cbs0121's Notes & Reviews

Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts | 0+
In the grand tradition of Kuzi and Chris, I've decided to catalogue my experiences in one thread.

So, first, a little background. I'm just returning to cigars after about a year or so away. Before that I had smoked for around a year and a half. My preferences run mostly in the medium to full flavored range, but I do take the occasional milder cigar as a change of pace. My pallet isn't exactly fine tuned to cigars, but it's pretty good - I'm an avid cook, and before hopping on my current path I was almost a culinary arts student @ Johnson and Wales in Charlotte. I don't have any storage capacity yet, but I'll have a coolerdor up and running soon, seems like the most economical way to go about it.

And now, today's smoke.

Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos
Size: Corona Gorda, 5 and 5/8ths by 46
Wrapper: Sun Grown Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler Nicaraguan
Price Paid: $6.15 at a local B&M

Appearance-
Wrapper is a deep red with a simple red band bearing the Tatuaje name and fleur de lis. Quite a beautiful color for a cigar if I do say so myself. The veins aren't as prominent as on some Corojo cigars, no big ones standing out. Texture is smooth with a little tooth. It's very, very stiff, and that leads me to believe the draw may be a bit of an issue. The triple cap is perfect.

Pre Light -
Wow! This guy's quite aromatic. Nothing stands out prominently, but the aroma is more assertive than almost any other cigar I've had other than a Partagas Serie D no. 4 I was fortunate to score about two years ago. Different, not as barnyard-ish as the Partagas, but prominent. Sweeter, I guess is the best way to put it.

Lightup -
Huge peppery kick upfront! I was expecting a little of this, but the intensity of it all took me aback. Underneath it is a sweet smoothness that eventually takes hold after a few puffs. The first third is tasty and medium in body, but as I get about 1 and 1/4 inch into it the cigar really begins to show it's true colors.

Second Third -
I must admit my relative lack of experience compared to some of the vets on this board may explain what I'm about to describe next. This smoke showed me a flavor profile that I had never run into before - It's almost tangy. Subtly so, but it really helps define all the other flavors and cut what is now a definately full body. Coffee and cacao dominate this phase, with that haunting twang in the background.

Finish -
This is definitely a stick that finishes strong. Every puff now brings on first a woodsy flavor with a now more forthright acidity, followed by a rich bittersweet chocolate/coffee tone, and rounded out at the end by a rather subtle caramel flavor that I couldn't put my finger on until I took my final draw. Not overly sweet, but almost like a perfect caramel cooked to the point that any more heat would render it burned. Incredible. Compared to the Diploma I had over the weekend, the flavors here were much more defined and I picked up on them much more easily. I would attribute part of that to the tangy flavor that built as the cigar burned, but also to the fact that I was absolutely riveted by this smoke. Being alone for the whole time helped as well.

Burn -
To be honest, the burn was the worst I've ever had. I went into this cigar expecting some minor issues as it's wrapper is rather thick, but I had to relight twice and touch up the burn at least a half dozen times. In retrospect, I believe the cause was likely overhumidification. I smoked this cigar straight out of the walk-in at the B&M, and I will not make that mistake again once I have my coolerdor up and running. Hygrometers in the humidor were reading at about 71% or so, and a little research has indicated that Corojo wrapped cigars smoke best at 60-65%. This would explain alot, since the filler seemed to do just fine, no tunneling or cone-headedness at all. The draw was also a little too tight for me at first but it quickly opened up.

Anyways, this is getting long, so I best end it!

Overall, this was one of the most enjoyable cigars I've ever smoked, regardless of the burn. I'll likely be getting a box of these if I can to see how they develop over time. I would definately suggest trying one, but you probably aught let it rest in your humidor for a while, lest it burns like mine did.