Cognac & Cigars?

Joined Dec 2006
629 Posts | 0+
CT
At one time, I used to enjoy a nice Cognac with my Cigar after dinner once in awhile. I stopped drinking Cognac and French Wines in 2003 for obvious reasons.(yes, I'm stubborn). I am rethinking my position based on the French President's recent remarks praising the USA etc. Any suggestions on a few good Cognacs and cigar pairings would be appreciated. Thanks!

flagman said:
I stopped drinking Cognac and French Wines in 2003 for obvious reasons

seriously, thats dedication. i kinda wish i woulda thought of that.

What can I tell you. The French p'd me off. I hold grudges. especially when it comes to our troops not getting help etc.

If it weren't for America, the French would be 2nd or 3rd generation German speaking. And they still hate us. I was in Paris on a lay over. It was pretty obvious.

Muerte said:
If it weren't for America, the French would be 2nd or 3rd generation German speaking.

Along with the rest of Europe and Northern Africa.. who knows where it would have stopped.

Sorry,I have never tried Cognac but like single malt scotch, it's been on my list (I've only had blended). Let me know if you find anything that stands out.

Having only a tiny, and I mean tiny bit of knowledge about cognac and it's famous flavor, I can say without hesitation that it is a legendary branch of the wonderful world of spirits and rightfully so. Although I have confined myself to the in depth exploration and knowledge of bourbon and rye, I would never refuse a glass of cognac, especially something good.

I am saying this also because one of the greatest bourbons I have ever tried, still No. 9 on my all-time Top 25, is the Distiller's Masterpiece I from the Jim Beam Distillery. This is a 99 proof bourbon which was aged 18 years, then an additional year or two in old cognac barrels. It is sometimes referred to as Distiller's Masterpiece - Cognac Finish.

The telltale aroma and flavor of fine cognac do indeed make their presence boldly known in this fine bourbon. It is because of the taste of that bourbon alone that I became more inclined to study a bit about cognac years ago, when I bought my one and only bottle of DM.

I would recommend that anyone curious about cognac jump right in. There are probably more great cognac-cigar pairings than cigar-bourbon pairings, because of a wider variety of good cognacs on the market. Although I studied a bit years ago about the process, I have never chosen to divert any funding toward it, and funds are virtually nil these days, so the past two years I've missed a few new issue bourbons, like most of last year's Antique Collection.

I sure would like to hear from some of the more experienced cognac drinkers here, since I'm interested in hearing about experiences, brands, and just plain learning something out of the box I've put myself in, hee, hee, heee!!!

Thanks guys. I love Bourbon and I think I will try the Jim Beam that Bloof suggested. Might stop by the Liquor Store tonite and see if they have it in stock. I still feel better about giving Tennessee or Kentucky my money than France! Thanks

Hey guys...ive never really had cognac before but would love to check it out...what would be a nice cognac for me to try that isnt expensive

ClarkBass said:
Hey guys...ive never really had cognac before but would love to check it out...what would be a nice cognac for me to try that isnt expensive

ditto.