buying a box

Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts | 0+
California
Ok so I am buying my first box of cigars here pretty soon. I want to age them for a couple of years. do I open the cigar box and rotate them every little while? if so how often should I rotate them? Any other tips you could offer me about aging my box of cigars would be awesome. Thanks.

My only adivice is to try not to overhandle the cigars. That seems to be a mistake people make often. I rotate my cigars once a quarter. Also, be sure to take them out of cello and be very selective in which cigars you choose to age. Not all cigars age well and some definately better than others. Be sure to pull one out and smoke it from time to time until they are at your desired age.

Consider a box of Cusano C10. They are only sold in 10ct boxes so they are affordable and they age extremely well. Need about 4-6 years to get perfect IMHO and they wont break the bank. Not to mention they are no longer being made and you wont be able to find them anywhere after this year. It would be a good collectors piece.

another good thing to age is punch rare corojo.

i have a few of these that im holding on to for a few years.

Anything full bodied will mellow with age. I hear the Camacho havana line age well, as do the diplomas.

if you are looking to put some serious money into it a box of Opus X xXx are great to age. I have a few of those myself getting a year or two on em.

oh, and of course anyting ISOM... especially HDMs

I am not sure what all these abbreviations mean. Could you guys tell me what you are saying. Like IMHO or ISOM or HDM.

C10's dont last long in my humi for some reason.

The stuff that I am aging I pretty much leave be. I figure that they will be just fine in the box without me overhandling them. The singles I am aging I try to leave alone as well but it's not as easy. I almost never take anything out of the cello, personal preference I guess.

I have a 500ct humidor that has four trays up top and a ton of storage below for boxes and singles. I try to keep the stuff I am going to smoke up top and the stuff I am aging down below. Figure the less I see the aging goodies the less likely I am to get tempted.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

emeisner said:
I am not sure what all these abbreviations mean. Could you guys tell me what you are saying. Like IMHO or ISOM or HDM.

IMHO= In My Humble(Honest) Opinion

ISOM= Island south Of Miami (Cuba)

HDM= Hoyo De Monterry

i had gone round and round with myself [got very dizzy] over
the use of cello on my cigars.

personally, i dont like them, it is more of a looks thing
though for me, i like to peer into my humi and see
gorgeous, oily, gleeming wrappers staring back at me
instead of a glorified 7-11 burrito!!

but, after chasing my tail on the subject, i found the
real reason to keep them ON and why the companies
chose to do so.

if you go to most open air, or even indoor produce markets,
they keep there fruit and vegies, when applicable, in
styrafoam or paper dividers, like egg cartons. this keeps
the fruits and or veg's from touching each other and speeding
up the bruising and ferementing [rotting] process.

cigars are NO different. they are a leaf, an organic product,
and i believe that when cigar leaves [wrappers] touch each
other for a long period of time, they decompose quicker!

the sugars in the leaf make contact with others and the
bruising starts and the mold begins.

so, this is what i do...............

i by a cigar, or a box and i take them all out and cut both ends
off, just so it still covers the cigar but is open on BOTH ends
and the humid air can get inside your smokes, but it still keeps
the sugar inducing bruises and molds at bay because you still
have cello protection!

the only thing different for me is my dailys, my go to's!

since i know they wont be around for months or years, i
leave the cello OFF! i keep a small humi just for my dailys
and the other 2 150 plus humis i have are for my collectables
and ager's, and i keep the cello on [if they come with one], but
cut on both ends.

best of both worlds!!

but in my dream world where there is NO mold and bad
cigars, no ugly chix, every one is happy and conservative,
muscle cars are the norm and gas is 10c a gallon and all the
terrorists are dead, and the only rappers are the leafy kind
that makes your 'gars so tasty........

but, as i stated, that is a dream world and in reality, we have
bad critters and molds that eat up our presious smokes so
i now put up with the burito wrappers. better to see plastic
than to see, [or smoke] rott!! :x

Box open or closed?

Along these lines, and I'm sure this has been addressed before SOMEwhere, is it necessary to keep an aging box open? I have a box of 5 Vegas A's that went into the coolerdor a week or so ago. I removed the plastic (cello?) wrap from the outside of the box and it is now resting comfortably in there with the lid open. Does it matter if it's open or closed? Also, would it be ok to put the box in there without even removing the outer wrapping?
Thanks!

This is my advice: just leave it alone. If you are buying a pretty well made cigar it will not need to be rotated. The more I ahandle them the more I have a cahance at cracking the wrapper. If I'm aging a box, better to just leave it alone. No need to open it. If it is wrapped in plastic wrap (the box that is) I would take that off for the box to breath.

What to age:
Savineli Liga Especial Torpedo's (one of my all time favorite cigars)

Flor De Oliva Corojo Torpedo (after 3 or 4 years the flavor on these is exquist and they are fairly inexpensive)

Pardron 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, or 6000 Maduro
An already great smoke that will get better with age. Smooth and complex with age. You can't miss with this one.

Thanks phisherman,

Right now I have a box of 5 Vegas A robustos, a box of c.com cameroon robustos, and a box of cusano 18 double conecticut robustos in there. On the way is a box of cusano 18 paired maduros, a box of c.com cuban label topedos and abox of Oliva series 'O' torpedos. The idea was to get some age on these.
I"ve been wanting to try the Padron maduros but haven't yet.

I didn't see the other sticks you mentioned here at c.com.