Cuban cigars

Joined May 2007
168 Posts | 0+
Northern California
Just a general question from a real cigar novice.... can a person trust that Cuban cigars bought in Canada or Mexico are genuine Cuban cigars?

A person can go online and find sources for them from lots of places but I'm just wondering about the authenticity of what they're offering for sale.

Thanks for any info you may care to pass along.

Marty

almost any cigar bought in Mexico is going to be fake. Just the way it is.

In Canada there is a pretty large tax on tobacco so that is one thing that may cause trouble.

But Cuban cigars are illegal for an American citizen to posses anywhere. Please under stand that if you chose to purchase something form the Internet you do so with the chance of incurring some pretty heavy fines if your package is confiscated.

Reactions: 1 users
no, cigars in Mexico and Canada can not be trusted is what I think Castlecrest is saying

I actually just posted the same type of topic the other day. But I got to thinking about it and have read a lot about cubans. I think there are tons of cigars that are equal too or even beat cubans that we have readily available to us in America. Besides. If you try and get some from Canada the tax is so ridiculous that you would feel like your rolling up hundreds and smoking them. Not worth it to me. But thats just my opinion. If you are really just wanting to try some maybe you should just start herfin around and see if you can meet some fellow cigar smokers that might have 1 or 2 that you can try from them. Thats what I plan on doing. but I am in no hurry. There are plenty of quality smokes in my humi right now that I can't wait to smoke. Honestly, there isn't even enough time in a day for cigar smokers.

biggeek69 said:
CastleCrest said:

No what? Please explain...

No real Cubans in Mexico - I don't care what anyone says!
Well there are 1 or 2 places - literally!

Canada has lots of good Cubans, but as many have said -
your paying out the butt for them.

As for better or worse - IMHO Cubans are the best!
At this time the good old USA is fining people all the time for buying
cubans online & people need to be careful!!!!!!!!

I am with emeisner on this one. I am in Canada and can smoke any Cuban I like perfectly legally, but the price makes it simply not an option.

There are plenty of other cigars in the world, and I have it as my goal to try as many as I can before I get into those expensive "other cigars."

Hello. Haven't visited the forum for a while but I have a couple questions that I'm confident someone can answer for me.

First, when hand-rolled cigars are made is some type of glue or other binder used to hold the wrapper on? If so, what is usually used?

Second, has anyone had any dealings with the Conch Republic Cigar Factory in Key West, Florida? They have an interesting (to me, anyway) website and since I'll be in Key West in June I thought I'd like to visit them. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with them or their product.

Thanks ,

J. L. Marta

jlmarta, as far as I know, pectim (vegitable glue) is only applied to the head of the cigar to hold the cap on which in turn keeps the wrapper from coming unraveled. Pectim is 100% natural and is also used to hold the cigar band on.

As far as Conch goes, I have no experiece with the brand but Perelman's Cyclopedia shows about 15 sizes in Conneticut or maduro wrappers.

Hope this helps!

DL

Thanks muchly to Dustini for the info. I've been out of touch for a little while or I'd have answered sooner. Sorry for the delay.

I was pleased to learn of the CigarCyclopedia. I hadn't heard of it before and it contains a heckuva bunch of info - - all of which is good for a novice like myself.

Thanks again,

J. L. Marta

Another question comes to mind. Does anyone have any knowledge, thoughts, or opinions regarding whether cigar manufacturers follow the lead of the cigarette makers in enhancing the addictive qualities of the tobacco?

I'm referring mainly to handmade cigars but to all kinds in general. I'd be interested in any input anyone might have to offer.

Thanks,

J. L. Marta

part of what maked a good cigar good is that it is a 100% natural product.
Any quality cigar maker would settle for nothing less than 100% natural. ... some wouldnt settle for less than organic. no additives ever.

this is also why you need a humidor. there are no additives. no preservatives. a humidor preserves the cigar, not chemicals.

kuzi16 said:
part of what maked a good cigar good is that it is a 100% natural product.
Any quality cigar maker would settle for nothing less than 100% natural. ... some wouldnt settle for less than organic. no additives ever.

this is also why you need a humidor. there are no additives. no preservatives. a humidor preserves the cigar, not chemicals.

I got to agree with Matt on this one. Cigars are not the same tobacco as cigs. It is all natural no additives. I think the only thing they add to cigars is a bit or moisture to the leafs as they are being rolled.

Unless you smoke Acid. I tried my first one last week. :grumble: The smell really got me.

Hmmmm...... I couldn't find the VOMITING smilies.

DL

Dustinl said:
Unless you smoke Acid. I tried my first one last week. :grumble: The smell really got me.

DL

Are you saying it's normal for their smell to be bad?? Maybe I'll scratch Acid off my list of ones to try.

Marty

jlmarta said:
Dustinl said:

DL

Are you saying it's normal for their smell to be bad?? Maybe I'll scratch Acid off my list of ones to try.

Marty

Marty, I had two last weekend. One was the Liquid and the other the Blondie. The smell was a cross between cologne and strong potpouri. I don't find either smell to offensive but they just don't work in a cigar. The problem was, in my mind I could still smell those things a couple of days after. For me, it was actually nausiating. My wife thought they smelled horrible.

As far as you trying them, its just something you'll have to do. I heard that they were bad but it didn't stop me. Now I know. I will say this, I won't be trying the other blends.

DL

lincolnprins said:
You'd be better off spending your money on Backwoods.

Ageed! I have smoked one and put it out about 1/4 the way through it. For some reason it seems to be the "trendy" thing to amoke. I always laugh when I hear people talk about them. Some people say the Drew Estates have some good sticks, the ACID line makes me question everything about DE and I will never purchas a cigar from them again!
that is my opinion, and it should be yours :thumbsup:

PS...Why are we talking about ACID on the cuban forum???

B128thopen said:
PS...Why are we talking about ACID on the cuban forum???

I was wondering the same thing....soooo i smoked a Partagas Short the other night from Early 2007...full bodied smoke that relaly pleased my palate!! I have 1 more and will leave that in the humi for another 6-12 months and try it out then...