Clay Pipes

Joined Feb 2007
1 Posts | 0+
Hello all, just wondering if anyone knows of a good source for what I believe are called "slip" clay pipes. I can't seem to find them anymore. My local tobacconist used to carry them for like $5-7. Now the only thing he has in clay is those super long stem, thick clay tavern pipes, inpsired I'm assuming by the Lord of the Rings movies.

I mostly smoke cigarettes, as while I'm at work, I only have a few minutes to smoke, and I don't smoke in the house, so during winter, I smoke quick at home too. I have some nice briars, that I like to sit outside with during the warmer months, but was thinking I might get off the cigs all together, if I could find some small clay pipes.

I have one that I found in a shop, that's perfect, almost a little nose burner it's so small. Holds just a pinch or two of tobacco, so it makes for a quick smoke, but the clay allows the heat to disipate(sp?) so I don't have to worry about it getting too hot, and burning a briar because of the quick smoke. However, they don't know if or when, they'll ever get any more in.

If anyone could get me pointed in the right direction, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Greycat

im not that big of a pipe smoker.

that being said, if you are looking for a quick smoke pipes may not be the way to go. It may just be me but, i think a pipe should be a long drawn out relaxing thing. If you are looking for a quick smoke (15-20 min) you may want to try some small cigars. i know that Cohiba makes some tins that are quite good. If you are looking for pipe tobacco im sure that somewhere out there are pipe tobacco small cigars.

as far as pipes go this is what i found

http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/CTGY/clay

Just pack em light if you want to be a shorter smoke. However, a shorter smoke (in my opinion) is not the goal.

Clay pipes smoke hot and harsh. Also, they're easily broken.

I have a few small briars. They're not hard to find in a decent shop.

Also, it's entirely OK to light up a pipe, have a short smoke, let it go out and light it up again later -- so long as it's not over-smoked with a damp heel and condensation in the bottom of the bowl.

Not a clay pipe but I was able to find a "mini"...I think thats what itwas called. Bowl barely enough to stuff your thumb in and only hold what? 1/2...to 1/5 the amount of a "full size". Made of wood and small..small..small. Came in a goofy lil' vinal case and touted as a "Qucik smoke pipe" in a travel size.............

I have one simular to this one http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/clay/PP303G , it smokes great, the bowl does get too hot to touch but thats because the clay is thin. Just hold it by the stem. Its about 8 inches long, in my experience short pipes smoke hotter but of course it depends on how fast you smoke it too. I've also read that clays don't hold flavor so you can switch blends/types in the same pipe, I agree.