Chalfonte VSOP Cognac

Joined Sep 2011
47 Posts | 2+
Earth
I am a long time consumer of cognac, I've paid top dollar for fine Cognac while eschewing the exorbitantly priced brand names. About ten years ago I switched to Armagnac because I found it more enjoyable and more competitively priced. Cognac had undergone a fashion trend towards lighter flavor with a harsh finish.

I accidentally bought a bottle of Cognac at Total Wine a couple of weekends ago. I was choosing Armagnac and picked up a boxed bottle not realizing it was misplaced on the shelf. When it rang up at thirty dollars I almost returned it as a mistake but decided that the universe wanted me to try this. I'm glad I listened. It was better than most hundred dollar bottles of Cognac that I've had.

Chalfonte VSOP (Bottle No. 303784.) It was smooth, had a nice balance of fruit and none of the harsh finish I detest.

I've always wanted to learn about cognac. and I have no idea what Armagnac is, so obviously I have something to add onto my list to learn! Thanks for the review!

I bumped another thread that had a good roundup. Here's a couple of links for background.
Cognac
Armagnac
Armagnac is a brandy from a region in France. The biggest differences between the two are the mix of grapes and that Cognac is distilled twice where Armagnac is distilled once.

I do not know how the flavors compare with Cognac, but lately I have been drinking Fonseca white Port. I find the flavors to compare with Glenmorangie scotch, but without the harshness caused by the higher alcohol content of the scotch. In Canada, a very nice bottle of the port is about 23 dollars, which is very easy on the pocket book.

I do not know how the flavors compare with Cognac, but lately I have been drinking Fonseca white Port. I find the flavors to compare with Glenmorangie scotch, but without the harshness caused by the higher alcohol content of the scotch. In Canada, a very nice bottle of the port is about 23 dollars, which is very easy on the pocket book.

Please do post a review thread when you get a chance!

I am hoping Santa is going to bring me a new bottle for Christmas, so I will post a review in the New Year.