Cigars as a gift

Joined Aug 2005
2K Posts | 0+
Armpit of the world....Al Asad, Iraq
Hey everyone,
I'm having my first baby in Nov and would like to know what kind of cigar I should buy to pass out to everyone.
I don't want to break the bank for people that probably won't smoke it for more than 5 min and I don't want to buy crap either. Something that's mild yet tasty and that everyone will enjoy.

Then I want to get something else that I will enjoy along with a "few" choice friends and family. I like mild to medium cigars as well as the Natural by Drew Estates.

Any suggestions?

If you want the true novelty baby cigar, Bildo is correct that Fuentes makes a baby cigar with a boy or girl cello. Good smoke too as far as I can remember.

Congrats by the way,
Paul

I have ta tell ya Devil, I have been turned on the the Cusano 18. You can get a box of 18 for about $70. I paid $64 for a box yesterday.

5 Vegas -- 6x54 Torpedo or 7x52 Churchill about 2.50 each

Flor de Oliva -- 6.5x52 Torpedo, 6x50 Toro or 7x50 Churchill about 1.50 each

Both are mild to medium and pretty tasty...they come in nice big, bold sizes that are appropriate to commemorate such a grand event...hard to beat 1.50 for a nice looking gift cigar!

I picked up a box for my brother in law when my sister had her kid. The Fuente's make a great smoke, and they are only around 50.00 here. I took about ten of them, and I occasionally have one when I am driving.

When my grandson was born I purchased 3 boxes of cigars. Two were the Fuentes "It a Boy" boxes. I think they were cheep, yes very cheep. Everyone I gave them to were impressed because they were not White Owls or Marsh Wheelings. The third box was a box of AVO's. Everyone I gave those to was really impressed because they were not the "Its a Boy" cigars. I enjoyed smoking those cigars with fellow cigar smokers who were happy to help me celabrate my grandson's arrivial.
Does that give you any ideas?

Tom

For price range and "mild yet tasty", another suggestion would be La Aroma de Cuba, various sizes, can get em at around $4 each and they are very good cigars.

I'm pretty sure you can then order an its a boy or girl band to slip next to the real band.

Asica brings up a good point as well. If cost is a major problem, you can always get custom bands to replace the bands or add to the bands of the existing cigar. In that respect you could order them with the name of the child on them as well, though I am unsure the turn around time on these custom bands. All the suggestions are great ones, the Cusano products are a great product, though some may feel the c18 to be a bit stronger then milder, especially if they have no age on them (just my 2 cents). The oliva's are to die for, and would definately impress anyone who knows, or doesn't know about a quality cigar.

Hope that adds to your thoughts and aids in a decision!

Best regards,
Paul

Thanks

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I haven't tried many of those so I'll go out tonight or tomorrow and pick up a stick of each to see which one I will choose.

A friend of mine also suggested the flavored CAO Moontrance.
Anyone ever tried this?

There are some places you can order laser engraved cigars, Devildog. Not sure of the cost, but I wouldn't think it would be that much in addition to the cost of the cigars.

dbrad4d said:
There are some places you can order laser engraved cigars, Devildog. Not sure of the cost, but I wouldn't think it would be that much in addition to the cost of the cigars.

Do you know the names of these companies or their websites?

dbrad4d, you need to put up a new avatar. This one gives us nothing to look at!!! :wink:

dbrad4d said:
DevilDog,

Here's a link for one place I found for laser engraved cigars:

http://www.coronacigar.com/Laser_Engrav ... 2_pg1.html

Edit to add:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA ... 56,00.html

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.

I bought some other cigars tonight to see how they taste:
Cusano C10
Cusano 18
Flor de Oliva Maduro
Arturo Fuente Brevas Royale

I'm going to try one a night to see if I should buy a box to passout. That way, if I don't pass them all out I can keep the rest to enjoy myself!

Anyone know of a make your own cigar band program for the computer?

Eclipse_man said:
the Cusano products are a great product, though some may feel the c18 to be a bit stronger then milder, especially if they have no age on them (just my 2 cents).

Are you sure you are talking about the 18? I have never heard it described as anything but mild. It has a lot of flavor but that shouldn't be confused with it being strong. Maybe your idea of stong/mild is different. Who knows.

DevilDog, making a band on the computer is a good idea and would be very easy. Should be very easy to do in Microsoft Word. Just figure out the irng size of the cigar you are going to put it on. The ring size is 64ths of an inch. So a cigar with a ring size of 50 is 50/64. Once you know how long it will be you can make the band a little bit longer than that so when you put it on it overlaps. Then you can just take a piece of scotch tape to close it up after you wrap it on.