Chris's Cigar Reviews

your not a Ramon Allones Belicoso Fino Rep. are ya? if not ill look for some of these if they are still out there.

Hatchetman said:
your not a Ramon Allones Belicoso Fino Rep. are ya? if not ill look for some of these if they are still out there.

My understanding is that these are becoming harder to find. There is a rumor; however, that it may become a regular production.

October 15, 2007

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d’ Or No. 4
Size: 32 x 5.8
Vitola: Palmita
Box Code: OSU MAY 02

Pre light
The cigar has aromas of honey, light tea, and cream. It cuts easily with my Xikar giving an excellent draw. This slender cigar has a medium-brown wrapper and is a little rough to the touch.

1 Third
I’m out on the porch again on a cool, quite night and wanted to relax with a smooth cigar. This one is certainly it. The flavors are surprisingly stronger than what I expected with honey, tea, and sweet cedar. Although the cigar lights easily it requires a few relights and touch-ups before it really gets going.

2 Third
The cigar is giving off a small amount of smoke that has a pleasant, floral aroma. The burn is doing better, and the flavors are staying consistent. This cigar seems to be medium in body.

Last third
The flavors are becoming more intense as I get into the final part of the cigar. Wood flavors are dominating. The only drawback has been a few re-lights overall.

Over all impression:
This palmita is a smooth cigar that is balanced and flavorful. I was surprised at how much body it had. The cigar was very enjoyable with the re-lights being the only true drawback. This vitola would make for a nice smoke for any time of the day.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar but with burn issues)

Picture deleted due to copyright

October 29, 2007

Ashton Cabinet Series Pyramid 52 x 6.25

Wrapper: USA?Connecticut
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic
MSRP: $9-$10/cigar

The Ashton Cabinet Series was the first line extension form the original Ashton “White Laberl.” It is blended by Carlos Fuente Jr with the intention of “balance and richness.”

Pre light
The wrapper is a light tan color with an oily sheen. It has a very smooth texture and a few prominent veins. The aroma is sweet, almost akin to graham cracker and vanilla. The tip cuts easily with my Xikar, and the draw yields sweetness and earthiness.

1 Third
It’s a cold, crisp morning on my front porch, and I was looking for a lighter-bodied cigar. The cigar lights easily and gives off a pleasant, vanilla aroma. The taste is medium-bodied in nature giving subtle hints of earth and cream.

2 Third
The ash is holding very well, and it is the color of white and gray. The cigar is generating a good amount of light smoke that is pleasantly aromatic. The flavors are consistently coffee and cream in nature…very smooth. The draw had started very tight, but it is now opening up very well.

Last third
I guess I picked a bad day to smoke outside. I was about halfway done, and the wrapper split straight down the middle which I attribute the the low humidity and cold weather. It’s a shame as I was enjoying this cigar.

Over all impression:
A medium-bodied cigar with lots of sweet and cream flavors. It was very enjoyable for a morning smoke with the exception of the wrapper splitting.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar)

Copyrighted picture removed

November 1, 2007

Los Statos De Luxe Brevas
Box Code: USU-SS-IV (1998)
Measurements: 40 x 144
Size: Nacionales

Pre light
This cigar is very rustic looking with a rough and mottled wrapper and a quickly-finished cap. The pre-light aromas are leather and “barnyard” scents. If my memory serves me correctly it was machine-bunched and finished by hand. These cigars came in a semi-plain, thin box and were wrapped in foil. There are still vintage boxes floating out there for modest prices.

1 Third
The tip of the cap came off easily with my Xikar. The first few puffs presented flavors of leather and bitter coffee. The smoke stings the nostrils slightly. The cigar has a multiple number of veins as well.

2 Third
The flavors remain straightforward. The burn has been consistent and fairly even with a light amount of smoke. The ash holds very well and falls even with the foot. The cigar is medium-bodied, and there are hints of pepper in the aftertaste.

Last third
The burn is even and has required no re-lights. The flavors are consistent, but the cigar lacks much complexity.

Overall impression:
This cigar doesn’t pretend to be anything that what it truly is: a yard cigar with age and direct flavors. It’s fun to smoke, relatively inexpensive, and worth a quick smoke.

Rating:
3/6 smoke rings (an average cigar good for yardwork or outside smoking)

Reminds me of the Jose Piedra Cazzadore - true yard cigar or golf cigar - they are what they are. I have a Los Statos in my humidor and a ton of leaves - might as well give it a whirl.

November 6, 2007

Don Pepin Garcia Invictos 50 x 7

Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
MSRP: $5-6/cigar

This vitola belongs to the original Don Pepin “Blue Label” line. It bears a medium-brown, oily corojo wrapper.

Pre light
After cutting the cigar the pre-light taste and aroma are of leather and cocoa bean with a hint of spice. The wrapper is slightly rough with no noticeable veins.

1 Third
This cigar was very easy to light. I immediately got full flavors of leather and rich coffee bean. It is yielding a generous amount of smoke that is pleasing to the senses. The burn starts off uneven but is easily corrected with a slight touchup. The ash is a salt and pepper gray.

2 Third
The cigar has a rich, full body. The aftertaste is a combination of coffee and toasted almonds. The cigar is tightly packed and required a relight at this time. The ash has been holding very well.

Last third
Flavors are staying very consistent. I’m picking up a slight buttery flavor on the aftertaste.

Over all impression:
A quality cigar with excellent construction and flavor. My only complaint is the uneven burn which required a few touchups.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar; smoke it now)

November 18, 2007

Illusione 88 Robusto 52 x 5

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
MSRP: $6-7/cigar

This vitola is fairly new and is made with tobacco from the Jalapa and Esteli regions of Nicaragua. I’ll preface this review by saying I just received a sampler of these a few days ago so the cigar has only been resting for a short period of time. Normally I would let cigars sit for some time prior to smoking; however, I was very eager to try this marca.

Pre light
The cigar is covered with a rich, Colorado wrapper and is finished with a triple cap. The cigar cuts easily with aromas of leather and coffee bean.

1 Third
The cigar starts with rich leather and coffee flavors with a hint of spice. It yields a generous amount of smoke, which is pleasant to the senses.
It is definitely a full-bodied cigar.

2 Third
The ash is firm and holding well. The cigar has required a couple of minor touch-ups. The flavors are staying consistent with an additional hint of earthiness. The burn is cool. I’m not detecting any harshness or bitterness at all.

Last third
There is a slight build in the spicy character. The burn has evened out at this point. Flavors are still rich and consistent.

Over all impression:
A well-constructed, beautiful cigar with rich, bold flavors throughout. The uneven burn can be attributed to the lack of rest on my part. It will be interesting to see how these cigars mellow with some time. This cigar is one of the best non-Cubans I’ve smoked and reminded me a great deal of the classic Tatuaje line.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar that should improve with rest)

December 3, 2007

Bolivar Corona Gigante
Box Code: PUL EUOO
Measurements: 47 x 7
Size: Julieta

This cigar was generously gifted to me by a fellow brother. It’s been sitting in the humidor for about six to eight weeks and caught my eye tonight.

Pre light
The cigar cut easily with aromas of coffee and leather. The wrapper is oily and bumpy.

1 Third
The cigar opens up with immediate spice followed by mocha coffee flavors. There is a generous amount of smoke. The spice mellows very quickly giving way to leather.

2 Third
The burn is near perfect, and the cigar has mellowed to a sweet cedar with an earthy aftertaste. It is very smooth and incredibly easy to smoke with no hint of harshness at all.

Last third
The smoothness is still running consistent. The flavors are predominantly coffee and leather with an earthy aftertaste.

Overall impression:
A very enjoyable cigar with no harshness. It has an incredible mellowness that allows the flavors to be enjoyed easily. The size is perfect if one has the time to smoke it.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar that I could smoke over and over)

December 29, 2007

Cohiba Siglo VI
Size: 52 x 6 Canonazo
Box Code: ROA MAR 06

This cigar is the biggest in the Siglo line. It has a rich, tan wrapper with no noticeable veins. The cigar is well constructed and cuts easily. My butane lighters have become useless in the cold so I’ve switched to matches. The pre-light aroma is wheaty with hints of leather and light coffee.

1 Third
The draw is firm with little flavors except wheat. Nothing much interesting so far. Right now I’m picking up the typical grassy flavors common to Cohibas. The cigar is packed quite tightly possibly contributing to the firm draw.

2 Third
The cigar has begun to open up nicely with burst of white pepper. The pepper subsides yielding flavors of cream and honey. The burn is even with a long ash that falls flush with the foot. The cigar is medium-bodied and picking up nicely in intensity of flavors.

3 Third
The draw has been much more to my liking picking up with the second third and continuing into the last third. The flavors are remaining consistent with honey and cream and a slight butteriness on the finish. No real harshness detected, but the pepper flavors are coming back. The last third is the most enjoyable so far. The aftertaste is “clean.” The ash has held very well throughout the entire smoke.

Overall Impressions
A well-constructed cigar that takes patience to open up. The flavors are there but certainly need more time to develop. I should know better than to smoke a Cohiba so young, but I wanted to see how these were progressing. It’s time to put the box in long-term storage.

Rating
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar for now)

December 30, 2007

Montecristo Edmundo
52 x 5 3/8
Vitola: Edmundo
Box Code: ECA DIC 05

Pre-light
These have been resting for a while. It’s a balmy 47 here today so I’m out in the garage. The aroma is of leather and cocoa bean. The cap cuts easily with my Xikar, but I get a small shaving hanging off that is easily removed. The wrapper is a medium brown and oily in nature. There are prominent veins, and there is toothiness to the touch.

1 Third.
The cigar lights well, and the burn is even within the first inch. The flavors are leather and coffee bean in nature. There is a slight grassy flavor to the aftertaste. The cigar is creamy and smooth on the palate.

2 Third
The burn is slightly uneven, and there is a fair amount of smoke pleasing to the nose. The ash is salt and pepper in color. The burn is still causing some problems so I had to touch up. The flavors are remaining consistent. The aftertaste has lost the grassy flavor and is more of a leather flavor now.

3 Third
Flavor profile is staying consistent. There is a slight amount of harshness toward the end. Burn problems abound and require a bit of effort to touch up.

Overall Impressions
A flavorful cigar with complex notes. Some more aging should help to smooth it out. The burn issues took away a little bit from the enjoyment. I’ll have to sample further before making any lasting comments on the vitola.

Rating
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar)

February 15, 2008

Trinidad Ingenios EL 2007
Measurements: 6.5 x 42
Vitola: Lonsdale/Cervantes
Box Code: POS SEP 07

Pre-light:
A long slender cigar covered with a rich brown wrapper and finished with a pigtail cap. The cap snips easily revealing espresso bean aromas and flavors. The wrapper is toothy to the touch. The cigars come packaged in wooden boxes of 12. I lit up this cigar in the garage while listening to an NPR podcast of Belle and Sebastian, one of my favorite bands.

1 Third:
This cigar begins with rich coffee and cocoa bean flavors that do not overpower the palate. The cigar lights easily, and the draw is just right. The smoke is aromatic with earth and cedar undertones that are pleasing to the sinuses.

2 Third
After a couple of minor touch-ups, the cigar is burning evenly. The flavors are smooth with a creamy undertone. The coffee and cocoa bean flavors have mellowed in intensity to create an enjoyable blending that is pleasing to the palate.

3 Third
Flavors are staying consistent with a slight pepperiness on the finish. A few more touch-ups were required. The cigar is still producing a generous amount of smoke. Some harshness was detected closer to the nub.

Overall Impressions
The Ingenios is a good-looking cigar with a wonderful blend of flavors. The touch-ups took away from my overall enjoyment. The cigar had two things against it going into it: youth and the fact is it an EL. I will say with respect to the Sublime, this cigar is the second-best EL I’ve had.

Rating
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar that should improve with more time)

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to post your reviews. I always enjoy reading them and actually find them quite helpful.

DL

Illusione 4/2G
Measurements: 7 ½ x 49
Size: Double Corona
MSRP: $8-9 per stick

Pre light
This is one big cigar. The triple cap cuts easily with my Xikar and has excellent construction. The wrapper is a colorado with a few noticeable veins. The prelight aroma is of leather and coffee bean. The cigar is made with Corojo 99 and Criollo 98 seeds.

1 Third
This cigar immediately starts off full-bodied with rich, leather flavors underscored by cedar and a small amount of spice. The palate stays moist.

2 Third
The spiciness of this cigar really comes out as it transitions into this third. The cedar flavors are smooth on the finish. The cigar is burning even with a firm ash. The smoke is thick and aromatic, and there is a smoky and meaty flavor to the cigar. The burn required a slight touch-up.

Last third
A quick re-light and purge was required. The flavors are staying consistent. I’m still getting lots of thick smoke right down to the end.

Overall impression:
A well-constructed cigar with rich, smoky flavors. The burn and draw are excellent. This double corona was an enjoyable cigar.

Rating:
4/6 smoke rings (a good cigar that should improve with some rest)