Cohiba ? - Not a Red Dot

Joined Feb 2006
340 Posts | 0+
smoking with the snake doctor
A friend gave me this cigar and I can't find it on the web.
The band has Cohiba Limited Reserve on it.

Its not a red dot - not made for sale in the U.S.

I know there are some D.R. Cohiba's made exclusively for sale in the D.R. - could it be one of those?

Is it Cuban? :D Is it a fake? :cry: :evil:

Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• cohiba 1.JPG
    cohiba 1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 720
  • cohiba 2.JPG
    cohiba 2.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 739
  • cohiba 3.JPG
    cohiba 3.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 739
you can search it online. some of the international sites that sell Q's have images. if it is the real deal, that's a nice gift from your friend, the standard Cohiba's are super expensive, and the limiteds are even more...

Its hard to tell in the pics but if its supposed to be Cuban, sorry, but no. The font is wrong as well as spaced too far apart, the dots are off and if it was an EL, it would have a different band on it all together.

As far as it being a Montecristi Cohiba (the ones in which General won the lawsuit over), maybe, but the ones I have seen have Dominican Republic (IIRC) under the Cohiba logo. Either way, you have a companion for all the Phillies and White Owls. :lol:

Things like this have happened several times to me, I just look at it as an affirmation of my friends' care.

Alex Svenson said:
Looks like a Cuban Counterfit.

There must be some "value" in that - how many of us can say that we have a real Cuban Counterfeit? :lol:

I say give it a good rest, smoke it in the spring, and let us know how it went - at the very least you could have a good smoke out of it!!

I've seen several fakes that look like that. I've been a sucker for them from time to time. But I've learned now... until someone else gives me another fake.

I got a couple of "Cohibas" from a neighbor last night who saw me smoking a 5 vegas Serie A and said since I like cigars he had something for me. One's a Siglo V I believe (~6.75 x 42 or 44). The other is an Edicion Limitada 2005 (~6 x 50) The bands are perfect - raised lettering, great color, definitely not done in someone's print shop. Looking at the cap, i'd say they're probably not genuine, but it's hard to tell with the siglo because it's kind of beaten up. The siglo V and it has a few pronounced veins, which i hear is pretty unlike them. The other is an edicion limitada 2005 and has a slightly darker wrapper than the siglo. They smell different prelight from other cigars I've smelled. What tips me off is he says he got them pretty cheap (100 or so a box) from a guy he knew who could barely speak english. I don't know how anyone would sell real cohibas that cheap. I doubt they're real, but with the quality of the bands and the way the cigars smell they may be cuban, just not cohiba. Either way, awesome gesture from my neighbor and free smokes. I'll be smoking one tonight and see how it goes. He says he has a few more.

BTW, thanks Bikeman for helping me get to the bottom of this mystery via chat last night!

The price is the indicator on that one. There are some great fakes out there that past all of the asthetic tests. I even have gotten some remarkable counterfeit tubes. Bottom line is you never know until you smoke them.