Costa Rican Tarrazu

Joined Jul 2005
3K Posts | 0+
MI
I am on a huge coffee kick since I started reading this forum. I bought 1.5 lbs of Cost Rican Tarrazu last night, and could not wait to grind it up this morning. I really like it, but not very robust? No bitterness, and it does have a bit of body. Once again, I call on everyone for some input. Thanks!! Ryan

Haven't had this one specifically. Found an awesome shop a few blocks from my office that sells cigars and roasts their own coffee. They have quite a few really good selections. I just finished up a pound of Zimbabwe AA and will probably try one of the Peaberrys next. I tend to like my coffee to be able to reach out and smack me in the face, so some of the milder ones will probably not be on my list.

I bought a 1.5 lb of Kauai Peaberry, and it didn't seem to have much body. I hear Vince talk about the Tanzanian Peaberry all the time. I wonder what the real difference is.

Yep - the Tanzanian Peaberry is what I'm getting next...

Another one I really liked was called Ethiopian Yirgacheffe - you might want to see if you can get some. Very tasty.

cybrus said:
Another one I really liked was called Ethiopian Yirgacheffe - you might want to see if you can get some. Very tasty.

I have seen it, but never really paid much attention to it. Maybe the next trip I can pick up a pound. I am also in the market for a new coffee pot. I have the Bunn thermal carrafe sp? now, its nice for regular everyday brewing, but if I am going to spend this kind of money on coffee, I want the most I can get from it.

I know what you mean. I have a pretty nice drip coffee maker (the Cuisinart Brew Central because it has a timer so I can have coffee ready when I wake up), but I want a press too - I can deal with a bit of coffee grounds in my coffee if it will taste better.

I also want to get a better bean grinder - I have a cheap electric one currently.

The latest designs of the Freedom Press have a screen built into the top of the plunger, so that when you pour, even more of the sediment is trapped, leaving an even cleaner cup of coffee. It won't be sediment free, but the press method is evolving as time goes on.

As for Ethiopian Yrgacheffe and La Minita Tarrazu from Costa Rica, we're talking two of my favorites. La Minita is probably No. 3 on my list, and what I would have to say is "perfect coffee," just my opinion, of course.

For good hand grinders, even though I pretty much boycott German products, I have to say Zassenhaus makes some of the finest, and most beautiful hand grinders on the market. You can't go wrong with a Zassenhaus. I've used a small one for 14 years, with about 550 pounds of coffee run through it so far, still grinding just fine.

Just got back from the coffee store - one pound of Tanzanian Peaberry in my bag and a hot cup of Kona on my desk - they had Kona as their 'coffee of the day' - great deal!

Thanks for the grinder suggestion Bloof - might have to pick one of those up soon.