cigar size

Joined Oct 2005
655 Posts | 0+
bradenton, florida
i've only been smoking cigars for about a year now. being a large guy (6'4" 325lbs.) i tend to smoke large sizes like churchills and double coronas. is there any difference in taste and quality in the difference sizes. what size is your favorite?

There is definitely different tastes between different ring gauges. Having a larger gauge allows the roller (or company) to include more blends of tobacco. Also, having a longer cigar, the smoke has more tobacco to pass though, affecting the taste. (I think)lol

Longer cigars will give more dimensions to the cigar as tar buildup will affect the flavor. Which I find a good thing though I know several who disagree. Shorter cigars will also burn hotter and give a more smoky flavor (less tobacco to diffuse it).

I'm pretty much like you jhopephulle. At 5'-9" and 235 lbs. I choose bigger ring cigars! My self imposed minimum ring is 50, but I'll smoke a 48! I love 54 ring, and I really enjoy a 60.

Long live the BIG RING!!!! :D

I prefer a larger ring. I find the smoke is cooler(which to me is more enjoyable) and has more flavor. Also, I have trouble keeping the smaller ring lit lol
6'1 212lbs

The thinner ring gauges, even on a long cigar, can burn hotter, but also impart more flavor, or stronger flavors perhaps, because it is sometimes said that a large ring gauge allows more air in, thus making the flavors less bold in say, a 54 ring gauge cigar than a 42. I have experienced this myself, although the point has also been made right here, that a thicker cigar can indeed accomodate more leaves in the blend.

I think overall you have to judge from brand to brand. I have definitely discovered that the thinner Opus X's have big flavor. I haven't had any of the thicker ones, but the thin Opus X's that I've had confirm much of what has been said in reviews.

By the way, Tiny Tim and Jhopephulle, among the MANY things my team (The Piper Cubs) needs is an offensive lineman and a fullback. You fellas seem to fit the bill. How 'bout I get you tryouts?

PLEASE, ANYONE, HELP US!!! WE'RE GOING DOWN YET AGAIN, SPINNING DOWN, DOWN, . . .

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY . . .

CRASH!!!

(Smoke emanates from a flaming green wreckage. USMC6672 is seen with his hat over his heart. He bled green until his blood ran dry. Bloof is seen standing next to USMC6672, inhaler in hand, weeping profusely. Alas, 40 years of being a Jets fan, only one day in the sun, so, so, SOOOOOOOOOOO long ago.)

The biggest determining factor for me of the cigar size I smoke is the amount of time I have to smoke. A churchhill for me is a two hour or better smoke, and I rarely have that kind of time. I tend to stick with robustos, anything smaller than that doesn't interest me much. I can nurse along a robusto for better than an hour. I don't get the correlation between body size and cigar size. I'm not real interested in the big ring cigars either, not that I won't smoke them, I just tend not to buy them. In terms of biggest preference I like the belicosas and torpedors probably the most.

I find that i like the robusto size the best; but for no specific reason. I don't discriminate; I'll smoke any size. :p I even like cigarillos once in a while.

Interesting to see that nmcowboy, who like me is usually very active in the wee hours, has shown up 12 hours early. Must be an "off" day. :cryinlaugh:

Torps, Robustos, and Churchills. I find when I smoke smaller (TTT Corona springs to mind) there isn't as much flavor and is a hotter smoke.

I know Bloof said he finds smaller gauge inhances his flavor, I find just the opposite. :wink:

Big Paintbrush said:
Torps, Robustos, and Churchills. I find when I smoke smaller (TTT Corona springs to mind) there isn't as much flavor and is a hotter smoke.

I know Bloof said he finds smaller gauge inhances his flavor, I find just the opposite. :wink:

Ditto.

I don't know if I said THAT. Go back and read it again. I said that I found that to be true according to the REVIEWS that I had read concerning the Opus X brand only. I said that the premise had been put forth by others that thinner cigars, or smaller ring gauge can impart more flavor. I PERSONALLY wouldn't know that for all the other brands I've smoked, because I only purchase Churchill sized cigars or larger for my own smoking pleasure. I do not like thin, small ring gauged cigars, and have rarely smoked them. When I do purchase smaller cigars, it is almost always to send to other people, and usually smaller in length, not ring gauge.

As for robustos vs. Churchills, both sizes being approximately the same ring gauge, I find a generally large air flow to exist in both, but they usually taste the same, also torpedos, which have a similar thickness to robustos or Churchills. The air flow can be radically different however, in a torpedo vs. robusto or Churchill, because of the tapered end.

I've heard it said that the cigar should match the person smoking it, in as much as a skinny guy should smoke a lonsdale type cigar, and a big guy would smoke a big ring cigar.

I suppose that would work "according to the book", but I'm sure I'd get several of you argue the point!

I do, however, follow the guideline myself! :lol: :lol:

I would look a little funny with a small ring cigar hanging out of my mouth! People would think it was a cigarette! :shock:

Being 5'6" and 170 a churchill in mouth would probably look a little silly. But that won't stop me. 8)

bigger the better

like many others, I dont' have time. I have been working 12-14 hour shifts for the last couple weeks. When I do hav etime to smoke a cigar, it's my wifes petite flavored ones in the car :-(. I have a humidor full of cigars that are screaming my name everytime I walk by them but I can't give them the attention they need.

Febuary I should be on 8 hour shifts again, hopefully, and i hope I can enjoy my cigars the way they should be smoked.

Matt