Cheap Humidors

Joined Aug 2004
84 Posts | 0+
Joplin, MO
I was wondering if anyone on here ever orders from Cheap Humidors? I ordered a humi and got it, today. It was shipped just in the original box, no shipping box, or extra shipping materials to help protect it. I had two dents in the edge of the lid. I sent an email about returning it.

Do they always ship like that? Are they good with correcting issues liike that?
Thanks..

I seem to remember that my smaller desktop was shipped inside an extra box, but a larger one and cabinet were in the original packaging. I could be wrong - it's been awhile. Either way, I am sure that Dave will make good on the damages - he has been a stand-up guy to deal with.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I have seen people post int he past that it was an ok humi. But being the cheapskate, well actually on a budget, that I am you can find a good deal on cigarbid for non-damaged models. I got a 200-300 capacity for around that price and there is this one right now....

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=631332

depends on if you want it now or are willing to wait and play the bidding game.

I actually had that desktop - i picked up the same model that was supposed to be a scratch and dent - I never could find any scratch, dent or blemish. Ended up giving it to a good friend after I decided to consolidate into a cabinet.

I have picked up a lot of things from Cheap Humidors - I have no complaints.

My 2 cents.

NJsmokey said:
I have seen people post int he past that it was an ok humi. But being the cheapskate, well actually on a budget, that I am you can find a good deal on cigarbid for non-damaged models. I got a 200-300 capacity for around that price and there is this one right now....

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=631332

depends on if you want it now or are willing to wait and play the bidding game.

What was their shipping though?

The one I posted was $6.50

Here is the one I am now looking at. I sent a email inquiering on if it is spanish cedar or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-ct-CIGAR-HUMIDO ... 240%3A1318

The ones on ebay tend to save money by using cedar dividers and lined in other tyes of wood. The description of the one you posted says "lined in cedar dividers" what that means I have no idea.

Be careful of the deal that is too good to be true because it probably is.

RMPD109 said:
The ones on ebay tend to save money by using cedar dividers and lined in other tyes of wood. The description of the one you posted says "lined in cedar dividers" what that means I have no idea.

Be careful of the deal that is too good to be true because it probably is.

Thats why i sent the email to find out and here is the responce. Very quick!

Hello MR. Ball.

Thank you for your interest in our product.

Our humidors are constructed using MDF (medium density fiber) wood as well as mahogany wood and kiln lined Spanish cedar dividers. Our humidors are manufactured with cost in mind and are a great alternative to the more expensive humidors on the market today.

Some people may argue that only Spanish cedar or hardwood humidors are real, but the truth is, a humidor is as real as how it functions and how well. There is no argument that using higher grade material as may yield a better product, but it is also true that many humidors used with different materials work effectively as well.

If you do some research online you may find that some manufacturers use the same woods as the ones we use due to cost. As for the website, we live in a free country and people are free to express their opinions. Those individuals had previously posted on eBay the same, information, which was removed due to certain rules and regulations.

If you refer to the page and the pictures in which they have edited to contrast the difference between our wood and their "Spanish cedar divider", you will see an obvious difference in wood, that is because the wood we use is not Spanish cedar, but only our divider is Spanish cedar as noted in our listings. If you look at the second picture down, you will see that the divider in the humidor (small one) is the same as the "Spanish cedar divider" which the person used to show that our boxes are not made of Spanish cedar.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

B128thopen said:
...Thats why i sent the email to find out and here is the responce. Very quick!

Hello MR. Ball.

Thank you for your interest in our product.

It sounds like he being up front about it. You can now make a more informed decision.

B128thopen said:

Here is the one I am now looking at. I sent a email inquiering on if it is spanish cedar or not.

The one I posted was 9.95, but it is about playing the game with the price. The one you posted I looked at in the past but decided it was not what I really wanted and made a small coolerdor and am waiting to get what I really want. Which is.....http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/product ... y-3278.cfm

You can get this model as a scratch and dent from times to times at $280. PS they have the one you were looking at for 109 I think new. Just me .2

NJsmokey said:
B128thopen said:

The one I posted was 9.95, but it is about playing the game with the price. The one you posted I looked at in the past but decided it was not what I really wanted and made a small coolerdor and am waiting to get what I really want. Which is.....http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/product ... y-3278.cfm

You can get this model as a scratch and dent from times to times at $280. PS they have the one you were looking at for 109 I think new. Just me .2

Tom thanks for the link! Did you say they had a scratch and dent area? I can not locate it.
CB

Connor when I first strated going to their site I had trouble also. At the top click products and then imperfects on the lower right. It changes constantly but I have been watching it for some time and if you wait a little bit the one you are looking for should come up. I see that cabinet I am looking at every couple of months but it dosen't last long. Good luck!

I've wanted a Mohagany Humidor for a long time.
I've heard some good things.
I like his reply & it correct.
I've used plastic to store cigars with out any notice or effect.

Nice, fits budget & works = Winner!

CastleCrest said:
I've wanted a Mohagany Humidor for a long time.
I've heard some good things.
I like his reply & it correct.
I've used plastic to store cigars with out any notice or effect.

Nice, fits budget & works = Winner!

So you think the humidor on Ebay is a good buy?
I am just torn on that one. It seems more like they were defending their product than answering my question.
I am currently using a fridge-a-door I made and some humi-jars and they all hold perfect humidity, but I am not sure about how they will hold up to long term storage.
I have not had luck in the past with humidors, they always seem to have a bad seal. I am looking for something I can season and them only do the regular maintenance on it. I am tired of fighting with my humidors.
So i guess the question is, Is the ebay humi a good buy for not being Spanish cedar?

Connor, the only way you will know that is when you have it in your hands. I cannot speak for the quality of mail order humidors except for the "scratch and dent" one I got from Tampa. It was excellent, the "scratch" turned out to be a tiny nick on the back corner, and was hardly noticeable. If you phone them, they can tell you exactly what they have, and you can make a decision from there.

Good luck in your quest brother!! TTYL!

Update on my situation

Thanks for all your replies, guys!

Dave gave me three options. Get a replacement, after they file a claim with FedEx. You can see clearly out and in the package that it was damaged in shipping. That would take some time, but I am not out any shipping, etc. I could also take some cash back, and keep it. Or take store credit and keep it, getting more than if I did cash back. If it wasn't a gift for a new cigar lover, who tends to be anal retentive, I would have taken store credit and got him some other supplies/cigars with it.

I opted for the replacement. I emailed Dave to find out when/how I have to have the other one ready for pickup, and never heard a response. After coming back from out of town, this weekend, I have emails showing an order shipped on Friday. It's the same humidor (the replacement, I presume), and a tracking number for FedEx. It's supposed to be here, today. I was impressed at the speedy replacement. I don't think it's the norm. Seems like the other one has to be sent back first, and a claim made, etc. But Dave got one off, already. I actually just got an email back from him, and let's just say he took great care of me. I am extremely thrilled and satisfied with their customer service!!!

I highly recommend them!