Cigar/beverage pairings

Joined Apr 2006
2K Posts | 1+
on the grass
This thread really belongs to Smart Ash and flagman
to quote flagman in the St patricks day cigar thread:
Great post, Smart Ash. Sounds like a great idea. Match the perfect cigar with the perfect bottle of beer or booze. I havent' had a Sancho Panza in some time. I think I will stop and buy a few tomorrow! Sounds like a good discussion topic. Match a cigar with a beer , wine or booze. This needs some thought !

i too have spent alot of time thinking of what to drink with a good cigar.

here are some things that i have observed.

Cusano 1997 corojo pairs very well with Coke... add a splash of vanilla stoli and its just as good.

AF Hemmingways pair well with coffee. Some think this makes a good AM smoke. Add some whiskey too it to make it an evening smoke.

I may be a loner on this one but i think that 5 Vegas type As go well with a hot Captain Morgan spiced rum and apple cider... but only in the late fall when you come in from that cigar with a chill on your face.

I find when i drink and smoke i tend to stay away from beer unless it it is a very full bodied porter and the cigar has alot of chocolate notes to it. I also tend to pour my drinks on teh weak side. The hard stuff tends to over power most cigars so i find myself either drinking OR smoking, not drinking AND smoking.

I have found that there are not to many cigars that don't go with Coffee.

I like Diet coke with my cigars,I think that you need to be carefull with Booze because it will one deaden the taste buds and two will over power the cigar. You need to pick a cigar that will stand up the Drink.

I agree with both of you on the booze. 98.99% of the time I drink rum, tequila, bourbon, scotch, vodka, or whatever, neat. Haven't tried too many cigar/soft drink combinations. I do like cigars and coffee and on the ride home from work I have a bottle of cold water with my cigar.

I do a lot of scotch, sometimes some vodka. I agree with Barochris about the diet coke, for some reason it goes nicely.

Jeez Louise, Jim - how can you agree with him? Look at him - he's a clown???? Next he will be saying that cigars go well with pails of confetti.

well... like i mentioned, my latest thing is sancho panza madies
with a nice, cold GUINESS!! they are just a matched pair and
even the pre light smell and the guinnee's aroma are close!!

i generally drink an iced tea [not to sweet] with my evening
smoke, or a cold beer if i am in the mood.

as the previous poster said, to many strong booze and liquers
over power most cigars. the pairing should set up the other!!

in the morning, it is a a cold expresso/mocha drink with my
chosen morning 'gar, either my sancho or a macanudo gold
which is a light cigar as i generaly like in the am.

a nice scotch and soda with a CX2 doesnt suck, morning
OR evening!! :lol: :oops:

and i really pair my drink with the cigars over tones.

i was doing a ROYAL JAMAICA the other night in a trip
down to TOMBSTONE, AZ that was gifted by a fellow BOTL.

REAL spicy smoke and my tea wasnt keeping up. went
into the hotel bar and got a top shelf cognac and that
spicey libation made the smoke much more tolerable
for me [didnt really like the royal jam] and the pairing
saved the experiance.

and what an experiance it was! smoke in one hand, drink
in the other at sunset, looking at the majestic dragoon
mountains envisioning wyatt and doc and the clantons
and gironimo and john ringo and cochise riding along to
some adventure on the same landscape i was peering at
some 120 years before. you really can feel the "ghosts"
there.

so my point is, before i got lost in history, is that sometimes
the right pairing of drink can even SAVE a smoking experiance
as well as ruin it.

havnt run into a madie yet though that didnt like a guiness.

I mostly drink coffee with my cigars - it's just my preference, but when I was in SD with Barco and Gary (from HCF) we were sitting at Churchills enjoying some Stone IPA's with our sticks.

The last cigar I smoked was very mild and I was pretty disappointed with it. That's when Gary orders us a round of tawny Port. I was hesitant at first because I had only drank Ruby Port which was way too sweet for me. It was not only fantastic port - but it made the cigar a much more flavorable experience. The pairing was perfect.

Coffee is my favorite pairing. Most will do the trick, but somethimes flavored coffees will send it over the edge; or kill it completely, so I drink it black when having a cigar. I like scotch and cognac sometimes. Once in a while Gran Marnier when I feel like something sweet. Port is good with lighter to medium bodied cigars for me. Diet coke when I don't want coffee or alcohol. Its OK, but there are better matches out there. I usually don't like water with my cigfars. Doesn't cleanse the palate enough.

This may sound totally weird, but I really like my cigars with coffee.... and coconut milk.

I usually brew coffee in a Bialetti espresso maker, add 1 cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup of hot water and go outside and smoke. The coffee is a lovely creamy brown color and goes well, IMO, with a Tatuaje.

Never tried coke though. I'll give it a go.

JASON: i get it!!

i like that idea and can see where it would pair nicely
with a variety of smokes. i have not tried this concoction
before, but i can allready taste it and will try it soon.

far be it from me to not try a not so common drink [ala
the niquil margarita] made with the original green stuff,
not the blue or fruit punch or any other of that gonad
reducing fruity niquil they have out now!

and it paires real well with, uuuummm, lets see..... it
was the, nope, i was smoking a.....no, thats not it,
hmmmmm, oh well, iwas smoking some sort of'gar with
the niquarita and from what i remember, it was a good
pairing!!

:roll: :D 8)

I will try several pairings as the week goes. Just droped wife and kids off at the airport so I have 6 days of cigar and beverage bliss!

Don't drink alcohol, don't drink coffee and don't drink soda.

I find that out of neccesity, water pairs well with pretty much any cigar. 8)

I live in NE Phoenix. Basicaly cave Creek and the 101.

CMONT: you are out there a ways from me over here on the
east side. i camp up on the north hills off cave creek rd just
down from carefree.

any good smoke shops out there??

i wonder if that is the same carefree hiway that GORDON LIGHTFOOT sang about?

if so, i can see why!!

I love it out this way. There are several good shops. Magnum's, nice selection a little pricey, but have an unreal selection of beer and fine scotches. A descent shop with awesome pricing is Stagg Tobacco at the metro center. I buy all my Padrons there. You can get the 1926 40th anniversary for $10 cheaper than anywhere I can find!

Craig