Can you find me 3 dead people -

Joined Aug 2004
2K Posts | 1+
- that died from second hand smoke?

Here is a post from another board I thought very informative
towards the fight against the smoking ban.
(permission was given before I copied this)

1. The fight against smoking bans is not as grim as you depict it. Smokers comprise about 20% of the adult population, ie. voting population. 20% is usually enough to swing any election or referendum. Smokers must make sure to vote against any and all smoking bans.
2. Surveys have shown that most non-smokers are ambivalent about smoking bans and can be swayed by solid arguments against smoking bans, especially economic and constitutional-bill-of-rights arguments.
3. Prepare yourself to combat the lies, deceptions, and paranoia spread by anti-smoking crusaders by arming yourself with facts and information about the smoking issue, the true effects (or non-effects) of smoking and secondhand smoke. A good source of information can be found at http://www.forces.org.
4. Confront the lies and insults of anti-smokers at every turn. Write a tight, effective letter to the editor at least 3 times a year. Write, e-mail, and call your city councilman, county commissioner, state legislator every time a smoking ban becomes an issue. Show up at town council meetings--appear before the town council, county commission state legislature with counter arguments against smoking bans both from a health stand point and economic stand point and also a constitutional-bill-of-rights standpoint. Answer rude putdowns of rude, condescending anti-smokers with a good counter putdown--throw the crap back into their faces every chance you get, don't let any putdown go unchallanged. Don't allow yourself to be manipulated by guilt trips laid on you by anti-smoking crusaders. Any time an anti-smoker makes outlandish claims about the tens-of-thousands of deaths caused by secondhand smoke, make them prove it. Embarrass them by asking them to provide the names of just 3 people that have died from secondhand smoke the past year, they can't because there are no deaths medically certified to have been caused by secondhand smoke.
5. Provide financial support to smoker rights organizations such as Forces International and United Pro-Smokers rights.

Anti-smokers, and the organizations that champion their cause, have a visceral hatred for smoking and smokers and will say and do anything to eradicate smoking from the landscape. They are a viscous, conniving, lying, bunch or sanctimonious a**holes and things will change only when smokers decide they have had enough if their shit and do something about it.

Good post.

However, I do not think people should smoke indoors at restraunts that dont have a closed off section for smokers, and that places that are designed for cigar smoking(cigar bars/stores, etc...) should not have to follow the bans. I for one HATE cigarette smoke, yet cigar smoke doesnt bother me at all(even before I started with cigars). I do find it a lil distracting while at the Waffle House in my city(luckily no SB yet in my town, yet the big one, Lexington, does have one) that my eyes start to water up and burn from the cigarette smoke, yet I am not permitted to light up a small cigar to finish off a meal.
Smoking bans dont do much good to people. I do think that places should be allowed to let people smoke in their establishment so long as there is a seperate, enclosed area for doing so. I dont want my hobby to bother someone, and I dont want to be bothered by someone elses addiction.

So:
No SB. Only regulations requiring establishments to close off areas that will be used for smoking sections.
If smoking bans are put into effect, leave cigar based businesses alone.
Downside to any kinda regulation is that it starts symbols to get full SBs rollin....

Just curious:
I like an occasional cigarillo. What would happen if I lit one of those in an area that permitted cigarrette smoking but not cigar smoking (which is a rule I have yet to understand)?
-D

If its a true cigarillo, and not like a winchester type deal, I would say youll be asked to put it out (I was)

Why the preference of cigarettes over cigars? I've been complimented on the aroma of a cigar I was smoking once, but have never heard anyone compliment the smell of a cigarette (I only do the occasional cigar and don't do cigarettes at all).

Wonder if the person would believe me if I told them it was an herbal cigarette? Just a thought.
-D

Well, from my experience, a lot of cigarillos are more or less made from stuff similiar to pipe tobacco, which as you know, smells great. Cigars on the other hand, with the exception of those infused/flavored things, dont exactly smell good too people who arent cigar/pipe smokers, and dont really smell good at all to even those of us that do enjoy smoking cigars.

You know, I am really divided on this issue. I can see the point of people who are bothered by cigarette smoke, becuse I am one of them. Some cigs just about make me want to ralph, but sometimes they aren't so bad. I can see the point of people who are working in resturants who do not want to have to breath it all in too, I mean they have rights don't they.

On the other hand you never see cigar smokers dumping their butts in pile on the ground because they are too lazy to walk to a garbage can and do the same thing. I live across the street from a store, and I cannot count the number of times I clean up cig wrappings off my lawn adn throughout my yard because they cannot take it home with them and dispose of it properly.

Making Arnold set up a tent behind his office so that he can smoke?
Thats crazy. There is no proof that cigar smoke is dangerous so what is the point? In Canada cigars are taxed just like cigs, because it is all tobaccco, and that is crazy too.

Just my two cents worth.

When I took up cigars a little over a year ago, I set some rules down that I vowed to follow. My wife is asthmatic, so I'm intentionally careful when she's around.

No smoking indoors unless I'm out somewhere that is set up for it.

No smoking around young kids. I actually killed a nice Punch lonsdale I was given because my neighbor brought his son over to my place while I was smoking on the front porch.

Only smoke the good stuff (i.e. long filler).

Do it infrequently.

Treat the sticks right.

I can understand a waitperson wanting to get a breath of fresh air, but when someone is smoking a cigarette and I'm asked to put out a cigar, I get a little miffed.

-D

I don't go out to restaurants and such much and have never tried to light up while at one yet so I have no real personal experiences with that. But lately one of the managers at work who has a ****-on for his power has been telling me to stay away from the door because he can smell the smoke inside. Previously I had been a good little subordinate and kept away until the last time he asked. I was surrounded by cigarette smokers (as is usually the case) and he came out and told me to move away from the door. This time I know he was just being an a** because there was a lot more cigarette smoke wafting inside and I thought "I'm on city property, if he wants to try me I'll let him have it" so I blew the smoke on him as he was going back inside. Normally I would consider it a **** thing to do but now its about morals.

I too have some rules I go by: I never smoke near little kids, I never pitch my butts in public places other than out the car window (and that's only along the highway or a place like that), I never leave butts in ashtrays, I leave my cigar in the car when I deliver food, and I never let a good cigar experperience be ruined by any egotistical bourgeoisie.

Actually there is no smoking allowed in government buildings in California so Arnold had that erected himself. The state considers the grounds to be part of the building however and are trying to make him take the tent down. I say make him president. I'll settle for just doing better than our currant tyranny.

A similar thing is going on in the UN buildings and embassies. When smoking is not allowed, the officials just invoke their diplomatic immunity. :lol:

IMO, as long as you avoid smoking it near young kids (IE <18), cigar smoking should be legal indoors, provided it is in a ventilated room.