Dartigalongue 1966 Bas Armagnac

G

I bought a bottle of Dartigalongue 1966 Bas Armagnac at Beverages and More over a year ago and finally popped the cork last Friday evening. I am not a heavy drinker; usually a bottle of such fine spirits will last several weeks. Here it is a mere five evenings later and I am enjoying the last shot and looking at the empty bottle. This stuff is as velvety smooth with a wonderful bouquet of fruit. I liked this so much that I went out yesterday and bought a bottle of the 1967. At close to two Benjamen's after sales tax this is not for every day but it is something that can be enjoyed over the holiday season.

Cheers

FYI: Bev'Mo had twenty, thirty and fifty year bottles in stock before Christmas.

For those who don't already know; Armagnac is very similar to Cognac except it is usually distilled once which preserves more of the fruit. I am pretty sure that like Cognac; it is distilled using an alembic still (A still with a water jacket) which prevents the high levels of heat possible in direct heating. This prevents the delicate flavors from being consumed by the heat.

Re:

Hollow Point said:
I have the X.O.

Decent brandy.
I recently bought a bottle of this for my brother and was very surprised at how smooth it was. I actually liked it more than an expensive bottle of 1975 Pierre Ferrand "Memories" cognac. Enough that I bought a bottle for myself along with a bottle of Marie Duffau ten year.

I've noticed a trend in Cognac over the past years towards a lighter body accompanied with a harsher finish. The Armagnac I have tried in the same time frame has possessed more body, more flavor and a smoother velvety finish. No point in wasting more money on Cognac.