Cigar humidity

Joined May 2016
14 Posts | 0+
Dunedin
I used hot glue on seals between the glass and wood of my humidor to ensure airtight seal, as well as using vinyl foam tape around the edges of the openings. I have a foam humidifier with PG solution and two preloaded (PG) humistat tubes along with a digital aftermarket hygrometer. I've had about 50 cigars in the 40-cigar count humidor with these devices for the past three days and my humidity still reads 63% RH. Does it take a bit for the cigars to reach the right humidity in order for the overall climate within the humidor to read better, or might I have another leak somewhere in it?

It depends on how dry the humidor was when you reloaded it. Without seasoning, the humidity will tend to be absorbed by the wood.

Ah yes, the other thing I forgot to mention...I calibrated the hygrometer that came with the humidor twice, and took a week to season it twice. So two weeks of seasoning it in total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much about 63%- that's a good number for most cigars.

Reactions: 1 users
They're just a little too dry for my liking. I seasoned it once more using a soaking sponge (not dripping) on a plastic bag inside. They seem to be doing a bit better this time around, I also got glued the area that the hygrometer, which comes with the humidor, sits. It was at 88% by the time I took the sponge out 48 hours after putting it in. Hopefully it works this time

When I put the cigars in, it was reading 72% and it's finally staying stable with its RH. I think I had a leak where my hygrometer sits and hot gluing around it did the trick

Yep, Sometimes they are pretty loose. I remember that I glued one in on one of my 50 counts.

Reactions: 1 users