Cigar Cutter Accident

Joined Jul 2007
132 Posts | 0+
NC
Anyone here ever had an accident with a cigar cutter the you (or someone you know ;) )left in your pocket or something like that? I stick my hand in my pocket a few minutes ago and about stuck it in the hole where the razor blade slices. Got me to thinking that I bet someone here has cut them self.

Michael Jordan did once, a very famous cigar cutting accident. Not the top flight corporate executive, the basketball player. Yup, thought his finger was a cigar, he did.

dbrad4d said:
One more good reason I carry a Xikar in one of their free leather sheaths.

This is the first I've heard of the sheath, I just went and registered my cutter and they said they will be sending me one for free. Just a note in case people didn't know about it.

That is news to me. Now just to pony up the $40 to buy one. Are they really worth it compared to my $1 Briar and Bean plastic guillotine cutter?

lincolnprins said:
That is news to me. Now just to pony up the $40 to buy one. Are they really worth it compared to my $1 Briar and Bean plastic guillotine cutter?

Yes they are. Its an excellent product with even better customer service. I broke mine and put the parts in a bag and sent it back and about a week and a half later I had a brand new one.

That being said I have a credit card shaped Cuban Crafters cutter that is simply fantastic. I have had it for about a year and its still razor sharp its also made of stainless steele

A good cutter is definitely worth it. I've found the biggest difference to be just going from a cheapie to something decent though. Xikar cutters are nice, but they don't work that much better than the $20 Cuban Crafters double guillotine I had before I got my Xi3.
There are other nice cutters around too. I know a guy who had a Xikar, broke it, and decided to give a Credo cutter a try while his Xikar was out for repairs. He liked the way the Credo worked better, though he often still carried his Xikar since it was a lot smaller.
On a good day a shop will have a few different kinds you can play with before making your decision.

If you've got one of those Cuban Crafters double guillotines that are held together by a bunch of little screws keep an eye on the screws. My former local B&M back in Chicago quit carrying them because they got too many complaints about the screws falling out.

I have an Xi2, but NEVER use it. I find it to be too bulky. I want to try out one of those Palio cutters.

I use a punch Mostly. I really like the way it smokes, but for a torp I use a Multi tool. I love those guys. I also think that it is quite important to keep a set of Henry's cigar tools around for those tight sticks. They will pay for themselves in a month.

I had the same experience as Elidog ... while I was cleaning my original Xikar Xi2 cutter I inadvertantly unscrewed the pivot screw and the thing came apart. I put it in a baggie and sent it back to them asking that they reassemble it for me and I received a brand new cutter and sheath. I have two of them and two Executive lighters to go with them.

I don't worry too much about the size of the cutter ... I carry it and an Executive lighter and a Xi MTX multi-tool and a Xi 007 punch and a knife and a small Gerber multi-tool everywhere I go. Goes back to my Scouting days I guess ... Be Prepared! :lol:

I didn't know registering our Xikar cutters would get us a free sheath! I'll need to register mines!

dbrad4d said:
I had the same experience as Elidog ... while I was cleaning my original Xikar Xi2 cutter I inadvertantly unscrewed the pivot screw and the thing came apart. I put it in a baggie and sent it back to them asking that they reassemble it for me and I received a brand new cutter and sheath. I have two of them and two Executive lighters to go with them.

I don't worry too much about the size of the cutter ... I carry it and an Executive lighter and a Xi MTX multi-tool and a Xi 007 punch and a knife and a small Gerber multi-tool everywhere I go. Goes back to my Scouting days I guess ... Be Prepared! :lol:

Do you have the address on where to send it? I, um dropped mine. :oops:

hmmmm.... isnt this thread about accidents with your cutter?

i once put my hand in my pocket and my punch had been left open. it was just a scratch but it scared the crap out of me.

I've been using my Xikar Xi2 now for about a year and found it to work very well. Xikar all the way. A draw poker, however, comes in very nicely if you have a plugged cigar.

kuzi16 said:
hmmmm.... isnt this thread about accidents with your cutter?

i once put my hand in my pocket and my punch had been left open. it was just a scratch but it scared the crap out of me.

I worry about that with my punch actually. I'd like one with a covered blade, but haven't found a covered one with a large enough diameter to suit me yet.

Of course I'm actually more worried about dulling the blade than cutting myself :D

I've sliced my finger on Xikar digging into my golf bag - I always keep them closed now.

Kelvin, if you're going to slice ANYTHING, by all means, let it be your drive and not your finger!!!