Cigar smoke that non-cigar smokers like and dislike

Joined Mar 2006
845 Posts | 0+
Michigan
Avgeek made a comment in another thread about being told three times in the last year that someone else liked the smell of his cigar. I started thinking and I could recall a few times that I had been complimented on the smell of whatever I was smoking at the time. Mostly my g/f will remark on a cigar I have lit but my brothers do once in while as well. It made me curious as to what cigars do you get complimented on and which ones do people not appreciate?

For myself I noticed that the Fuente Sungrowns, Padron 64's and Cuesta Rey's have drawn some positive comments while the CAO Brazilia and Partagas Black seem to make a neutral person remark on how bad that cigar stinks.

Anybody else get this type of feedback and with what kind of cigars?

Backwoods don't count :lol:

I can't really recall which ones have received positive comments. A coworker said I smelled nice after a Cien Anos. I know that twice people have said that the Torano 1916 smelled awful.

I usually smoke by myself or with other cigar smokers. The smell doesn't really come up in either situations.

During my ACID period I would have women comment on how they liked the smell but my smoking buddies would state their strong dislike of the aroma from ACIDS. My wife likes the smell of montesino but hates my cohibas.

Every year my friends and I do our Christmas shopping together in one big kinda boys day out celebration. Anyway, we we're having dinner at a Ruby Tuesdays and afterward I started to cut my cigar. I don't remember what I was smoking (I think it was a Camacho Corojo) but at that moment our waitress (whom we had been flirting with all day, every time we took a break from shopping) said "Yuck! I hate cigar smoke!" At that moment my friend (oddly enough, who's last name is Quintero haha) said to her "Then you haven't smelled a quality cigar." After a few minutes of smoking it she and another waitress came back to say how much they like the smell and that she was sorry.

So, there you go. Gas station cigars are giving the rest a bad name! :)

chrisguinther said:
I smoke alone. I'm in Ohio. Man, I'm such a loser.
i too smoke alone. I am also in ohio. i am also a loser.

you and i should put something together this summer. Id be up for an ohio sit-down.

CyberPsyko said:
we we're having dinner at a Ruby Tuesdays and afterward I started to cut my cigar

I remember the days when we here in Jersey could smoke indoors....ahhhh the good old days...

The only place I ever really smoked and talked to other people was at a local bar which was always filled with smokers. I can remember an Upman going over pretty well, as well as Punch, which was what I mostly smoked before joining this forum.

kuzi16 said:
chrisguinther said:

you and i should put something together this summer. Id be up for an ohio sit-down.

Yes, an Ohio sit-down is definitely in order.

chrisguinther said:
kuzi16 said:
chrisguinther said:

Hey ... y'all could have a sit-down in Gainesville

Gee, did I say that??? :oops:

My wife, who does not smoke, has commented that she likes the smell of my Cuesta Rey's and my Montecristo's the best.

dbrad4d said:
chrisguinther said:
kuzi16 said:
chrisguinther said:

Hey ... y'all could have a sit-down in Gainesville

Gee, did I say that??? :oops:

Ouch.

The missus likes everything I've had so far. At one point requesting I smoke when I wasn't planning too as it helped her relax, tame a headache and settle a stomach. Lucky me :)

I came in last night after smoking a Gurkha and the wife said she loved the smell, that it smelled like wood burning.

Then I told her I'd fired up the chimenea. So close . . .
--D