Cigar Trade Cigar giveaway for the best 100 words or less!

Vincent,

Your contest got me thinking about people that for whatever reason cannot be with us for the holidays. I just want to share a story with everyone here about a good friend of mine.

Dave and I went to high school together and although we weren't close friends we would still see each other from time to time over the years. He was in a car accident about 15 years ago and was left a quadriplegic. I would talk to him every now and then when I saw him but nothing but small talk.

We really became close about two years ago. He was a very independent guy. Had his own van and was a manager for the financing division of a large jeweler. Dave was truely an inspirational person. He was always trying to help others, always in a good mood. The guy couldn't move his hands or legs yet he traveled, went skiing and sky diving. He spoke at spinal recovery groups and raised money for other charities.

He was the kind of friend who would stop by my house on his way home from work a couple times a week. We would drink a bottle of wine or bourbon and smoke cigars until 3 am.

My kids thought he was great. They would help me carry him in the house and play games with him. They loved to arm wrestle. How hard is it to beat a quad at arm wrestling? He thought it was hilarious.

Last year I told him that my wife and I were not exchanging Christmas gifts because of money being tight. Dave called me from my driveway this night last year. When I went out to his van he had a beautiful necklace from the jeweler and told me to give it to my wife but not tell her he brought it. Said he got an amazing deal.

Dave passed away on June 16th this year. They found him in his van pulled off the side of the road. Respiratory arrest, no specific reason.

Tonight I am going to take the beagle for a walk out back and light up a Gurkha Centurian (my first). Ketel One on ice in a big fat coffee mug and toast my friend.

Happy holidays to everyone.

Now thats a great story "apratt". Good friends are hard to come by, holding on to them is even harder.

Warmest wishes,

Vincent