Buying a Coffe Maker

Joined Feb 2006
2K Posts | 3+
Kelvin's House
I would like to buy a new coffe maker, I would like to have a digital start in the morning. I was looking at a cusinark (?sp) that is a grind a brew, for about 100 bucks, what are some ideas, shoul I be lookng at something else

I have heard mixed results from the grind and brew. My parents had one that would get clogged all of the time and was a PITA when you just wanted to brew the coffee and not grind the beans as well. I have since bought my parents a Delongi and they love it.

I too have heard bad things about some of the ones that grind for you. My friends worked for a while, but then he had to grind it himself anyway. Not sure what model it was though.

Here is the one I use if I need to set it up in advance:
Cuisinart® Brew Central™ 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker

If I'm not setting it in advance, I use a Bodum Freedom Press

I have the Cuisinart auto grind and brew. Although it can be a pain in the butt to clean, it brews the BEST coffee for an auto drip (IMHO) and the carafe keeps the coffee HOT for atleast 7 hours.

But, nothing beats a press pot.

The idea is to get the water as close to 195-200 degrees when it hits the coffee. The best and only one approved by the coffee taster pros (most use the press I'm told)is the Technivorm as sold by sweetmarias.com they are expensive, but, last for many years. They make the coffee so fast you might not miss the fact that they have no clock. Anyway at least try to find one that gets the temps into the range as most don't and get worse with age. regards

Outside of the Freedom Press, Technivorm gets the highest ratings from all the coffee experts I know. Expensive, but from what I understand, you get what you pay for. Really nice to see the activity on this forum, especially the return of KAZ. It's just the thing Coffee & Tea needed to WAKE UP the forum. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

I have the Cuisinart Auto grind and brew. I love it. Like Capt said, it is a little more difficult to clean than your average auto, but it makes great coffee...grinds loud enough for me to use as an alarm clock too :p ... Brewing without grinding is as simple as pushing a button....If you are looking for something less expensive than the before mentioned professional models, I think the Cuisinart is a great choice.
~S

You are to kind Bloof. Believe me when I tell you that we struggled with springing the $$$ for the technovorm, and then we added up the cost of a string of different coffee makers over the years and the fact that families hand the tech down. They are built like a tank, really, a water tank, large heating element (1400 watts), thick cord and an on/off switch. When you flip the switch you can stand there and be drinking coffee in minutes. We do the thing(let the hot water sit on the coffee in the basket for a minute) and then stick the carafe under to let the coffee go down the drop tube and fill the pot from the bottom to mix. Not to crazy if you go so far as home roasting for fresh coffee. regards

Barcochris said:
I would like to buy a new coffe maker, I would like to have a digital start in the morning. I was looking at a cusinark (?sp) that is a grind a brew, for about 100 bucks, what are some ideas, shoul I be lookng at something else

Barcochris.....if your on a budget like me check out the Presto Scandinavian slow drip $35-$45 it has the right temperature that you need to slow drip......the reviews are great on this machine...I did plenty of research befor I bought one...I love it

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip/presto/gzinkl

I have not tasted any plastic what so ever.....but I did buy a gold mesh filter for $15 shipped

cybrus

Thanks for the heads up

I got this unit at costco after breaking a carafe on my phillips, partially based on your post and my sister's recommendation.

Good price
Lots of programable features
Easy to use
Makes a good pot (4 cups) but I am using about 3/4 scoop more to get the same rich flavor .

For those interested, I get my coffee from http://www.gilliescoffee.com/

My everyday coffee is Norwegian Wood. Ask about discounts in 5lb bags.

Sweet! That is a good pot - when I need to make more than 2 cups, the Freedom (tm) Press just doesn't do it - so that is my go-to coffee pot. Hope it works out well for you too!

I make a Quart at a time in my Large Freedom Press pot , nothing better , I have even tryed the cold brew , put the coffee in add the water let it sit over night, press it in the morning, pop the cup in the microwave for 60 seconds , GREAT COFFEE !!
Enjoy, Vince

I have the Cuisinart Auto grind and brew. I love it. Like Capt said, it is a little more difficult to clean than your average auto, but it makes great coffee...grinds loud enough for me to use as an alarm clock too :p ... Brewing without grinding is as simple as pushing a button....If you are looking for something less expensive than the before mentioned professional models, I think the Cuisinart is a great choice.
~S

Have the same one, quick and easy. I have to figure the self clean mode yet. :roll:

Step it up!

I don't claim to know it all, but here is what I understood from my recent research on this very topic. Most coffee makers you can pick up at stores like Target and WalMart heat the water, then filter it through coffee grounds into a glass caraf where it starts burning.

There are two problems with this process, one, the temperature of the water that filters through the coffee will be too cold to start with, and sometimes too hot toward the end. Then the heating pad cooks and burns the coffee at the bottom of the pot.

There are several coffee makers out there that solve these problems, and brew an almost perfect cup of coffee. One of them is the one I bought, the Capresso MT500. The unit heats the water to the optimum temp of 200 degrees and yields a perfect pot of 180 degree coffee. Capresso uses double insulated carafs that keep coffee hot for hours (so they say, I've never waited that long), not a heating pad.

I was skeptical too, because these units are priced a lot higher than the "good ones" at Target, but after brining my Capresso home, I instantly became a believer.

Check out Capresso online at their website, or do a few online searches for more information and research.

Capresso also makes a unit that grinds the beans, then brew a fresh pot.

Time to Step It Up!