chivas regal

Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts | 0+
California
Anyone had Chivas regal aged 12 yrs? I am brand knew to scotch and have read the forum about good scotch's but I was just wondering if this one is a good one to start out with? I wouldn't mind spending up to 100 dollars for a good bottle.

Chivas Regal is a very popular blend. Very mild and a decent beginner's scotch. I prefer single malt scotch and find Chivas rather bland in comparison. In the same price range, I prefer Dalmore 12(a bargain) or Glenlivet 12, both single malts. Some of my favorites in the $40.00-55.00 range locally are: Macallan 12, Talisker 10(quite peppery, maybe not for beginners), Highland Park 12, Glenmorangie 10, and Balvenie 12 DoubleWood.
I don't have any experience with the $100.00/bottle scotches, but maybe others will have some recommendations.
Is there a cigar bar or upscale bar in your neighborhood where you might try different brands and ages?
I drink scotch neat with a little spring water. Enjoying a dram of Macallan 12 right now.
I must warn you that sampling various good scotches can become an obsession, but an enjoyable one.

Well I took your advice and went to a nice upscale restaurant and tried a couple drinks. I tried Glenlivet 18 and Macallan 18. Both were REALLY expensive. I ended up paying 15 for the Glenlivet and 25 for the Macallan. But both were very nice. I think I proffered the Glenlivet though. Maybe because I am a newb :p . Although I did have then put in a little ice and a splash of water. I can see what you are saying that it will become an obsession. I can already seeing myself going and trying the Glenlivet 12 and Macallan 12. I am actually going to a cigar lounge today in SF and going to try the Glenlevit 12. I am also going to look into the other ones you mentions. Thanks again for your help.

Also, one other question if you don't mind. How does the aging process go for scotch? Just buy and forget? Or is it good to keep at a certain temp?

An unopened bottle of scotch will keep for years at room temperature. Technically, it's finished "aging" when it's bottled. Scotch that has sat around in the bottle for decades might turn a little leathery. Some people like that.
It has taken me six months to finish some bottles. The bit of air that has gotten in actually improves the taste IMO. :)