Cigar register

Doc-T, are you trying to add the cigar to your humi or to the database? I have added several cigars to the database and then to my humi and have had no problems doing it this way. Hope this helps.

Brad

I'm trying to add it to my humi.

Are the info in "Window 1 of 2" suppose to automatically fill up after selecting the Brand and Name of the cigar? If so, I get the "Invalid Number" error message, and need to manually fill in the rest of the empty text box entries. But even if I do that, I get the message that the cigar already exists in the database.

When I add a cigar to the database I get this box. Notice it is window 1 of 1, not 1 of 2 like you are getting. You might try adding it to the database first.

Attachments

• window 1 of 1.JPG
    window 1 of 1.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 394
Searching the forum I came across this. It looks bad-ass. Right now I keep track with a primitive excel sheet that I keep a log of what comes in (Purchase and PIF) and what goes out (smoking and PIF), but it is very primitive and a pain b/c i still have kinks in it like when I smoke a stick i have to highlight it to show i don't have it anymore and another color to show if I PIFed it out.
Gets a bit confusing.

Does anyone still use this program?
Thoughs?
I was going to give it a try when I got home.

I have had this for a while but I've yet to use it. Time to give it a shot and get organized.

I really wish i would have started this from the beginning. I have some cigars from PIF's that I don't remember who they came from. On the same token, I would like to remeber what I send out as well. I will be getting a tower cabinet after the first of the year and when I switch over, I'll take an inventory and have Cheryl make me a spread sheet.

DL

I must agree with just the one desktop I could keep track but with two desktops and a cooler I have lost track at this point.

Okay, I downloaded it and installed it. Now that I'm trying to enter the cigars in my humi and coolidor, please tell me how a 3801-cigar inventory can NOT have any Rocky Patels in it?

Out of the first four cigars I tried to enter, only 1 was in the database.

Something wrong??

Thanks,

Marty

jlmarta said:
Okay, I downloaded it and installed it. Now that I'm trying to enter the cigars in my humi and coolidor, please tell me how a 3801-cigar inventory can NOT have any Rocky Patels in it?

Out of the first four cigars I tried to enter, only 1 was in the database.

Something wrong??

Thanks,

Marty

Nope, same happened to me. I stopped after that...lol

Yeah, I think I will, too. This software just ain't ready for prime-time, as they say.

If they ever get the bugs out of it and a complete database (not in centimeters, either) then maybe I'll try it again.

Have a great day,

Marty

jlmarta said:
Yeah, I think I will, too. This software just ain't ready for prime-time, as they say.

If they ever get the bugs out of it and a complete database (not in centimeters, either) then maybe I'll try it again.

Have a great day,

Marty

You can change the centimeter thing. Its under user pref. or options.
CB

HMmmm! I didn't find that. Thanks for the tip.

But, you know, that's only a small improvement. When it comes to that database, that needs a LOT of improvement. I'll give you an example:

I was recently gifted with a sampler of some pretty good cigars. One of them was an Arturo Fuente. Now, we all know that there are a BUNCH of Arturo Fuentes cigars out there but, because this particular sampler came from Thompson Cigars, there is no way for me to know WHICH Arturo Fuente it is. And the database is of no help in this regard.

I sent an e-mail to Thompson (second time this has happened to me) and asked them which AF it was. Their reply (same as the first time) was that, when they're putting these samplers together they sometimes run short of a given cigar and so they substitute a different one. Since they don't have any way of knowing which sampler I got, they can't possibly answer my question.

So, I naturally tried to cross-reference it with the CigarCyclopedia. This is a pretty good source of data and I use it frequently, but even IT doesn't include all the cigars out there. When I looked at all the different AF's listed there I counted at least 4 different lonsdales which, based on size, etc. I can only assume the cigar in question is.

Now the question is: which of the four is the one I have? We know it's not a Don Carlos or an Anejo because, according to the CigarCyclopedia, those two don't offer a lonsdale. This means it's just an Arturo Fuente but it could be a Privada No. 1 Sel. d'Oro, a Spanish Lonsdale, a Curly head, or a curly head Deluxe.

See where I'm going with this? And that's only ONE of the cigars I have on hand.

That's why I say this software needs a lot of improvement before it's ready for prime-time.

Marty

Re:

corojobrad said:
When I add a cigar to the database I get this box. Notice it is window 1 of 1, not 1 of 2 like you are getting. You might try adding it to the database first.

I've tried adding it to the database first and I STILL get the "invalid number" message.

Also, can someone explain to me how to include an image like CorojoBrad has done? That's a good thing to know but I can't seem to figure that out, either. But then, it's a Monday, after all......

Marty

Hoo Hah! My bad! Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. I take back all those ridiculous comments I made about the cigar Register database. I think I finally figured the thing out...or at least a good part of it. The reason the database isn't complete is that the plan is for US to complete it by adding any cigars we have that aren't included in their original database.

Once you have established your humidors/cabinets/etc. and want to begin entering your cigars in them, take your list of cigars and go to the DATABASE section and start looking them up. It helps if your list is alphabetized. When you come to a cigar you have that isn't in the database just click on "New Cigar" and add it. That's where CorojoBrad was getting that "Screen 1/1" icon that I couldn't find.

When you've got all your cigars represented in the database, go back through the list and start entering them to the appropriate humi, cabinet, etc.

And that cussed "Invalid Number" message that keeps popping up? It's telling us we can't put a fraction where they want a decimal number. Or we can't put a ? where they want something else. Ya just have to guess what they want.

Sorry, guys. Sometimes my short temper causes me to start running off at the mouth when a little thoughtful reflection would work much better for me. You'd think at my age I'd know better.

Marty

Another thing I found that's kinda nice is that once you've located a cigar in the database that you want to enter in one of your humi's, just highlight it andyou can 'click & drag' it to whichever humi you want it in. A word of caution - it's a little sensitive. Be sure the humi you're heading for is the one that's "tan-lighted" before you release your finger from the mouse or you'll drop it into the wrong humi and have to move it. "Tan-lighted" is what it looks like when the cursor is pointed at a given humi - - it isn't "greyed-out" and it isn't highlighted in blue as usual.

Also, if a person chooses to, they can enter the RH and temperature readings from their various humi's and the software will chart these recordings. You can do it daily or whenever the mood strikes you.

All in all, the more I play with this software, the more I'm liking it.

Marty

Marty,
I can not get this program to do any of this. I keep getting error messages. I will post one when I get home. I am about to give up. I cant even create a humi on it.

B128thopen said:
Marty,
I can not get this program to do any of this. I keep getting error messages. I will post one when I get home. I am about to give up. I cant even create a humi on it.

I've got 2 humidors created but I can't add cigars because it keeps giving me the stupid "Invalid Number" error...and i've tried changing every field but it won't ever accept it....

I tried to use this software awhile back but I got the same invalid number error. You think they would have fixed that by now. It's been almost a year.

i finally found out how to use it...you have to go through the database to choose a cigar you want to add to your humidor...it's actually working very smoothly for me now