clean humidors

Joined May 2005
182 Posts | 0+
Can anyone tell me the best way to clean and care for youre humidor? I read you cant spray it with any thing and mine is all smuge and starting to show small scratches from dry wiping it. Thank you all for any ideas.

Get a damp cotten T-Shirt and just wipe it down with that. Since its a humidor i doubt a damp cloth with do much damage. Make sure to use soft cotten or you may scratch it with somthing else.

Yes, soft cotton t-shirt indeed, but you can spray the furniture polish directly on to the rag. Don't get too religious about what not to do with your humidor. I can understand not spraying anything directly on it, because before you wipe it, the theory is probably that some will seep into the opening and fumes will work their way in, but if you spray polish directly on to the rag and wipe it down well, I wouldn't worry about it.

i agree with bloof, i don't see what the harm is in cleaning the outside of the humidor. the point of a humidor is to protect the cigars from the outside world. If you don't spray cleaner directly on the humidor it seems like it would be fine.

Since we are on the subject of cleaning humidor, most articles I've read do not recommend wiping the interior with anything damp or wet, instructions came with humidor said anything wet may damage the wood. Instead, it recommends using a shot glass fill with water + humidifier came with the humidor and wait til RH reach 65-68, then it is ok to load the humidor.

I always use a damp cloth to wipe clean the interior and then use a shot glass + humidifier.

What is your take on this? Thank you for your input.

the instructions on my humidor said to wipe the inside with a damp cloth but when i did it again (it was getting really dry) the wood warped and doesnt seal as well as it did.

You do not need to clean the inside of your humidor, just empty the cigars once in a while and blow the tobacco flakes out of the inside. If you want, take the dry part of the cotton t-shirt and wipe it inside, but not with anything wet, ever. Then replace the cigars and you're back in business.

Stop this crap. Listen to bloof. I use Boveda packs @ 65 %- no problem.My opinion is that above 65% is not correct. Find your own answer.I don't care about your cigars- only mine.
Don't pre wash- just use the Boveda every three months. They are on the net and offer a great program.
Malone

Thanks everybody for all the tips. I was only refering to the out side. I would never mess with the inside of a humidor except to refill humidafier. I have to beautiful wood humidors, and being I was told to never spray them with any thing, I was wondering how to clean them up from the day to day dust. When you dry wipe them, they get small scratches on them. I like the idea of spraying the "soft cotten rag" and then wiping them. That sounds like it will work, just wanna be carefull around seal area. Thanks again to all of you on youre help here.

I season mine with a wet rage every 3 months regaurdless of what the rules/ directions say. I have never had a problem in 10 years. Everyone should find their own system that works for them.

We get really dry winters up here so during the cold months, I find that wiping the interior down with a damp cloth every so often helps maintain the humidity. Of course, though, you have to let the humidor sit for around an hour so all the moisture is absorbed and stabilized before you put your cigars back in. While doing all this, I keep my cigars in ziploc bags. I've never experienced any warping so =]