just like the little bit of spanish cedar I scrounged up. The Top, bottom, back and 2 sides are all 3/4" thick. Here in hawaii our humidity is very close to 70% normally. If anything I have found that I have to regularly take my humidification devices out of my humidors to get the moisture down. Call me crazy but im thinking about foregoing the spanish cedar and just leaving the the mahogany on the inside bare. I will use the little bit i found to make some drawers for inside.
What do you guys think:?:
Mahalo

So I searched hi and low today trying to find some spanish cedar. I checked with every lumber supplyer here in Hawaii and nothing. I only found enough to make a couple of trays.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have read before that Spanish cedar is actually in the mahogany family and not cedar? The dresser Im converting is solid mahogany and Im not sure what kind but everything about this mahoganny looks, feel's, smells and behaves just like spanish cedar and I know that the effects of moisture is very much like spanish cedar. The mahogany even smells just like the little bit of spanish cedar I scrounged up. The Top, bottom, back and 2 sides are all 3/4" thick. Here in hawaii our humidity is very close to 70% normally. If anything I have found that I have to regularly take my humidification devices out of my humidors to get the moisture down. Call me crazy but im thinking about foregoing the spanish cedar and just leaving the the mahogany on the inside bare. I will use the little bit i found to make some drawers for inside.
What do you guys think:?:
Mahalo

You are correct Spanish Cedar is from the Mahogany family, not sure what the difference between verity's is outside of density (hard vs soft ETC.).
As far as getting a hold of Spanish Cedar I had to order mine in a plywood style sheet from the internet, not real cheap but then again not unreasonable ( 60.00$ ), afterwards found I could get it from a higher end cabinet maker not to far from where I live for about half that, just an idea for you